Trying to get the resume verbage right...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Hagrid1960 in Saint Louis, Missouri

69 months ago

Hello everyone,

Currently, I am looking for an IT job. My primary language is Cobol (I have over 16 years of experience), and my number 2 language is Java (about 4 years). I do realize that my chances of getting a Java job is much higher than ones of getting a Cobol job, and that's why I am trying to make my resume more "Javacentric", so to speak.

This is what I am planning to write in my resume regarding my Java experience:

"Developed, implemented, maintained, analyzed and supported an application system “Reorg Optional Offers”, which allowed investment brokers to view offers and directly enter client participation instructions for eligible accounts from their workstations. Also, the brokers had access to offer-related information and offer-related functions such as quick links to the intranet news stories for a particular offer. This fairly complex application system contained more than 100 Java classes and involved a lot of GUI, which necessitated extensive use of Swing. In order to retrieve and update the relevant data, SQL instructions were sent to an Oracle database via JDBC."

Does this sound about right? What what you recommend I modify/delete/add?

I also have some limited experience with JSP pages, HTML and XML -- how exactly should I add this to the resume? Under "Languages"? or "Tools"?

Thank you very much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

angela.cure in Cincinnati, Ohio

50 months ago

Hello!

My name is Angela Cure and I am a recruiter with Sogeti USA. I came across your post when doing a google search for Java Developers. I am looking to fill a Java Developer Position in the Seattle area. I would be very interested in viewing your resume and making any suggestions that might be helpful. If you are interested in the suggestions or the Java Position please email me your resume at angela.cure@us.sogeti.com. Also feel free to check out our website at www.sogeti.com

BTW - I would take out "also, the brokers had access to offer-related information and offer-related functions such as" and put something more specific to what you did in the app. Such as, created/inserted quick links for easy functionality for the brokers, etc. that needs some work as well. But employers don't really care what the brokers are doing they want to know what you did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.