Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

What are typical interior designer salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Saunderstown, Rhode Island

96 months ago

The job opportunies that I have discovered were for retailsales/interior design. Furniture stores that want U to make commission based salaries. If U can't produce the numbers U ge the axe. I think each individual will have to find his?her niche. I am in a certificate course at highly respected art school. I just hope that this expensive training leads to something. I am getting worried.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Charlottesville, Virginia

84 months ago

I am asking this question again as well. What do salary ranges look like based on experience and schooling, and design industry?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

space ace in Metairie, Louisiana

48 months ago

Ann in Charlottesville, Virginia said: I am asking this question again as well. What do salary ranges look like based on experience and schooling, and design industry?

I can tell you this I have almost 30 years experience degree certifications etc. and became director of design for a corp. and after ten years there I was receiving $118,000 but think this is unusual for the industry , but if you work hard and become "somewhat indespensible" you could get to this level. I did , and looking back it surprises me too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Erica Fogarty in Boston, Massachusetts

48 months ago

space ace in Metairie, Louisiana said: I can tell you this I have almost 30 years experience degree certifications etc. and became director of design for a corp. and after ten years there I was receiving $118,000 but think this is unusual for the industry , but if you work hard and become "somewhat indespensible" you could get to this level. I did , and looking back it surprises me too.

I'm interested to know the path you took after college (I assume college as you said you have degree) I am just out of college, would like to get to that position... some day, and am wondering what paths to take and moves to make from here. thanks!

Marie in North Andover, Massachusetts

48 months ago

I am writing to inquire about the possibility of any employment openings.Oportunites such as Entry Level/ Internship/ Assistent//ANYTHING jobs in a architectural or Interior Design firm or anything that relates. I am searching for jobs in the Andover, Reading, Lawrence, Methuen area in MA or Boston area and its sourroundings.

I have been finding it to be extremely..EXTREMELY.. hard to find a job in this field. However Interior Design is my PASSION therefore, I refuse to give up hope in getting my foot into the door. Therefore if anyone knows anything or anyone who is looking for an assistant your inquiries would be appreciated.

Currently, I have a Bachelor of Science in Interior Design which I obtained at an accrediated school. Design is a learning process that I approach with enthusiasm. Comfort, function, and style are my main interests in design. Bringing a special talent for mixing fabrics, textures, and color to projects, are my strength’s in design. i AM ALSO PROFICIENT WITH AUTO CAD 3D DRAWINGS, RENDERING, HAND DRAFTING..ETC. I am willing to learn any other. I am very easy to work with and approachable..

I am a hard working individual with excellent communication skills and am willing to learn. I am also very detailed oriented and can adapt quickly to changes and meet deadlines.

space ace in Metairie, Louisiana

47 months ago

Erica Fogarty in Boston, Massachusetts said: I'm interested to know the path you took after college (I assume college as you said you have degree) I am just out of college, would like to get to that position... some day, and am wondering what paths to take and moves to make from here. thanks!

Hi erica;
sorry it has taken a while to answer your question
my career path:
1. got a job out of college with a A & E firm ( even if very low pay)
2. got all education/ certifications done- not just ncidq but leeds, all the computer programs/ prof. organization ( ex: ASID) and cue's each and every year you practice
3. opened own firm ( very little profit after taxes)
4. moved to various states to obtain position in a number of firms over say ten years
5. worked very hard to build knowledge base and portfolio
6. got good at skills and then worked very hard ( 50 /60 hour weeks over ten years)and learn to manage stress and never fail those depending on you

do not get in this profession if you do not want to totally commit to a LONG term deal there are too many failures in this profession(degreed housewives who see it as a hobby) ( designer who are easily discouraged or lack perserverence) ( designer who do not want to have patience and pay their dues)= (work for others and learn ) versus expect good salary early on
also their are too many good designers out there and any thing less than a total long term commitment will leave you broken hearted no matter what they told you in college it is a tuff profession even after 30 years it is still a chalenge to get what you are worth
sorry for this brutal answer but that is my experience - beyond money nothing can beat the opening day of your project being enjoyed by the public - this is why I am still practicing ----hope this answers your question----best of wishes erica -

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.