Boom or bust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 60)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most interior designer opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Saunderstown, Rhode Island

96 months ago

I am wondering the same thing. It appears that I am spending a lot of money on advnced education and there a few jobs available. Mostly retail sales with and interior Design background. Commissioned based and if U don't make your cut you get cut...what have U heard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Wanderer in Saint Louis, Missouri

94 months ago

Looking purely from a CAD perspective, at a survey on www.augi.com, I don't see Interior Design as being one of the higher paid fields, unfortunately. But, it does look like they report decent levels of job security compared to some others. And they're reporting an average raise of just over 6%, which sound good. Huh... the job satisfaction and benefits don't rank so swell, though.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jules in Raleigh, North Carolina

93 months ago

I amabout to give up on my degree. I have been tryin for the past 6 years to make a living at this only to no avail. When I graduated, I wanted to work in commercial design, but because of the economy interior design jobs were cut except for all the retail ID jobs. Well now the economy is beginning to look up and all the Commercial ID jobs won't hire you unless you have commercial experience. I feel like I can't catch a break. I just wish someone would give me a chance in commercial design! I don't want to leave the interior design field, I love it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cortnie in Chicago, Illinois

92 months ago

I am almost done with my Interior Design degree and unfortunately have been having so many worries and doubts. I love commercial design, but I don't have any real experience in it. I would love to do something a little different, or work with an architectural firm, but so far, all I've found is that if you don't have a degree in architecture, architects can be pretty snobby. Has anyone heard of any jobs related to interior design that are out there? I've heard of Set Design...any others? Will other jobs hire you with an interior design degree if the job has nothing to do with design? As long as you have a bachelors? I'm graduating in a few months and starting to have doubts and many questions about what's out there for me.. Any advice or thoughts??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

Cortnie,

There are probably a few options out there, but, some stuff can be sort of obscure. Have you just tried random job posting searches to see what types of hits you see over and again?

;) Working in Engineering, I'll resist commenting on Architects' behaviour.

From my own workplace, I'd say it might be worth checking out a Hospital, College Campus or other large Facility. I work for a hospital, and we have a lot of space designed by a lot of Architects, and we have Interior Designers who work in our Construction Management department who sort of try and keep everything looking nice with some consistent looks without making it look dull. I mean, who wants to walk into a shabby medical facility or pay for their kid to go to a disjointed-looking university?

Just a thought, there are probably plenty of options, that's just one that I've seen first-hand. And, I know we've got at least one mid-sized firm in my city that does both architectural and interior design, so I'm sure there are more.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cacey in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

92 months ago

I just recently graduated from the Art Institute of Pgh. I have been just surfing the web everyday and looking for new job postings. The only way to find what your interested in is to search for it and it will come. Like I once read in a fourtune cookie "Follow your dreams, and the necessary resources will follow".

Gook luck!

Cacey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gwyna Davis in Winston Salem, North Carolina

89 months ago

Cacey in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I just recently graduated from the Art Institute of Pgh. I have been just surfing the web everyday and looking for new job postings. The only way to find what your interested in is to search for it and it will come. Like I once read in a fourtune cookie "Follow your dreams, and the necessary resources will follow".

Gook luck!

Cacey

I recently graduated from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online in the Residential Planning program also. I, too, have been surfing the web. I live in a small town and I have found that there are not many opportunities. I was in a diploma program. I strongly recommend a 4 year degree program and experience to get hired. By all means, know CAD and sales. I have been doing some home improvements to include in a portfolio. Another good suggestion is to get a web page and post your portfolio there and send it along with your resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pieces in Miami, Florida

88 months ago

There are a few jobs in Miami, and Ft. Lauderdale... Yes everyone wants experience but if ou are flexible enough to not chase money in the beginning you may have to work for pennies but the experience is can catapult you to where you want to be. Commercial Design is hard work, and more work than you will ever be financially be compensated for, but when you make it, the personal gratification is priceless.

