Starting a Interpreter Service Business

Comments (18)

Bryan in Orlando, Florida

90 months ago

Whats the best way to locate well qualified interpreters in major markets?

farhan in Columbus, Ohio

90 months ago

what is the best way to locate interpreting jobs in columbus, ohio for well qualified interpreter

farhan in Columbus, Ohio

90 months ago

what is the best way to locate interpretering jobs in columbus,ohio for well qualified somali interpreter...?

moho in Columbus, Ohio

89 months ago

farhan in Columbus, Ohio said: what is the best way to locate interpretering jobs in columbus,ohio for well qualified somali interpreter...?

Language Acces Network I believe!!

reply in New Albany, Ohio

73 months ago

moho in Columbus, Ohio said: Language Acces Network I believe!!

The worst compny ever found is language access network ,they do not have ethics at all

sam in New Albany, Ohio

73 months ago

reply in New Albany, Ohio said: The worst compny ever found is language access network ,they do not have ethics at all

You are right I had a very bad experience with them

moho moho in Columbus, Ohio

73 months ago

Ethics, they do not even know about it.
The director of Interpreters claims that she speaks Spanish...Not at all. How serious is that?
Bad Company, that´s why I did not accept their offer...

mohamed el taweel in Columbus, Ohio

70 months ago

moho moho in Columbus, Ohio said: Ethics, they do not even know about it.
The director of Interpreters claims that she speaks Spanish...Not at all. How serious is that?
Bad Company, that´s why I did not accept their offer...

I had a bad experience as a client as they claim that they have all of the language interpreters but in fact they don't

ali in Columbus, Ohio

68 months ago

farhan in Columbus, Ohio said: what is the best way to locate interpreting jobs in columbus, ohio for well qualified interpreter

thank you

moho moho in San Diego, California

68 months ago

Yes, I moved out of that Columbus, Language Access Network is ruuning out of time. They do no have qualified Interpreters, Now as a client, they do not even know how to work with them, and charge you arm and leg for the WORST Interpretation ever. I have to call the Director of Operations and She was WEll, what do you want me to do, cannot force them to laugh or smile. What???
She is ridiculous and worthless f..a$$

moho moho in San Diego, California

68 months ago

ali in Columbus, Ohio said: thank you

You Welcome...

phaistosgroup in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

I am currently working to create an interpreter business and have been reading the commnets posted. I see what makes a company bad, what makes one good? I would like to start off on the right foot. I have a strong military background and noticing the extreme lack of us interpreters, I felt i wanted to try to fill the void. My company would focus on arabic, dari, farci, pashtu, french, and possibly spanish. While my niche that I am shooting for is interpreters willing to travel with security clearances, I am willing to look into other needed markets. Any suggestions would be appreciated from the public.

Lainterprete

65 months ago

Dear Phaisto:

As the owner of a small interpreting company, I would give you the following tips:

1) A good interpreting company is one that is organized, gives great customer service, and pays its interpreters a fair wage and on time. You need to pay well to attract good interpreters.

2) A good place to start is contacting your local Administrative Office of the Courts at the State and Federal level. These are where the most highly qualified interpreters are located, and many often know interpreters in other languages.

3) The US Dept of State has a formal language testing and security clearance protocol. You can try to find interpreters who have this in their background.

4) If you yourself are an interpreter, try tapping into local interpreting/translating organizations (such as ATA and its local chapters), or NAJIT, which has a searcheable database of legal interpreters, many of which would have a clearance.

Basically the way you get started is by word of mouth- if you yourself are a good interpreter, you can start letting people know that you can find interpreters in other languages. It will take several years to build up your clients to the point where you can start hiring several interpreters. I would really make sure you have money saved up, invest in attorneys to draft up the contracts you will need, especially if you are going to be paying interpreters to travel and with security clearances, before you take the leap in establishing yourself as a "company."

Carmen in Fort Worth, Texas

61 months ago

Bryan in Orlando, Florida said: Whats the best way to locate well qualified interpreters in major markets?

ATA has a list of the ones that have passed the exam or active that means that are qualified and excellent .

Carmen in Fort Worth, Texas

61 months ago

Interpreters/Translators have specific areas, medical,judicial, conference,etc,etc.
To have security clearance and be willing to travel you have to have a lot of perks, I am ATA Active memeber, mainly medicine and Law, but I do not take any assigments where I have to leave my city.

Elizabeth Chung in Frederick, Maryland

50 months ago

I would like to receive information

Alekz in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

Elizabeth, what kind of information are you looking to receive?

Alekz
www.certifiedcourtinterpreters.net

Gigi in Overland Park, Kansas

43 months ago

Do you need a license to have Interpretation and translation company?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.