Top java j2ee developer skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every java j2ee developer must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your java j2ee developer expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Vsm in Charlotte, North Carolina

56 months ago

I think
Spring
Hibernate
Webservice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Developer Dude in Seattle, Washington

56 months ago

I would say that number one for most developers is to learn and know relational database dev skills, specifically SQL, schema design and so on. Get one of Date's text books (I recommend "An introduction to Database Systems") and learn the core basics. Most systems out there is backed by a relational database at some point, and most job postings mention SQL and/or database design. This is true whether you are a Java dev, a .NET dev, a C/C++ dev, a RoR/Python/Grails/etc. dev - at some point they interface with a database. I recommend starting with Oracle or Postgres (the latter is a very similar SQL dialect to Oracle) as Oracle is the largest RDBMS presence in the market. If you are going with .NET then SQLServer. LAMP stack then mySQL (although I think it lags way behind the other systems).

Of course it is good to know other parts of a technology stack, but you don't have to commit to any one implementation. Spring is a leading IOC container and has a lot of other good sub-projects, but there is also AspectJ and Guice for example.

I prefer iBatis to Hibernate but there are a number of ORMs out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Developer Dude in Seattle, Washington

56 months ago

At some point you do need to pick one particular implementation of a given solution. Indeed trends tool can help with that; type in the names of the implementations and compare how many job postings contain that implementation.

You do need to understand web services, XML, probably SOAP. If you are going to work on the front end then probably Javascript, HTML and one of the MVC frameworks and maybe a templating solution (JSP, JSF, etc.). There are very few Swing jobs out there - about 2 percent of the Java postings mention Swing and some of those are in passing because Swing has relevance to something like GWT - so I don't recommend spending time on it at this point.

Tomcat is by and far the most popular servlet container, and other variations of it are similar.

How to use JUnit and its derivatives and how to properly write unit tests is a necessary skill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.