Help! I am relocating and I need advice on how to secure a job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

J. Link in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

I am in the process of moving to the Irvine area in California and am fervently seeking a job in my field. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Interior design, and have various work experiences that would help me excel in this field. I am extremely fluent in the program Revit Architecture, with 5 years experience with that particular software, and even more in other programs. I've interned in many places including Bombardier, an international company, as well as other architecture firms in my area. I plan to relocate to Irvine, California but I need help finding a job. I'm not sure where to begin. I've applied to all sorts of job postings online and on craigslist. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cajineer STANKS in Seattle, Washington

53 months ago

Doesn't Bombardier make airplanes? Did you do airplane interiors or something?

J. Link in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

Bombardier is a large company with 3 branches. Bombardier Aerospace {which does the airplanes] Bombardier Transportation [which does Automated People Mover systems and trains] and Bombardier Recreation which deals with small vehicles like ATV's. I work for the Transportation branch making design decisions like interior finishes, color schemes, seat sizes/width research, layout configuration and advice like that. Every now and then I'll need to advise on the decal that goes on the outside of the car. I make visualizations and marketing renderings for the trains too to help sell the bid to the clients.
Its different.. but my passion is architectural interior design.

cajineer STANKS in Seattle, Washington

53 months ago

hmmmmm, I see. Well then, I got an internship with ZERO experience by looking up all the architecture firms around my area and emailing/calling them asking if they needed any assistance. Finally landed one, it took awhile due to economy, but you have a degree and plenty of experience to offer so should be easier for you. I don't know if youre looking for architecture firms but if so, you could try this link to find a list of firms in the part of California you are. but if you go to the AIA's website you can search California for a list of firms in the area you will be at, and contact them personally.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.