Online Interior Design/Decoration Courses - Worth it?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

uRabbit in Boise, Idaho

87 months ago

I am an aspiring Interior Designer/Decorator. Most job openings I see on Monster/Careerbuilder/Yahoo! Hot Jobs/Etc. are for Interior Architects, but the ones I do find for Design/Decorator usually require lots of education and experience.

The 'type' of Design/Decor I'm looking to do is Residential. I've also opened up to retail (such as department stores/furniture stores/etc.). Other than that, I'm not sure I could get into any of it. Especially considering my limitations... I can only do an online course. I must work full time to support my debts and my fiance and myself. Plus, I cannot afford the 'good' schools. Not on top of my current existing tuition payment of 220/mo, at least.

So I've been looking at online Design courses. Sheffield (www.sheffield.edu/htmlsrc/interior-design-course.html), being the first I'd found. And Lifestyle Learning Direct (www.lifestylelearningdirect.com/course/interior_design_decoration), being the second. I am torn between the two. I want the most bang for my buck. The most in-depth online course I can get for under $2000. I know, it's asking a lot... Also, I'd like to know if doing one of these online courses is going to get my the certificate needed to be able to practice as an Interior Designer/Decorator and maybe even in the future as a Consultant.

I make about $1300/mo right now, and that's barely getting us by (in addition to fiance's income). Where I live, that income is a little above average for my age, but I also have a lot more bills than most people my age. Mistakes have been made. I don't want to make any more. :(

Any help/insight is MUCH appreciated. Thank you all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (186) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Maggie J in Miami, Florida

63 months ago

I graduated 3 years ago with a Bachelor of Science degree in Interior Architecture and Design and have been unable to find a job. Finally I decided that I would just like to start working independently on small projects and build a business from the ground up but I really need a mentor to provide me with some guidance and industry advise but I don't know who to turn to. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Kenneth in Accra, Ghana

39 months ago

Love Interior Design in Chicago, Illinois said: I've got the Sheffield School complete course of Interior Design I no longer need. Contact me if interested. Thanks! :)

would love to have them. lets communicate, my email is mknx2003@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

himan71 in Mumbai, India

37 months ago

Love Interior Design in Chicago, Illinois said: I've got the Sheffield School complete course of Interior Design I no longer need. Contact me if interested. Thanks! :)

Please email me the details

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

gaitanm in New York, New York

31 months ago

I would be interested in buying it from you. How much?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

gaitanm in New York, New York

31 months ago

gaitanm in New York, New York said: I would be interested in buying it from you. How much?

Pls contact me at yuyis135@yahoo.com i am interested in buying it from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Myriam in Oslo, Norway

29 months ago

Barbara in Stavanger, Norway said: Hi,
I am living in Norway and would like to get an online degree in Interior desing. I was trying to find some ratings for the schools which have this kind of education . There is so many of them worldwide and it's so hard to find the top ones.
Appreciate any help!
Barbara

Hi BArbara,

It's been a long time since your epost but I also live in Norway and I would like to take a short course (6 months maximum) in Interior Decoration. Have you found any interesting one through your search? :)

Kind regards,
Myriam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Love Interior Design in Chicago, Illinois

27 months ago

I've had some interest, but haven't sold it yet. It's still for sale :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

I'm so sorry, but I accidentally deleted a bunch of emails that went to my Spam box. I had gotten some messages inquiring about the design course. I do still have it for sale, but I don't have your messages to me :( Please feel free to contact me again if interested!) Thanks! Asking $500 OBO (or best offer) via Paypal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ShellyShell in Gary, Indiana

25 months ago

Don't sell yourself short. You can do anything you set your mind to. I like to look at things from a spiritual stand point so if you don't mind...God has a plan for all of us and if those are your desires, if you truly believe, He can allow you to walk into those desires and be quite successful. If you focus and stop worrying about the negative you see around you...you WILL move forward. Start out small by doing projects for friends and family; take pictures; begin a portfolio. If this is your niche, honey, don't let those life obligations keep you away from your dream. I'm looking for an online course too in interior design.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

I have part of a Sheffield course of Interior Design available for sale! (They just changed their name to the New York Institute of Art + Design).

Of the materials from Units 1-6
I have the following available:

Units 2-6 cd's, dvd's, course materials and projects.

*I do not have Unit 1 available, nor the Drafting kit and measuring tape. FYI-Drafting kits can be purchased at Staples. You may also contact the school to acquire these items separately.

If you are interested Units 2-6, please feel free to make an offer via email. I'll take the best offer and can process payment via Paypal.

Thanks! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

I have part of a Sheffield course of Interior Design available for sale! (
They just changed their name to the New York Institute of Art + Design).

Of the materials from Units 1-6
I have the following available:

Units 2-6 cd's, dvd's, course materials and projects.

*I do not have Unit 1 available, nor the Drafting kit and measuring tape. FYI-Drafting kits can be purchased at Staples. You may also contact the school to acquire these items separately.

If you are interested Units 2-6, please send me an email munequita4 at hotmail dot com.
$200 via Friend Paypal with FREE Shipping within Continental USA.
Thanks! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Marina Fomina

1 month ago

Yes of course, I did my interior design course from www.thinkinteriordesignacademy.com/ , and after completion of my course i got a job in a reputed organization as an interior designer.

Svetlana N. in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

1 month ago

Марина, я врач и интериор дизайн--моё многолетнее хобби, и я все не решаюсь взяться за это дело серьёзно. Может быть я все-таки рискну и переключусь на эту карьеру в будущем. Вы действительно советуете этот онлайн курс от www.thinkinteriordesignacademy.com? Вы начинали "с нуля" или у Вас уже до этого был профессиональный опыт? Спасибо. Светлана

Natali Kazakova in Los Angeles, California

8 days ago

Yes, it is quiet, easy if you really interested in doing interior designing I recommend you should once visit this online interior design institute thinkinteriordesignacademy.com/. I am currently studying here and I found it is an awesome experience. My tutor is very good and he taught me in a very professional as well as friendly manner that makes all the study stuff very easy for me to learn

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.