You can check out Visual merchandising for cosmetic and retail companies... cabinetry etc. All large brands have this function in their marketing department. Estee Lauder, Elizabeth Arden, Lancome ... but it is not called Interior Design but your skills such as CAD are what they use. Quite interesting and VEEEEEEEEEEERY well paying.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Amiyah in Virginia

86 months ago

I graduated with a Bachelors degree in Interior Design many years ago. I found it impossible to find a ID job in my city. I took a job in Visual Merchandising at a Museum. The work was not specifically interior design, but I learned a lot about project management,fabrication and installation,and working with other members of the design team. The experience was priceless, and the pay was good. Nonetheless, my real desire was to do interior design, and finding a ID job was still difficult. In time I changed careers and went into a totally different field. Hindsight is 20/20, and interior design continues to be my true love. So, I am back to square one, a little wiser and much more determined. My advice is be persistent, be flexible, keep learning and refining your design skills, and be true to yourself. Do what you love!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maricel in Chicago, Illinois

85 months ago

Cortnie in Chicago, Illinois said: I am almost done with my Interior Design degree and unfortunately have been having so many worries and doubts. I love commercial design, but I don't have any real experience in it. I would love to do something a little different, or work with an architectural firm, but so far, all I've found is that if you don't have a degree in architecture, architects can be pretty snobby. Has anyone heard of any jobs related to interior design that are out there? I've heard of Set Design...any others? Will other jobs hire you with an interior design degree if the job has nothing to do with design? As long as you have a bachelors? I'm graduating in a few months and starting to have doubts and many questions about what's out there for me.. Any advice or thoughts??

Cortnie, I am a Facilities Coordinator for a large insurance company. This is a less design, more coordination and space planning field that you can do with your ID degree. I want to stress that there is very little design involved. I am responsible for 2000 people in the building, coordinating moves, ordering furniture when needed and coordinating construction as well. It's a fun job and something to look into if you are more technical. Just a thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

gunther_arneson in San Francisco, California

85 months ago

Does anyone know how to navigate the San Francisco, CA interior decorator job market?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Design, Construction, Remodeling in Frisco, Texas

85 months ago

Jules in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I amabout to give up on my degree. I have been tryin for the past 6 years to make a living at this only to no avail. When I graduated, I wanted to work in commercial design, but because of the economy interior design jobs were cut except for all the retail ID jobs. Well now the economy is beginning to look up and all the Commercial ID jobs won't hire you unless you have commercial experience. I feel like I can't catch a break. I just wish someone would give me a chance in commercial design! I don't want to leave the interior design field, I love it!

After decades of woking in a couple of different industries I can tell you that anytime you change specific industries in most types of jobs you'll experience the same "can't catch a break." The reason being that even with experience there is always 1 person who has =equal experience & transferrable skills in the precise industry.

I experience the same thing you are on my 1st out of college job search and each time I changed specific industries. Eventually something turned up. Just as "they" the employer only needs to hire 1 person.... you only need to find 1 company willing to give you a shot.

In the mean time, have you tired a short term plan of working at a commercial fabric or similar store? Other than saying that you have some work experience that's similar & making a few minor bucks..... you will be highly likely to estb relationships with contractors, women who have connections and Interior Designors w/ more experience... you help them & one might take you under their wing to give you a shot.

Oh, and hopefully you'll remember this moment in your life when you've become a success. Give someone w/out experience or someone with tons of experience in a different industry a huge break.

Just a thought. Wish you well.
May all the Positive Energy in the World drop down on you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Design, Construction, Remodeling, Homes in Frisco, Texas

85 months ago

Are there any Interior Designers, Individuals doing a remodel, Remodelers, Builders, Home, Real Estate field people out there in the Dallas Ft. Worth extended area or similar who are looking for a Granite or Marble fabricator to work with on a one time or regular basis?

I have been highly successful for years in sales, management and sales management in the technical industries and property management. My true interest is in Design projects that use Granite, Marble and natural elements inside or outside.

I have moved to a company that follows this "true interest" and I'd love to find people to become mutually successful with. People who I can benefit and mesh our different strengths into success.

Any advice from anyone?
Any recommended websites?

I'm looking for people who want to work together for mutual success..... and of course earnings.

The Granite & Marble interior elements is a very strong market.

Interior Designers....you design it and I'll get the work completed with huge customer satisfaction.

