Getting a job developer job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

How did you get your start doing job developer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Desiree in New York, New York

94 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing job developer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

I'm currently a Job Developer, however my BA is in Journalism. You need to apply for social service positions, work with people who may have difficulties finding employment, assist in creating resumes and cover letters. Let me tell you its not a easy job, you stay busy, but overall it is rewarding. My starting pay is in the early 40's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beverly in Easthampton, Massachusetts

80 months ago

You might want to obtain some training...the National Career Development Association offers a CDF (Career Development Facilitator) training, which is offered in a varieety of locations across the country. It would give you a leg up when compared to other candidates. Check out www.ncda.org, and then to go the career development facilitator site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

hucklberrydoc

80 months ago

do you get paid overtime in this position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rjocean@*****.*** in Brockton, Massachusetts

74 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing job developer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Hello: I believe in this difficult job market, you must remain highly positive and have faith in yourself; regardless of anything that people are saying which is usually highly negative.

You only need a BA degree in any area; but, if you want to advance and secure a higher salary in the future--why not look into attending Assumption College on line. They are training master degreed candidates in the area of Human Services and disabily knowledge. You can also do an internship and then sit and pass the CRC (certified rehab counselor) to secure higher paying jobs.

You can also work as a contractor for agencies like Office of Rehab Services as a job developer contractor.

Why not make an ongoing listing of all the employers in your community that are interesting and hiring; or will be hiring in 2010.

Job Placement people must work with little or no supervision; therefore, you have to show that you are capable, honest, and a reliable worker for the people you work for.

You might even think about relocating to areas that are hiring people. New York area offers over $30/per hour at various agencies to do the work. If you are bi-lingual and even tri-lingual---you can probably get a job right away. Languages, speaking well, and dressing for success means a lot.

If you can drive around to meet recruiters that are seeking clients to hire, you can develop a data base on your own home computer with contact names and numbers and keep them for future purposes.

This is not an easy job in this economy; however, I think it is a good foot in the door to earn a very lucrative salary with good benefits down the road when the employment climate begins to show improvement.

If you are not afraid to approach people in a positive way---then this might be your opp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Good luck with this career. Make sure you have the appearance of a leader/recruiter. Research how people dress for the office and business sector. Appearance in our country means everything. if you have ever watched the reality show with "Chad" the realtor in Los Angeles talk, dress, think and act (highly overly confident) you could pick up pointers from how he is so convincing to sell million dollar homes. He is only around 23yrs old; drives an expensive mercedes, is a kid (in my view) ---but you have to laugh at how he can turn any negative situation into a huge positive result.

That is hard selling or soft selling. Do your research; see who's looking to hire people, and think about getting a higher degree after you find employment. Check out Assumption College's master program for disability (vocational rehab counseling) which covers every aspect of what job developers and counselors do for clients looking to find secure, competitive employment.

You could also find your local Commission on Rehab Services and ask to speak with the Director or Supv who could give you some insights. Just say you are doing some research on that particular area of work.

You have a vast amount of job descriptions on the O*Net Job Connector gives you a complete history of what different jobs are; and you could break into this field if you have a bachelors degree in any area.

Use your transferable skills to get a job in this field, and accept what they want to pay you up front so you can get more experience, then while you are still working; start sending out your updated one page resume to other companies paying higher salaries.

Your transferable skills list can show: computer-literate skills; data base knowledge(e.g. access; excel) and if you can communicate politely, and clearly to recruiters and employers looking to hire people. Try to get to all the job fairs coming up. Have a bunch of nicely printed out resumes and a separate listing of professional refs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Desiree in New York, New York said: I'm currently a Job Developer, however my BA is in Journalism. You need to apply for social service positions, work with people who may have difficulties finding employment, assist in creating resumes and cover letters. Let me tell you its not a easy job, you stay busy, but overall it is rewarding. My starting pay is in the early 40's.

Hi: can you let me know how your work is progressing? I live outside of Providence, Rhode Island and I'm going on an interview for this type of position next week. How can I stand out against the other candidates? Besides the obvious (I'm the best person for this job) (grin) thanks rjocean@verizon.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.