Career Change from Graphic Design to Interior Design

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

starburst697 in Lewisville, Texas

36 months ago

Hello all,

I am contemplating a career change from graphic design to interior design. Interior design has always been a passion of mine, I majored in graphic design because I had more experience with it. Looking back, I wish I had chosen differently! Does anyone have any recommendations on how to make the career jump? I've been working about 3 1/2 years now, and know that I will most likely have to start off in a assistant role, which is fine. I have my BS in Graphic Design, would I want to focus on getting a Masters in Interior Design? It seems kinda redundant to get another bachelors. Would I have to wait until I got the masters to pursue a job? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ang K in Calgary, Alberta

13 months ago

Hi! I'm thinking of doing the same thing, except that I've been in graphic design for about 8 years now. Did you make the switch and how did it go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

celina carlz in sydney, Australia

7 months ago

Thinking of doing is good, but be sure of what you do like changing it would be difficult interior designing is good as I feel it better than graphic designing. But graphic designing is better if you work on project basis I found people on this site www.slideshare.net/artworkabode earning more than what a person can dream of

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

artsyerinc in Raleigh, North Carolina

5 months ago

Have you thought about commercial design or exhibit design? I am currently studying interior design and I am also taking graphic design classes on the side. I have noticed that having both skills is incredibly useful. After touring a company in Raleigh that does exhibit work, I noticed how the two really go together. I would love to hear how your switch is going.

artsyerinc.wordpress.com

Brianna Walsh in White Plains, New York

1 month ago

Hello Starburst697,
I came across your post and I have the perfect opportunity for you. I see you posted this quite some time ago, did you wind up solving your issue? If not, I have a suggestion that you may not have though of. I am the Franchise Marketer for Decorating Den Interiors. Decorating Den Interiors has been in business for 45 years providing full-service Interior Decorating to thousands of clients all over the US and Canada catering to their style, their lifestyle, and their budget, using any of our hundreds of top brand name vendors. Decorating Den Interiors is growing incredibly fast and with your experience and interest in interior design you may be a perfect candidate to open up your own Decorating Den Franchise. We provide you with training (and certifications), business systems, advertising, and support of every kind to get you up and running and establishing your own successful interior design business. Instead of investing in schooling or wasting time starting from the bottom, you may find it worth your money to purchase a successful franchise that can provide you with any appropriate training while handing you every piece of knowledge and every tool you need to start your own business. If you are looking to establish your career, I believe we could mutually be a great fit. Please feel free to check out our website www.decoratingden.com and look into our franchise information section. I also encourage you to reach out to me directly with any questions or concerns.

Brianna Walsh - Franchise Marketer
Decorating Den Interiors
BriannaWalsh@DecoratingDen.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.