Can anyone advise me on a specific path to find, network & build friendly working relationships with?
Looking for more connections and more resources.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed ID grad in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

85 months ago

At the age of of 42 in 1998, I decided to go back to school for a second b.a. in interior design. I graduated in 2003 and have yet to land a full-time job. I came close last year, part-time as a design assistant. After 5 months of working less that 16 hours a week, my full-time working husband had enough and begged me to find ANY full-time job. So I became a receptionist. I think part of the problem is that ID is a hidden job market. You hear "so-and-so is looking for a design", and these jobs are never going to be in newspaper - very rare.I live 26 miles south of cleveland so that is the largest closet market for me. I would love to do something create. But at this point, I choices are slim and none. I regret not being able to continue my journey in design. I regret having to let go of my ASID membership, but it was too expensive and I'm not a "working professional". Where I'll go from here I don't know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amiyah in Richmond, Virginia

85 months ago

Your journey is similar to my own. I too found it very hard to find a job in ID after graduation. As a result I went into the health care field. I agree with you, most jobs are by word of mouth and through connections ...who you know, or someone who knows someone that's hiring. I feel this makes getting that first break in ID difficult. Nevertheless, it can be done! New graduates and people re-entering the field of ID ARE getting jobs so it's not impossible. Do you still attend the ASID meetings in your area? Can they help you to find a entry-level position? Have you tried some other avenues as a springboard to ID... areas such as visual presentation, or working for a retailer that offers ID services? The idea is to start somewhere, get as much experience and knowledge as you can and move on. If interior design is your passion keep looking for ways to break into the field. After 10 years in health care I still have a desire to work in ID, and I believe where there's a will there's a way. Don't give up on you journey.
Best wishes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Charlottesville, Virginia

85 months ago

I am in the middle of a career transition (a very long one as it turns out) and have been considering interior design very seriously. I am also leaning towards doing something in the allied health field (physical therapy, occupational therapy, etc.), but I can't seem to make a firm decision. I don't have a design background; however, I have a real love for space and am fascinated with the way environments tend to make real psychic impacts on people. I've been a real estate appraiser the past few years. I have been thinking hard about healthcare design, but because of my lack of background, I have a lot of concern about finding a job and being successful-- I have a lot of friends who are artists in varying mediums/industries who are talented and struggle as well. Naturally, I would go back and get my master's (my BA is in English), but I am curious about a lot of practical aspects like job opportunities, geographical limitations, career advancement, and salary/income progress over the long haul. Does anyone have any suggestions? Comments? Is the field really so competitive?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Change in Frisco, Texas

85 months ago

Hi, I've done a great deal of research myself. The tech industry isn't particularly stable to say the least. Interior Design, like Real Estate & Art, is high risk and based on your self-marketing skills.....just as much as your design skills. You will need to advertise heavily, network heavily & succeed at single design jobs many times before you start making a reasonable living.
Like an actress/actor or a sports person, sure one in a million is successful & makes tons of money. The others live on tight budgets and 2nd jobs.
Sooooo, you must decide in advance if you really want it & have the stamina to last out more than a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Change in Frisco, Texas

85 months ago

Pieces in Miami, Florida said: There are a few jobs in Miami, and Ft. Lauderdale... Yes everyone wants experience but if ou are flexible enough to not chase money in the beginning you may have to work for pennies but the experience is can catapult you to where you want to be. Commercial Design is hard work, and more work than you will ever be financially be compensated for, but when you make it, the personal gratification is priceless.

You can check out Visual merchandising for cosmetic and retail companies... cabinetry etc. All large brands have this function in their marketing department. Estee Lauder, Elizabeth Arden, Lancome ... but it is not called Interior Design but your skills such as CAD are what they use. Quite interesting and VEEEEEEEEEEERY well paying.

Good Luck!

When you say VEEEEEEEEEERY well paying, exactly what $$$$ amount range?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Change in Frisco, Texas

85 months ago

Cortnie in Chicago, Illinois said: I am almost done with my Interior Design degree..... Has anyone heard of any jobs related to interior design that are out there? I've heard of Set Design...any others? Will other jobs hire you with an interior design degree if the job has nothing to do with design? As long as you have a bachelors? I'm graduating in a few months and starting to have doubts and many questions about what's out there for me.. Any advice or thoughts??

Years ago I experience the same thing. Interior Designers told me the market was flooded. A bit of research proved to me that the comments on ID on this board were the same as they were then. Limiting. Low Paying for most. Hard to get off the ground unless you have someone else agreeing to support you long term. This wasn't enough pay for me to live as a self-paying for my life person.

I completed my degree in Business. Some Universities allow you to have a degree in Interior Design with Business or a Business degree w/ Interior Design. I would highly suggest you stay in school if at all possible and get a business degree to ensure that you can get jobs well into the future.

