Top internal auditor skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every internal auditor must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your internal auditor expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Moti Marzbani in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every internal auditor must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your internal auditor expertise?

The three essential traits for an Internal Auditor are-Selling and communication skills and enthusiasm with leadership.
1)One should be able to sell one's credentials and abilities and also be able to sell the recommendations to clients or management or process owners.
2)The Internal Auditor should also be enthusiastic to read in between lines and go beyond the necessary Internal Audit program and documents when there is a need for the same.
3) One should have great transformational and transactional leadership skills and be able to share knowledge, develop people and work toward a better controlled, compliant and profitable business conditions so that there is protection of everyone's interest and assurance of good business practices.
Moti Marzbani, FCA, CIA, CFE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Not Applicable in Marion, Illinois

72 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every internal auditor must have to excel?

I would say the ability to talk with different types of people in business settings, a strong ability to pursue professional licenses (cpa and cia), and probably a strong ability to handle GAAP issues and requirements for particular industries., so many industries have particular issues, challenges and unique GAAP/regulatory/govt requirements that its important to keep current. Oh, by the way, the more developed your organizational skills are, the less painful the learning process in audit becomes!

I am an auditor for one of the largest regional cpa firms in the midwest. We typically audit across five to eight industries ranging from contribution plans, mfg, retail and state/local.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dennis Harris

49 months ago

N/A in Marion Illinois sounds a lot like myself. Better not be working for Kerber, Eck & Braeckel LLP like I did, wew! I can tell you that I recently became licensed as a Certified Internal Auditor and regional CPA firms like the one I worked at was not at all happy that I was not pursuing the CPA license anymore. In fact, I got reminded of it verbally and nonverbally all the time. It went downhill so fast from there, I couldn't believe it. Apparently that is a firm that only cares if your a CPA, if your not, they don't want to talk to you or be around you in any capacity whatsoever. Fair Warning. my email is future_cpa1@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.