Online Interior Design/Decoration Courses - Worth it?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 53)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

uRabbit in Boise, Idaho

76 months ago

I am an aspiring Interior Designer/Decorator. Most job openings I see on Monster/Careerbuilder/Yahoo! Hot Jobs/Etc. are for Interior Architects, but the ones I do find for Design/Decorator usually require lots of education and experience.

The 'type' of Design/Decor I'm looking to do is Residential. I've also opened up to retail (such as department stores/furniture stores/etc.). Other than that, I'm not sure I could get into any of it. Especially considering my limitations... I can only do an online course. I must work full time to support my debts and my fiance and myself. Plus, I cannot afford the 'good' schools. Not on top of my current existing tuition payment of 220/mo, at least.

So I've been looking at online Design courses. Sheffield (www.sheffield.edu/htmlsrc/interior-design-course.html), being the first I'd found. And Lifestyle Learning Direct (www.lifestylelearningdirect.com/course/interior_design_decoration), being the second. I am torn between the two. I want the most bang for my buck. The most in-depth online course I can get for under $2000. I know, it's asking a lot... Also, I'd like to know if doing one of these online courses is going to get my the certificate needed to be able to practice as an Interior Designer/Decorator and maybe even in the future as a Consultant.

I make about $1300/mo right now, and that's barely getting us by (in addition to fiance's income). Where I live, that income is a little above average for my age, but I also have a lot more bills than most people my age. Mistakes have been made. I don't want to make any more. :(

Any help/insight is MUCH appreciated. Thank you all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (125) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Interiorgirl in Amesbury, Massachusetts

69 months ago

mo in Augusta, Georgia said: residential design is currently a dead industry. i am a designer with a bachelors degree and seven years experience, and can NOT find a job. i have been laid off from my last two jobs, and the market is just getting worse. until the economy turns around, i would not waste any money in a design degree.

I think you hit it on the nose but I am not giving up, I am just getting ready to finish an A.S. Degree which I think is all I am going to do but I am going to keep trying. Hopefully the economy will change and I think the Design Industry is going to get a big boost in the future, (I hope)! Who are all these people on HGTV, some are not even qualified I don't think.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Ludlow, Massachusetts

64 months ago

I need help! I've been graduated for four years now and I have not been able to find a job! I have a bachelors degree from an International Design school. I live in Western Mass and there are not even any jobs posted in my area. I don't know what to do and need some direction. Interior Design is my passion and I'm afraid that I might have to give it up and go back to school for something else. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

meady 73 in London, United Kingdom

64 months ago

drive down the coast to NY,
like London at the moment about your best chance, or middle east!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

ReviveDesignStudio in Goodyear, Arizona

64 months ago

I know exactly what you're going through Nicole. In October I was laid off from my interior design job at one of the largest firms in my state. It is really tough out there right now for the design community. Jobs are scarce and competition is fierce. I wish I had some advice for you or myself for that matter! :) All I can offer is my sympathy.

When I was first laid off, I decided to just find any old job to pay the bills and gave up on design completely. I was absolutely miserable in that job and lasted about 3 months. Now, I am doing everything that I can to find anything that is design-related (furniture stores, freelance CAD work, internships just to keep my hand in design) and have started my own design business. It is tough to have your passion derailed by a horrible economy but if it is something you love, don't give up on it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in Stavanger, Norway

62 months ago

Hi,
I am living in Norway and would like to get an online degree in Interior desing. I was trying to find some ratings for the schools which have this kind of education. There is so many of them worldwide and it's so hard to find the top ones.
Appreciate any help!
Barbara

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

coco in Westerly, Rhode Island

57 months ago

I graduated from a prestigious design school and am having difficulty finding work. It is so competitive out there right now even with the right degree. I have been in the industry for a few years now and it is all about relationships. I don't know why people bother with online degrees for art. There is alot that happens at art school that is about doing work with others, relationships w teachers, feedback from the class, that is not going to happen in an online class. An when you graduate you will be competing with people who have four year degrees and no one will take you seriously.