The problem w/ a specialty degree like ID is that it's tooooo specialized. If you need a job that different to get a good pay check or if you need a job that is Marketable to the real world hiring manager Interior Design won't do it.... unless you get a major break with a Design company. Who else really needs Interior Design skills if you're not in that industry? See my point!

Can you get a Business Degree (an entirely separate degree in business) while working at a "starter" job in Interior Design?
You will need it.

Change in Frisco, Texas

85 months ago

Unemployed ID grad in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio said: At the age of of 42 in 1998, I decided to go back to school for a second b.a. in interior design. I graduated in 2003 and have yet to land a full-time job. I came close last year, part-time as a design assistant. After 5 months of working less that 16 hours a week, my full-time working husband had enough and begged me to find ANY full-time job. So I became a receptionist. I think part of the problem is that ID is a hidden job market. You hear "so-and-so is looking for a design", and these jobs are never going to be in newspaper - very rare.I live 26 miles south of cleveland so that is the largest closet market for me. I would love to do something create. But at this point, I choices are slim and none. I regret not being able to continue my journey in design. I regret having to let go of my ASID membership, but it was too expensive and I'm not a "working professional". Where I'll go from here I don't know.

True. If you don't like in a "market" for your degree to be useful it's rather just a hobby. 26 miles isn't that far. Have you been advertising in specific areas? What about advertising in specifically upper middle class neighborhoods?

If you live outside of a major town that means you also probably don't know many people/contacts in "the city."
How can you get going w/out referrals....you have no contacts.

You will need to join a networking group IN the part of town that you think will be good prospects for customers.

A PROSPECT is someone who has money to pay you AND wants the service.

If a person wants the service but doesn't have money... move on... they are not a prospect.

My 1st thought is join a WOMEN's Profession group where the women are from many different industries. Make new friends. Go meet them for lunch..... not just to ask for their business.

Texas Remodelers in Frisco, Texas

85 months ago

I'm looking for the best people to be involved in business with to compliment my work in Granite & Marble in the N Dallas/suburbs area. Any recommendations?

Who is the title of the person in the building industry for me to contact? Customer builder contact? Volumne builder contact person?

What is the best source for reaching individuals who want to remodel and have the money to do so?

How about Remodelers?

Know of any companies that can work in conjunction with a Granite & Marble fabricator as the wholesale/retail/remodeler?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Builder, Remodel. Commercial, homes in Frisco, Texas

85 months ago

Other than trade shows. What organizations or such can I participate in to become knowledgable about the "inside scoop" in the industry in North Dallas and Suburbia?

Interior Designer ? Real Estate ? What other industries will wrap around & compliment? Hotel Builders, Spa Builders, Custom Home Builders, Volume Home Builders, Individuals.

What is the best direction to get QUICKLY on the inside track of wholesale / retail / individual fabricator success? I'm in a very well established Granite & Marble company.

Comments Here or private comments to:
SpringfieldNow@yahoo.com

lm in Miami, Florida

84 months ago

Pieces in Miami, Florida said: There are a few jobs in Miami, and Ft. Lauderdale... Yes everyone wants experience but if ou are flexible enough to not chase money in the beginning you may have to work for pennies but the experience is can catapult you to where you want to be. Commercial Design is hard work, and more work than you will ever be financially be compensated for, but when you make it, the personal gratification is priceless.

Good Luck!

what exactly do visual merchandisers do? also, do you or ANYONE else know what jobs in different fields that use CAD and photoshop etc..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Is commercial interior design a better job market overall as opposed to going out on your own? Does attract a different type of designer? How technical is the field?

Design Career in Frisco, Texas

84 months ago

Ann in Charlottesville, Virginia said: Is commercial interior design a better job market overall as opposed to going out on your own? Does attract a different type of designer? How technical is the field?

Have you tried the Granite & Marble fabricators. No not the retail shops but the people with the actual machines that do the work? You do need design savvy to be able to help choose the correct colors & the grain of the stones flow.
You'd work with builders & individuals.

Only go to the big fabricators. Lots up your way. Be sure they are a member of the Marble Institute of American. It will help ensure longevity of your own job & high standards for your own reputation.

Just a thought

84 months ago

Thank you very much...I will look into that.

