Career Change from Graphic Design to Interior Design

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

starburst697 in Lewisville, Texas

40 months ago

Hello all,

I am contemplating a career change from graphic design to interior design. Interior design has always been a passion of mine, I majored in graphic design because I had more experience with it. Looking back, I wish I had chosen differently! Does anyone have any recommendations on how to make the career jump? I've been working about 3 1/2 years now, and know that I will most likely have to start off in a assistant role, which is fine. I have my BS in Graphic Design, would I want to focus on getting a Masters in Interior Design? It seems kinda redundant to get another bachelors. Would I have to wait until I got the masters to pursue a job? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ang K in Calgary, Alberta

17 months ago

Hi! I'm thinking of doing the same thing, except that I've been in graphic design for about 8 years now. Did you make the switch and how did it go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

celina carlz in sydney, Australia

12 months ago

Thinking of doing is good, but be sure of what you do like changing it would be difficult interior designing is good as I feel it better than graphic designing. But graphic designing is better if you work on project basis I found people on this site www.slideshare.net/artworkabode earning more than what a person can dream of

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

artsyerinc in Raleigh, North Carolina

9 months ago

Have you thought about commercial design or exhibit design? I am currently studying interior design and I am also taking graphic design classes on the side. I have noticed that having both skills is incredibly useful. After touring a company in Raleigh that does exhibit work, I noticed how the two really go together. I would love to hear how your switch is going.

artsyerinc.wordpress.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl in Parksville, British Columbia

1 month ago

Hi Everyone, I know this post has been up for awhile but I would be interested to know if Ang K and starburst697 made the switch. I am faced with the opposite dilemma - considering switching from Interior Design to Graphic Design. I have been in Interior Design for 3.5 yrs after graduating with a Bachelor's Degree. I am curious to know why you both wanted to leave the field of Graphic Design? Thank you in advance, your insights will be very helpful to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.