What are typical job coach salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Lilac in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

84 months ago

Yes, some companies pay a lot more for this position than others. Usually a top earner is someone who has a Master's Degree in a human service field and/or has a lot of experience under their belt. Skills which could increase your salary include (but are not limited to) the ability to perform vocational evaluations or supported employment assessments, the ability to perform task analyses, the ability to relate to/case manage/teach clients who may be difficult or challenging, and the ability to be flexible and think outside the box.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Lee McNulty in Cocoa, Florida

75 months ago

I am interested in becoming a job coach for disabled children. I have had some experience in job coaching within the school system. I am not a teacher, but I am a nurse. I desire to work side by side with a teacher who has her masters degree. What do job coach salaries bring in Brevard County?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

C.j. in Brooklyn, New York

72 months ago

Lilac in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: Yes, some companies pay a lot more for this position than others. Usually a top earner is someone who has a Master's Degree in a human service field and/or has a lot of experience under their belt. Skills which could increase your salary include (but are not limited to) the ability to perform vocational evaluations or supported employment assessments, the ability to perform task analyses, the ability to relate to/case manage/teach clients who may be difficult or challenging, and the ability to be flexible and think outside the box.

Job coaches begin at 25000 with only a high school diploma and experience in customer service and dealing with children and/or a small group of disabled adults,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SRV in Torrance, California

72 months ago

Wow! Salaries for job coaches begin at $25,000 in NY? In SO CAL some pay as high as $12 PH, the majority hover around minimum wage ($8)or slightly higher. In my three-plus years in the field what shocks me most is the glaring lack of job security. Staff can be suspended, investigated and eventually fired because of the fabrications of clients, typically female ones concocting sexual tales.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

glitter_lizzie in United Kingdom

58 months ago

Hi everyone, I have an interview on Monday for a job coach role and as part of the interview process, I have to give a presentation on the following scenario:

Alice is a 35 year old single mother with 2 children 5 and 9. She has been signed off with post natal depression since her first child was born. She has approached workwise claiming she's ready to go back into the workplace on a part-time basis. Her previous roles included office administration and hire car representative. While she attends her appointments in a very confindent manner, there has been a distinctive smell of alcohol on both meetings.

Basically I need some information on the scope of how far the job coach would go in order to help the client with her alcohol problem, whether as a job coach I would address the problem directly with the client, i.e ring her doctor/childrens services making sure the children are safe etc...or whether or not I would start her in some voluntarty work and keep close tabs on her reliabilty etc...

I've trailed through the internet and nothing really helps me from the point of the position the job coach would be in, so ANY input you could give me would be terrific.

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards

Lizzie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jenifer Wofford in Springfield, Illinois

56 months ago

From my experience, we bring those issues up with the caseworker for the client first, unless we feel comfortable witht he client we are working with.

Most of the times, I work with the indivuals who already are employed. when I have worked with those who are job seeking, I have asked questions of the client to bridge gaps in what Iwant to talk about.

Many of the people we see have hygiene problems. I ask a question about how an employer would view a person that smells. I then listen to their response and go from there.

I hope that helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

knott89

56 months ago

Hello,
My name is Michael (20 yrs old) and I recently was Hired on as a Job Coach. Can someone please help me! I work very well with people and I am intuitive when it comes to helping others. I should start working as soon as next week. What should I expect? I know this should be a question I should ask the employer but I want someones opionion that will not sugar-coat it for me. What should I do to prepare for this position, as far as orginizational and helpful hints I could use? I really want to make a huge impact in my community and do whatever it takes to make sure people are properly trained on the job and are sucessful. Thank you very much and any help would be much appreciated. Again thank you!!!
p.s. so the normal pay is $8 an hour???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Saint Louis, Missouri

56 months ago

It depends on the people you are working with.

Where I live we start out at 9.50 hour if you are DSP trained.

Your company should have paperwork that you will probably need to fill out on each person that you coach.

Make sure that you Know or have access to the policies of the employers that you are working with that way you can better help the person you are working with.

Depending on the person and the job, you might be working along side them. (I job coach a young man who is a cart pusher. We go where ever he goes(no bathroom). Another young man, I just have to sit and watch him push the carts.)

the worst part I think is talking about hygiene skills. It seems like that is the normal "reminder" that I have to give.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

knott89

56 months ago

Thank you Jen. I will be working with a variety of people, some with disabilities and some not. They gave me a practive evaluation sheet so I kind of get the general idea. Do you have any suggestions as far as setting up a training plan with them or helping them fufill the job duties, also with staying organized or materials I may need? It does seem that it would be challenging to talk about hygiene skills. What approach do you take in regards to that matter? I want to start the job with as much knowledge possible so I can be sucessful at helping others. Would you suggest any training links or information that you may have to give me a head start before I begin work? Thanks again for all your help! :)

Michael

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Iron Mountain, Michigan

52 months ago

Hi there. When I started out as a jobcoach/supervisor 4 years ago i was making 8 and now all that time later with more responsibilities im at 10. Thats two dollars more. wow.