84 months ago

lm in Miami, Florida said: what exactly do visual merchandisers do? also, do you or ANYONE else know what jobs in different fields that use CAD and photoshop etc..

Here's an Example of a company in my area who mentions skills like yours on there general webpage:

Ikemire Architects offers a wide range of services including architecture, space planning, feasibility studies, CADD/drafting, adaptive reuse, accessibility/ADA, and interior design/graphics. Our projects are on time and on budget with full control.

84 months ago

Jules in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I amabout to give up on my degree. I have been tryin for the past 6 years to make a living at this only to no avail. When I graduated, I wanted to work in commercial design, but because of the economy interior design jobs were cut except for all the retail ID jobs. Well now the economy is beginning to look up and all the Commercial ID jobs won't hire you unless you have commercial experience. I feel like I can't catch a break. I just wish someone would give me a chance in commercial design! I don't want to leave the interior design field, I love it!

Send me your contact information. I may have a Job lead for you.
SpringfieldNow@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Cortnie in Chicago, Illinois said: I am almost done with my Interior Design degree and unfortunately have been having so many worries and doubts. I love commercial design, but I don't have any real experience in it. I would love to do something a little different, or work with an architectural firm, but so far, all I've found is that if you don't have a degree in architecture, architects can be pretty snobby. Has anyone heard of any jobs related to interior design that are out there? I've heard of Set Design...any others? Will other jobs hire you with an interior design degree if the job has nothing to do with design? As long as you have a bachelors? I'm graduating in a few months and starting to have doubts and many questions about what's out there for me.. Any advice or thoughts??

SpringfieldNow@yahoo.com

84 months ago

Gwyna Davis in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: I recently graduated from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online in the Residential Planning program also. I, too, have been surfing the web. I live in a small town and I have found that there are not many opportunities. I was in a diploma program. I strongly recommend a 4 year degree program and experience to get hired. By all means, know CAD and sales. I have been doing some home improvements to include in a portfolio. Another good suggestion is to get a web page and post your portfolio there and send it along with your resume.

SpringfieldNow@yahoo.com

84 months ago

Amiyah in Virginia said: I graduated with a Bachelors degree in Interior Design many years ago. I found it impossible to find a ID job in my city. I took a job in Visual Merchandising at a Museum. The work was not specifically interior design, but I learned a lot about project management,fabrication and installation,and working with other members of the design team. The experience was priceless, and the pay was good. Nonetheless, my real desire was to do interior design, and finding a ID job was still difficult. In time I changed careers and went into a totally different field. Hindsight is 20/20, and interior design continues to be my true love. So, I am back to square one, a little wiser and much more determined. My advice is be persistent, be flexible, keep learning and refining your design skills, and be true to yourself. Do what you love!

SpringfieldNow@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Unemployed ID grad in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio said: At the age of of 42 in 1998, I decided to go back to school for a second b.a. in interior design. I graduated in 2003 and have yet to land a full-time job. I came close last year, part-time as a design assistant. After 5 months of working less that 16 hours a week, my full-time working husband had enough and begged me to find ANY full-time job. So I became a receptionist. I think part of the problem is that ID is a hidden job market. You hear "so-and-so is looking for a design", and these jobs are never going to be in newspaper - very rare.I live 26 miles south of cleveland so that is the largest closet market for me. I would love to do something create. But at this point, I choices are slim and none. I regret not being able to continue my journey in design. I regret having to let go of my ASID membership, but it was too expensive and I'm not a "working professional". Where I'll go from here I don't know.

SpringfieldNow@yahoo.com

84 months ago

Ann in Charlottesville, Virginia said: Thank you very much...I will look into that.

SpringfieldNow@yahoo.com

Job Interior Design in Frisco, Texas

84 months ago

Interior Design, Interior Architecture, Registered Architect, NCARB, Staff Supervision, Project Management, Construction, Customer Service,

Interior Design Project Architect

Are you a Registered Architect with 10 + years of Interior Design experience?

SpringfieldNow@yahoo.com

gunther_arneson in San Francisco, California

84 months ago

Are there any good resources out there that would help aspiring interior designers with career guidance, job placement, etc.?