Another issue is your location. It is tough enough in a major Northeastern city. Is there a demand for this in Idaho? What are the top firms in your area? Are they doing well? if not, Don't expect to do better on your own. If you want to do this I would suggest either going to the best 4 year school and get loans to live on campus. that way you won't have to worry about living expenses and can pay it back. Or you should take any job maybe as an assistant or secretary and learn more about your field and make connections which will provide insight.

What about other Design fields? Something like web design you can learn and do from anywhere and is in demand. Sometimes you dont have to give up your dream, just modify it alittle,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Ashe in San Diego, California

56 months ago

I have been going through all this posted forums.. Like everyone here, i have degree of Bachelor of science in Interior Designer and also master diploma of interior architecture from india. Now that i am in states.. I wanted to pursuit same career line so my question is do i need to take more courses here to get on the same field? soon i will be working in some of the furnitures show room to learn more about the taste and culture here. So, please do post.. if anyone comes up with expertise advice for me.. i will be very much thankful to you. thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Los Angeles, California

55 months ago

My experience has been that you will not get an interview at a design firm without a design degree. However, I have decided to market my design business again full-time and yes, I agree, it can be done with great people skills, professionalism, etc. In fact I would go so far as to say it is easier to start your own design business than to get a good job right now. Its about networking, networking and who you know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Maggie J in Miami, Florida

52 months ago

I graduated 3 years ago with a Bachelor of Science degree in Interior Architecture and Design and have been unable to find a job. Finally I decided that I would just like to start working independently on small projects and build a business from the ground up but I really need a mentor to provide me with some guidance and industry advise but I don't know who to turn to. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Los Angeles, California

52 months ago

If you don't already have a lot of experience in this field, I would recommend choosing another one such as graphic, web or game design. (or non-design) Seriously, there is a 10 year supply of designers right now. I know so many who have decades of experience who are out of work. The field is completely saturated. Even Frank Gehry's projects are down 50%. I don't want to be a Debbie downer but this is just the simple truth. Don't throw away good money & time into a hopeless situation. If you do have a lot of experience already and just want to improve your education/skills during this down time, Rhodec/London Metropolitan has a good online design program and is very affordable. $6,500 for BA or $2,500 for certificate and you can take anywhere from 2-8 years to complete. It is ASID & NCIDQ approved. Again, if you have other training, experience or talent, I would highly recommend changing to that field instead. Business management, accounting, IT and marketing are much more in demand. Plus, you would need these skills to run your own design business anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

G in Ottawa, Ontario

48 months ago

I've recently graduated from an intior decorating program that was two years in duration. the design course that was offered at the same school was 4 years in length. both courses are VERY labor intensive. long hours of drawing, sourcing cutting and glueing as well as hours on Auto Cad. the course was great and i learned a lot, but when it came time to find a job it was very frustrating. the majority of places were looking for Designers not Decorators so unless you want to be working retail take a Design course!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mohammed Tabrez in Muscat, Oman

35 months ago

Nicole in Ludlow, Massachusetts said: I need help! I've been graduated for four years now and I have not been able to find a job! I have a bachelors degree from an International Design school. I live in Western Mass and there are not even any jobs posted in my area. I don't know what to do and need some direction. Interior Design is my passion and I'm afraid that I might have to give it up and go back to school for something else. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

hi r u still looking for the job we have a vacancy for creative designer post ... send ur resume work details certificate attested details all to my persnal email id ---tabrez10@gmail.com if u r still looking for job
we r located in oman and looking for good designers ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

MD in Seattle, Washington

35 months ago

I'm sure residential design is dead, as has been said. But what about *commercial* interior design. Surely, that can't be totally dead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Marley in Marysville, Washington

34 months ago

I would not say residential design is dead at all. Perhaps the opposite. You see, as people are not able to sell their house, because they are upside down in their payments, they would be more willing to "re-design the kitchen or bath" to make better use of their space. These types of improvements will give them a great return on their investment once they are in a position to sell. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

blue in Chicago, Illinois

32 months ago

Hi i am interested in becoming an interior designer can anyone help me get a job even as an assistant for a start ??? please help i love interior designing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

