Recent Grad moved from NYC to Boston

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Erica Fogarty in Boston, Massachusetts

48 months ago

I graduated from Parsons New School for Design in May 2010 with a BFA in Interior Design. Immediately after graduating I moved up to the Boston area (closer to home and where my boyfriend is attending gradschool) I am also at Boston Architectural College getting a certificate in Design Computing and am gaining proficiency in Revit and 3d Max.
With that said, I am having an impossible time getting any sort of interior design related position, either as an assistant, junior designer, anything! I couldn't even find an internship...
I am currently working remotely as a product researcher for an A&D website and database which I worked for in NYC. I just took a position with Closets By Design, which is pretty much just a commission only sales position. I'm concerned that, while technically it is design experience, it may be the wrong career decision for what I want to do, which initially is to work for an interior designer, or as a junior designer in an a&d firm. At this point I'm concerned that even an unpaid internship might be a better move than the Closets By Design, but I feel I have more skills and experience than an unpaid intern.
I see all these opportunities in NYC, are there any in Boston? And how do I find them? And is Closets By Design the wrong move? I'm not sure what to do at this point...
Thanks!!! I know, that's a lot to read. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Logan, Ohio

47 months ago

Aaww! No I just started college for interior design its always been a passion, but with no jobs I'm not sure it was the right choice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rana in Hicksville, New York

38 months ago

Erica Fogarty in Boston, Massachusetts said: I graduated from Parsons New School for Design in May 2010 with a BFA in Interior Design. Immediately after graduating I moved up to the Boston area (closer to home and where my boyfriend is attending gradschool) I am also at Boston Architectural College getting a certificate in Design Computing and am gaining proficiency in Revit and 3d Max.
With that said, I am having an impossible time getting any sort of interior design related position, either as an assistant, junior designer, anything! I couldn't even find an internship...
I am currently working remotely as a product researcher for an A&D website and database which I worked for in NYC. I just took a position with Closets By Design, which is pretty much just a commission only sales position. I'm concerned that, while technically it is design experience, it may be the wrong career decision for what I want to do, which initially is to work for an interior designer, or as a junior designer in an a&d firm. At this point I'm concerned that even an unpaid internship might be a better move than the Closets By Design, but I feel I have more skills and experience than an unpaid intern.
I see all these opportunities in NYC, are there any in Boston? And how do I find them? And is Closets By Design the wrong move? I'm not sure what to do at this point...
Thanks!!! I know, that's a lot to read. :)

Hello there,

Its very interesting what you are saying because I am almost in the same situation as you. I graduated from the New York School of Interior Desing, and I will be joing BAC in Boston, also looking for any interior design job. So let me know how did it go with you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.