Breaking (back) into Java development

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

BBMW in New York, New York

16 months ago

I was a developer who got shunted into infrastructure / administration by my employer. I have done Java development, among other languages, but not that recently (a few years back.) That employer recently laid me off.

I'm looking to break back into Java developmet. But, obviously, I'm a little cold, given the layoff. This puts me in a catch 22. I'm not current enough to sell myself as an senior developer currently. But if you can't, the employers don't want you. I feel I can get up to speed quickly, and will bone up beforehand. I'll spend my own money on training, if that would help I'm also willing to go significantly backwards salarywise got get back in.

Short of out and out lying (which people have told me to do BTW), how do I get back in the door? How does anyone get a new job in a new (or in my case slightly old) technology?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Stormie in Tampa, Florida

13 months ago

BBMW in New York, New York said: I was a developer who got shunted into infrastructure / administration by my employer. I have done Java development , among other languages, but not that recently (a few years back.) That employer recently laid me off.

I'm looking to break back into Java developmet. But, obviously, I'm a little cold, given the layoff. This puts me in a catch 22. I'm not current enough to sell myself as an senior developer currently. But if you can't, the employers don't want you. I feel I can get up to speed quickly, and will bone up beforehand. I'll spend my own money on training, if that would help I'm also willing to go significantly backwards salarywise got get back in.

Short of out and out lying (which people have told me to do BTW), how do I get back in the door? How does anyone get a new job in a new (or in my case slightly old) technology?

Are you only looking in NY? I would recommend looking at a smaller company that would be likely to need all of your skills and allow you to develop desired skill sets. I am a recruiter for Kforce in Tampa, FL and we have Jr. Jave Developer positions that provide training but that is essentially an entry level position. If you want I would love to connect with you, review and share your resume with my colleagues who may be able to help you find a position here in Tampa or give some great advice.

Kforce is more than a staffing firm we really focus on career counseling and development. You can email me at scharles@kforce.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.