We are working on a new business idea for Kellogg School of Management for Interior Designers that would allow them to access "jobs" on the internet.
Have a look, your feedback is appreciated: kellogg.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_4SbNuWJsSfDu9nu

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Love Interior Design in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

I've got the Sheffield School complete course of Interior Design I no longer need. Contact me if interested. Thanks! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

shade_designers in Avil├ęs, Spain

30 months ago

Hello! We are www.theshadedesigners.com/ team and we want to encourage you to visit our website ... is full of good decorating ideas to give that modern touch to your home ... shades & blinds, awnings, parasols .. Come on ... just check it out!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Marili in San Diego, California

30 months ago

Hi Nicole,
How are you doing?
I realy don't know much about Massachuset job opportunity but I just saw your comment and I think you should never give up. We came this far and even things are not good out there you get believe in yourself and be positive you will find your way to work in your field. I love to became an interior designer and I am planning to go back to school this year after summer. I've been postponed my career because I am single mom trying to survive in this economy and I am working full time in something that I don’ t really like it but I have too and thanks to God I have a job. Any ways I just think you should continue with your career no matter what. Try to see if you could volunteer or even go on Craigs list and offer people some type of deal if they let you to decoreate their homes. I just an idea. I don't know if going to work but you get think out of the box.
Best Wishes,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kenneth in Accra, Ghana

28 months ago

Love Interior Design in Chicago, Illinois said: I've got the Sheffield School complete course of Interior Design I no longer need. Contact me if interested. Thanks! :)

would love to have them. lets communicate, my email is mknx2003@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

himan71 in Mumbai, India

27 months ago

Love Interior Design in Chicago, Illinois said: I've got the Sheffield School complete course of Interior Design I no longer need. Contact me if interested. Thanks! :)

Please email me the details

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jessarina12

26 months ago

Hi, my name is Jessica
I'm 17 and going into the 11th grade. I've found my passion and it is Interior Design. I would like to know the best college to go to. Would anybody know?
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mabarber@comcast.net in La Porte, Indiana

26 months ago

Jennifer in Los Angeles, California said: If you don't already have a lot of experience in this field, I would recommend choosing another one such as graphic , web or game design . (or non-design) Seriously, there is a 10 year supply of designers right now. I know so many who have decades of experience who are out of work. The field is completely saturated. Even Frank Gehry's projects are down 50%. I don't want to be a Debbie downer but this is just the simple truth. Don't throw away good money & time into a hopeless situation. If you do have a lot of experience already and just want to improve your education /skills during this down time, Rhodec/London Metropolitan has a good online design program and is very affordable. $6,500 for BA or $2,500 for certificate and you can take anywhere from 2-8 years to complete. It is ASID & NCIDQ approved. Again, if you have other training, experience or talent, I would highly recommend changing to that field instead. Business management, accounting , IT and marketing are much more in demand. Plus, you would need these skills to run your own design business anyway.

Several years ago, in Architectural Digest, in their list of the 100 top designers in the world was one gentleman who had graduated from Rhodec. I was impressed. I have started the program but am just at the beginning. Rhodec is difficult in that it is completely self-directed with no time limits on when to submit assignments. Besides that, it looks pretty comprehensive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gaitanm in New York, New York

20 months ago

I would be interested in buying it from you. How much?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

gaitanm in New York, New York

20 months ago

gaitanm in New York, New York said: I would be interested in buying it from you. How much?

Pls contact me at yuyis135@yahoo.com i am interested in buying it from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

PAWL in Florissant, Missouri

20 months ago

Nicole in Ludlow, Massachusetts said: I need help! I've been graduated for four years now and I have not been able to find a job! I have a bachelors degree from an International Design school. I live in Western Mass and there are not even any jobs posted in my area. I don't know what to do and need some direction. Interior Design is my passion and I'm afraid that I might have to give it up and go back to school for something else. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Nicole, I was stuck doing a job for 33 years in corporate America ignoring my passion. Now I'm retired and I have an eye for design: Fashion - Jewelry - Interior Design - Interior Decorating. I'm going back to school to pursue Interior Decorating. I understand the turn of economics and the reality is you may have to put your dreams on hold. Not saying to forget them, but on hold for right now. You may pick up small jobs for friends, family or etc. while working someplace else for now. Pursue volunteering for jobs with contractors or sub-contractors.