JENESSA MORGAN in PINCKNEY, Michigan

83 months ago

I already have an Assoicates Degree in Computer Drafting And Design that i have recieved from ITT Technical Institute and I am looking to get my bachelors in Interior Design at The Art Institute. I just honestly do not want to waste my money if there is no way I am going to get a job. I know the job market is nothing in michigan and I would have to move but I honestly do not see to many jobs out there for Interior Design. I just want to make sure what I am going for is going to get me somewhere after I am finished.

Cortnie in Oceanside, California

83 months ago

I understand where you're coming from. If you want to move, the jobs are out there, even now when the market is down. I see a lot of job listings on websites, the only hard thing is actually getting started, because it seems to me that all these jobs want 3-5 or 5-7 years of experience! That's the boat I'm in right now - just graduated from the Art Institute with my Bachelor's in Interior Design, and I have about 1 year experience. It can be really really hard to get started, especially if you're one of those people (like me) who graduate and want to start a great job right away. My husband keeps reminding me that I'm only 22 and that I have to have a job I may not enjoy as much for awhile until I can work my way up to apply (and actually qualify) for those better jobs. It depends on if you possibly mind waiting like that and trying to get any experience possible. I'm not sure where you'd be looking to move, but I've lived my whole life in Chicago and just recently moved to Southern California, so if its hard to get jobs where I've been, it's going to be hard to get jobs anywhere, but it is definately possible - you just have to be thankful for what you get and have patience. Also, the job market might be totally different when you finish your degree, so you never know - good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

salary.com in Frisco, Texas

83 months ago

Virtually all jobs i all industries require you to start at the bottom doing less enjoyable things.

The only way around this is to: 1. Be self-employed 2. Be hired into your families business.

In other words, if your family does not have an established business you'll either be working at entry-level or you'll need to work for yourself with rare exception.

The one theme I see repeatedly on the forum is apparently the Interior Design schools don't speak much about business operations, marketing and such. I had a dentist who also is a Dental professor tell me that this was the main problem of dentist too. No business classes in the Dental programs.

Marketing is a must.

$100,000 + industries & titles in Frisco, Texas

83 months ago

So, what are the highest paying jobs for mid-experience level managers & sales & project manager and such. Where is the money for the best paying jobs/industries?

What's the specific titles and functions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

$100,000+ in Frisco, Tx,

I know it's slanted toward CAD/Design applications, but, there is a listing available through an organization called AUGI that shows highest paying job titles and disciplines in order of high to low average.

You do have to be signed in to view the documents, but, it's a free membership...

channel is www.augi.com/surveys
the specific link is www.augi.com/surveys/default.asp?page=1053

a document called 'Fast Stats' shows 'Interior Design' as the lowest-paying discipline (with an average annual salary of 43k), but, it also shows that Interior Designers garnered decent pay increases the previous year versus some of the other disciplines.

Now, 'Project Manager' is one of the higher paying job titles, with an average salary of nearly 56k. Obviously it all varies (geography, experience level, gender, etc), it seems to me that there are always ads in the paper around here for Project Managers.

There are also specific documents on that page that provide greater overviews of each industry and job title (like ages, education levels, years of experience, pay, raises, etc).

I hope that helps at least a little... Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Very helpful - Industry - Career Change in Frisco, Texas

83 months ago

Wanderer in Saint Louis, Missouri said: $100,000+ in Frisco, Tx,

I know it's slanted toward CAD/Design applications, but, there is a listing available through an organization called AUGI that shows highest paying job titles and disciplines in order of high to low average.

You do have to be signed in to view the documents, but, it's a free membership...

a document called 'Fast Stats' shows 'Interior Design' as the lowest-paying discipline (with an average annual salary of 43k), but, it also shows that Interior Designers garnered decent pay increases the previous year versus some of the other disciplines.

Now, 'Project Manager' is one of the higher paying job titles, with an average salary of nearly 56k. Obviously it all varies (geography, experience level, gender, etc), it seems to me that there are always ads in the paper around here for Project Managers.

There are also specific documents on that page that provide greater overviews of each industry and job title (like ages, education levels, years of experience, pay, raises, etc).

Very helpful.

Very helpful - Industry - Career Change in Frisco, Texas

83 months ago

Wanderer in Saint Louis, Missouri said: $100,000+ in Frisco, Tx,

Thank you very helpful.