Aaron in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

I am interested in becoming a job coach can anybody point me in the right direction?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenifer Wofford in Springfield, Illinois

40 months ago

What state are you looking at? Also there is varies types of job coaching. Are you looking to work with person with disablities?

Aaron Terbest in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

I want to work with persons with dis. Like at walmart or a wharehouse.

AuFan in Auburn, Alabama

40 months ago

It depends on which coaching job you are applying for. Starting in June all new coaches must have at least an Associates degree. Entry level coach's salary is in the low 40s a year. An Ops coach salary is from 50-60k. I do not know what the stores pay considering that I have only worked in the Distribution Center.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

AuFan in Auburn, Alabama

40 months ago

I know its not $10/hr because I am just a hauler and I make 18.95/hr at the distribution center.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Job Coach Supervisor in Beatrice, Nebraska

38 months ago

AuFan in Auburn, Alabama said: It depends on which coaching job you are applying for. Starting in June all new coaches must have at least an Associates degree. Entry level coach's salary is in the low 40s a year. An Ops coach salary is from 50-60k. I do not know what the stores pay considering that I have only worked in the Distribution Center.

I think you are confused on the thread. They have been talking about job coaches that help people with disabilities in the workplace.

n/a in Saint Paul, Minnesota

33 months ago

you guys should really look for smaller, nonprofit organizations. when I started as a jobcoach, I had little to no proffesional expierence and I am making 12.00 per hour + bonus's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennie in New Baltimore, Michigan

30 months ago

n/a in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: you guys should really look for smaller, nonprofit organizations. when I started as a jobcoach, I had little to no proffesional expierence and I am making 12.00 per hour + bonus's.

Where at?? My brother is looking for a new job

Jennie in New Baltimore, Michigan

30 months ago

n/a in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: you guys should really look for smaller, nonprofit organizations. when I started as a jobcoach, I had little to no proffesional expierence and I am making 12.00 per hour + bonus's.

Where at?? My brother is looking for a new job

N/A in Minneapolis, Minnesota

30 months ago

The company is called equality pathways to potential. Go to the website, (equalityonline.org) im sure it says that they aren't hiring but still send them a resume they will look at it. Also there are some companies called REM, The Mentor Network, Orion Associates, Meridian Services, Zenith Services. These companies hire for alot of services, from group homes to tranistional living and day programs. Have him check them out as well. They don't pay as well, but they all have potential to grow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

opine77@gmail.com in Tupelo, Mississippi

27 months ago

SRV in Torrance, California said: Wow! Salaries for job coaches begin at $25,000 in NY? In SO CAL some pay as high as $12 PH, the majority hover around minimum wage ($8)or slightly higher. In my three-plus years in the field what shocks me most is the glaring lack of job security. Staff can be suspended, investigated and eventually fired because of the fabrications of clients, typically female ones concocting sexual tales.

Research shows over 95% of the complaints are NOT fabrications. Action is warranted to protect the 95%.

bacordell in Bernard, Iowa

23 months ago

glitter_lizzie in United Kingdom said: Hi everyone, I have an interview on Monday for a job coach role and as part of the interview process, I have to give a presentation on the following scenario:

Alice is a 35 year old single mother with 2 children 5 and 9. She has been signed off with post natal depression since her first child was born. She has approached workwise claiming she's ready to go back into the workplace on a part-time basis. Her previous roles included office administration and hire car representative. While she attends her appointments in a very confindent manner, there has been a distinctive smell of alcohol on both meetings.

Basically I need some information on the scope of how far the job coach would go in order to help the client with her alcohol problem, whether as a job coach I would address the problem directly with the client, i.e ring her doctor/childrens services making sure the children are safe etc...or whether or not I would start her in some voluntarty work and keep close tabs on her reliabilty etc...

I've trailed through the internet and nothing really helps me from the point of the position the job coach would be in, so ANY input you could give me would be terrific.

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards

Lizzie

I myself would discuss the matter with all of the team members which are involved with her services which she receives which would also include the case management team. This would give everyone that would be involved the opportunity to be on the same path while also there would be diffent opportunities of help which would be the best interest of the person. Also it would be important to know if they also have a legal guardian. Remember it is always important to know this firstbefore taking the approach yourself. The next most important person would be the case manager because they have resources all through the department human services.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.