I prayer that whatever direction you take you endeavors are fullfilled.

God Bless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

seeker110 in Massachusetts

20 months ago

No, it's a very competitive field. It is also a very hands-on career. Besides creativity and technical know-how, interior designers and architects are required to often go on-site. Try to find a part-time curriculum with internship opportunities in local design firms, if that is your passion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

seeker110 in Massachusetts

20 months ago

Depending on where she is located, the design/construction field is improving.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Donal finn in London, United Kingdom

19 months ago

I don't think it is worth. Inline courses can help you in only a case where you want to get theoretical knowledge without doing practicals but interior designing is a field where you have to do practicals and experiments. Getting experience is really necessary to get fine designs. I am working in a London interior company from 5 years now i feel that i have learned a lot. It is my view about online courses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Myriam in Oslo, Norway

19 months ago

Barbara in Stavanger, Norway said: Hi,
I am living in Norway and would like to get an online degree in Interior desing. I was trying to find some ratings for the schools which have this kind of education . There is so many of them worldwide and it's so hard to find the top ones.
Appreciate any help!
Barbara

Hi BArbara,

It's been a long time since your epost but I also live in Norway and I would like to take a short course (6 months maximum) in Interior Decoration. Have you found any interesting one through your search? :)

Kind regards,
Myriam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenny b in San Antonio, Texas

17 months ago

Hi all - I came across this thread searching for schooling for interior design. While the degree is being recommended here, I have the same question as OP in that I would like to take an online program to get certified - which one offers you the best course?

My family owns and runs an upholstery shop and while I've been around designers my entire life and picked things up here and there, I want to be able to offer our clients a little more when helping them pick out fabrics and put them together. I don't necessarily need a bachelor's degree because I already have a job I love and I'm not looking to work with a design firm; this would be more of an "add on" to what I already know and do. Should I take a full Interior Design course or are there courses/fields that I could look into that would allow me to expand my knowledge and expertise a little further?? I want to have something more structured than just reading about design online or google searching. Recommendations??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

HI Jenny!
I'm selling my Sheffield Interior Design Course (drastically discounted) if you're interested. I'm in NM right now. Let me know if you're interested.
Thanks!

jenny b in San Antonio, Texas said: Hi all - I came across this thread searching for schooling for interior design . While the degree is being recommended here, I have the same question as OP in that I would like to take an online program to get certified - which one offers you the best course?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alexadeparis in Round Lake, Illinois

17 months ago

Love Interior Design in Chicago, Illinois said: HI Jenny!
I'm selling my Sheffield Interior Design Course (drastically discounted) if you're interested. I'm in NM right now. Let me know if you're interested.
Thanks!

Can you advise what your asking price is? I don't know the price you paid could you post one or both of those figures to give us an idea of what you are willing to sell this for?

Mklein in Minneapolis, Minnesota

16 months ago

Has someone replied to this already?

16 months ago

I've had some interest, but haven't sold it yet. It's still for sale :)

Barbara Norway in Stavanger, Norway

16 months ago

Hi Myriam,
Long time indeed. I am just about to finish HND in Interior design and architecture from Limperts Academy of design in UK. I did an online course and loved it a lot but now I can't wait to be done with it. The shortest course they have is diploma course and lasts 1 year. If you have any questions let me know.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mklein in Minneapolis, Minnesota

16 months ago

Wow. For how much?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

blarney64@comcast.net in Lunenburg, Massachusetts

16 months ago

Mklein in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Has someone replied to this already?

Hi, I am interested in the design course you have, is it still available???

Thanks, Kim

16 months ago

Hi Kim,
It is! Feel free to email me at munequita (then the number four) at hotmail.com

15 months ago

I'm so sorry, but I accidentally deleted a bunch of emails that went to my Spam box. I had gotten some messages inquiring about the design course. I do still have it for sale, but I don't have your messages to me :( Please feel free to contact me again if interested!) Thanks! Asking $500 OBO (or best offer) via Paypal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shar in Washington, District of Columbia

14 months ago

Do you still have the course material for sell? Please email me at artcultured@gmail.com with status....