Cortnie in Oceanside, California

83 months ago

That is SO TRUE! If I had one thing to tell the Art Institute about their ID program it's that we NEED a business class. You get out there and discover that there are a few different ways to go - work for a company or work for yourself. They would save new grads a lot of hassle and confusion if they taught us what all the differences and pros/cons were of each type - also you're right, marketing yourself as a designer should be a class in itself - especially if you decide to be self-employed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Industry - Career Change in Frisco, Texas

83 months ago

Another person referred me to www.augi.com/surveys.

This shows the pay ranges and opportunity outlook of CAD, Interior design and others.

You will need business education from an accredited university regardless of the industry you choose.
It will carry more weight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Albuquerque, New Mexico

73 months ago

I have 30 years of experience in commercial interior design; both in architect's offices and commercial dealerships. My husband is in the operations part of the commercial furniture industry and the other dealers won't hire me because they think it is a conflict of interest. How can I fight this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SunshineDesign in Palm Beach, Florida

73 months ago

That's ridiculous! My former employers closed their design firm and starting repping for some the fine furniture companies from whom we bought. He reps for one very high end furniture line and she another. No one refused to hire either of them because they would be repping competing lines. They are very competitive with eachother. You and your husbands positions would be even less related. I know many of these companies are "good ole boys" operations. I might suspect it could have something to do with you being a woman rather than a conflict of interest. They can't say that because of federal laws against discrimination based on gender, etc. My former employers had good relationships with all of these companies having owned their design firm for 16 years. Maybe if you got to know the powers that be a little better through networking or mutual acquaintances it would help them become much better aquainted with you and allay any fears they would have with regard to your personage or marital conneciton.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

designer43

70 months ago

Amiyah in Richmond, Virginia said: Your journey is similar to my own. I too found it very hard to find a job in ID after graduation. As a result I went into the health care field. I agree with you, most jobs are by word of mouth and through connections ...who you know, or someone who knows someone that's hiring. I feel this makes getting that first break in ID difficult. Nevertheless, it can be done! New graduates and people re-entering the field of ID ARE getting jobs so it's not impossible. Do you still attend the ASID meetings in your area? Can they help you to find a entry-level position? Have you tried some other avenues as a springboard to ID... areas such as visual presentation, or working for a retailer that offers ID services? The idea is to start somewhere, get as much experience and knowledge as you can and move on. If interior design is your passion keep looking for ways to break into the field. After 10 years in health care I still have a desire to work in ID, and I believe where there's a will there's a way. Don't give up on you journey.
Best wishes!

Hi everyone,
I just came across this site and after 16 years being self-employed I really feel for you guys. I always envied the designers that got hired by large firms, with their job security and 401k's and retirement plans. Now after hearing from you all, I realize it's just another case of "the grass is always greener". My business has been up and down, this last year was really down. I am finally done with some personal trama with my family, and it was down because of that. The best way to succeed is to never give up. Stay involved in the city you live in, the Chamber of commerce, there are gorilla marketing books @ the library. If there is anything that has hurt us in this field is the Home and Garden channel, and the economy. You just have to find the people that need you. Blessings

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kaz in Lawrenceville, Georgia

49 months ago

Gwyna Davis in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: I recently graduated from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online in the Residential Planning program also. I, too, have been surfing the web. I live in a small town and I have found that there are not many opportunities. I was in a diploma program. I strongly recommend a 4 year degree program and experience to get hired. By all means, know CAD and sales. I have been doing some home improvements to include in a portfolio. Another good suggestion is to get a web page and post your portfolio there and send it along with your resume.

I have a four year degree in Fashion Merchandising and I am considering going back to school to get a Residential Interior Diploma at the Art Institute in Atlanta, will anyone hire you with this diploma? I am older and have been sales for years. It seems very expensive and I don't I have the time to get another Bachelors. Will any well known designers hire you with this diploma?

Chelsea3684 in Saint Paul, Minnesota

44 months ago

Kaz in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: I have a four year degree in Fashion Merchandising and I am considering going back to school to get a Residential Interior Diploma at the Art Institute in Atlanta, will anyone hire you with this diploma? I am older and have been sales for years. It seems very expensive and I don't I have the time to get another Bachelors. Will any well known designers hire you with this diploma?

It is a crazy time in this business. I have worked for 22 years for furniture stores, as a rep for Robert Allen fabrics, independently, and for www.lifestyleshomedecor.com . Getting your degree will help, but the busness has to be there, and you have to be agressive in selling your ideas and plans. It is a roller coaster ride at times.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.