Thanks,
Shar

ShellyShell in Gary, Indiana

14 months ago

Don't sell yourself short. You can do anything you set your mind to. I like to look at things from a spiritual stand point so if you don't mind...God has a plan for all of us and if those are your desires, if you truly believe, He can allow you to walk into those desires and be quite successful. If you focus and stop worrying about the negative you see around you...you WILL move forward. Start out small by doing projects for friends and family; take pictures; begin a portfolio. If this is your niche, honey, don't let those life obligations keep you away from your dream. I'm looking for an online course too in interior design.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

ShellyShell in Gary, Indiana

14 months ago

Mklein in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Has someone replied to this already?

Was the course really good? I looked at their website but wasn't sold on it.

Shar in Mclean, Virginia

14 months ago

mabarber@comcast.net in La Porte, Indiana said: Several years ago, in Architectural Digest, in their list of the 100 top designers in the world was one gentleman who had graduated from Rhodec. I was impressed. I have started the program but am just at the beginning. Rhodec is difficult in that it is completely self-directed with no time limits on when to submit assignments. Besides that, it looks pretty comprehensive.

Hello,

I was thinking about attending Rhodec's program... are you still enjoying it and do you feel like its still worth pursuing?

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Jasmine Camfield in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

14 months ago

Yes Online interior courses are of worth, but with interior design course you should have bachelor/master degree related to Design this will be Plus point for you. I have bachelors degree in Interior and recently i have completed my online interior design course from UAE University . ( www.midtownuniversity.com/uae/dubai/interior-design.asp ). It very Important to have interior designing and color combination skills to get good job.

Tamara in Port Huron, Michigan

10 months ago

Marley in Marysville, Washington said: I would not say residential design is dead at all. Perhaps the opposite. You see, as people are not able to sell their house, because they are upside down in their payments, they would be more willing to "re-design the kitchen or bath" to make better use of their space. These types of improvements will give them a great return on their investment once they are in a position to sell. Good luck!

Actually, unless you live in an area where real estate is very expensive, you will not get back the money you put into updating your house. I sold real estate in California for nine years, and only in high priced areas does the seller recover their investment. It's actually a poor investment to update a kitchen or bath with the intent to sell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Charito in Belleville, New Jersey

9 months ago

Hi everyone.
I'm looking for furniture upholstery classes Northern NJ area. Any suggestions?
Regardig to interior design matter. I believe in never give up. This is what we love we should continue no matter what. Sometimes is about of being versatile and hands on projects. Decoration and design is my passion and I won' t give up so easily. Yes the economy is bad the situations may turn bad, but sometimes things required more from above than from us...and also I think the worst thing in any career is to doing something that you don't like and when you hate to go to your work.
Best wishes :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Thomas in Murphy, North Carolina

5 months ago

jenny b in San Antonio, Texas said: Hi all - I came across this thread searching for schooling for interior design . While the degree is being recommended here, I have the same question as OP in that I would like to take an online program to get certified - which one offers you the best course?

My family owns and runs an upholstery shop and while I've been around designers my entire life and picked things up here and there, I want to be able to offer our clients a little more when helping them pick out fabrics and put them together. I don't necessarily need a bachelor's degree because I already have a job I love and I'm not looking to work with a design firm; this would be more of an "add on" to what I already know and do. Should I take a full Interior Design course or are there courses/fields that I could look into that would allow me to expand my knowledge and expertise a little further?? I want to have something more structured than just reading about design online or google searching. Recommendations??

Hey sorry to bug you, but you (and the person that started the thread) were the only ones talking about the original question, "online schools" Have you found any answers? I sell furniture in NC and just want to get better at it. Thank you so much for your time.

Thomas in Murphy, North Carolina

5 months ago

I did find these two sites, hope this helps... well I'm sure it's better then all the useless pep talks and people complaining they can't find a job.

www.guidetoonlineschools.com/degrees/art/interior-design/best-schools

accredit-id.org/students-parents/faqs/#faq-online

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.