how to get journeyman electrician license in maryland

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 74)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

kola in Baltimore, Maryland

73 months ago

I have worked as a electrician for 6years now( under supervision of a master electrician) with over 9000 hrs. Where and How can i get my license in the state of maryland?.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (161) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

john in Rockville, Maryland

70 months ago

I have worked as a electrician for 5 years for small company under supervision of a master electrician ,i know a lot about electrical work but know my problem is that i don't work anymore for this company and the owner doesn't want to give the letter to take the test to get my license in the state of maryland, i don,t know what can i do............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (80) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

s weber in Baltimore, Maryland

68 months ago

John in Rockville. Do you have pay stubs? tax paperwork, w-2's? These could be a good place to start. Then call permitting and licensing in Montgomery County (I believe that is your county) if you are looking for a Journeyman's license. I believe a state Master Electrician's license requires 7 years, where the Journeyman's require 4. Also the Journeyman's is taken at the county level in MD.

permittingservices.montgomerycountymd.gov/dpstmpl.asp?url=/permitting/l/nfje.asp

I know that work can be slow these days...but have you thought about checking out the IBEW Local 26 (works out of DC)? If you get your Journeyman's first, you'll get top $ or if you prefer, you can go to school, make good money and school is free.

Kola in Baltimore, 7 years for Master and you need to contact the DLLR www.dllr.state.md.us/license/occprof/elec.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

leelootooo in Saint Michaels, Maryland

66 months ago

kola in Baltimore, Maryland said: I have worked as a electrician for 6years now( under supervision of a master electrician) with over 9000 hrs. Where and How can i get my license in the state of maryland?.

you have to go take them at the board search for their website on google.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joe in Milledgeville, Georgia

65 months ago

I just wanted to know what I need to do to get Journeymans card in Maryland. Just got layed off after 19 years with same company. Foreman 14 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

peter in Laurel, Maryland

64 months ago

I owned a sign business since june 2003 and before that I worked at other sign company for about 1 1/2 years that makes total 7 1/2 years at sign business.
I fabricated electrical signs and installed them all this time.
I really want to get electrician's license for either journeyman's or master's.
Does my experience years qualify to apply for license?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

kola in London, Ontario

62 months ago

ldybgz19 in Washington, District of Columbia thank you so much for the information. I already moved to Canada. Maybe in the future it might be of help to me or someone looking to get information.
Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ldybgz19 in Washington, District of Columbia

62 months ago

Wow, calm down. I am NOT saying anything bad about the Union. Just wanted people to know that work is slow there also. Sorry if my point came across in a negative way. Not at all what I meant.

sweber in Baltimore, Maryland

62 months ago

ldybgz19 in Washington, District of Columbia said: Wow, calm down. I am NOT saying anything bad about the Union. Just wanted people to know that work is slow there also. Sorry if my point came across in a negative way. Not at all what I meant.

I'm not upset or against you.I'm with you and totally feel for you and yours given your husband's situation. It's not easy. I was just providing the whole picture so that intelligent men and women can make their own decisions. My post about the Local was about School. As an FYI - Apprentices are the last to be laid off, as working in the field is a major part of their training for both the A and R programs. If they should happen to be out of work, they will be placed as soon as possible. Second, my other suggestion was to wait to enter the Union and go to the ABC for 4 years first, get licensed and then join. The situation that your husband is in, is current, not 4-5 years from now and that is what my post was about. As I mentioned previously, I hope your husband is back to work soon. Stay strong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

William Stoudt in Fleetwood, Pennsylvania

61 months ago

I recently got a job in Harford County for low voltage cabling and I am having a heck of a time obtaining a permit. They tell me I need a master license for the state. Is there any way to get one another way because the next test isn't till 9/23 which is too late.

William Stoudt in Fleetwood, Pennsylvania

61 months ago

William Stoudt in Fleetwood, Pennsylvania said: I recently got a job in Harford County for low voltage cabling and I am having a heck of a time obtaining a permit. They tell me I need a master license for the state. Is there any way to get one another way because the next test isn't till 9/23 which is too late.

Harford County Maryland.

bird in Pasadena, Maryland

61 months ago

i have been working in the field since 2002 as a masters helper, have worked on industrial,commical,residential,worked doing low volt doing data have about 14,000 hrs maybe more what do i need to do to get my license

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

UnionYes26

58 months ago

bird in Pasadena, Maryland said: i have been working in the field since 2002 as a masters helper, have worked on industrial,commical,residential,worked doing low volt doing data have about 14,000 hrs maybe more what do i need to do to get my license

Bird

You will need four years of documented proof to take the journeymens test. I too also suggest that you contact Local 26 no matter the work situation and become a member. In the future it will pay off. It was the best thing I have ever done.

58 months ago

Thank you for your information, do you have contact number for Local 26?
Peter

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

matt in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

does anyone know if a journeyman license can transfer from state to state? Im a student now and when I finish school I will be able to take W.V.'s test. Im wondering if employers in other states can/will accept that license?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bruce dorsey in Rockville, Maryland

57 months ago

can i get a practice examble journeymans test to practice im snowed in and i need to study i test in one week

soonto be civilian mr. Roberts in Apo

57 months ago

i am currently in the Airforce and have a Journeymans craft leve i was wondering if i could take the test and skip the schooling section. i have been in over 2 years and looking at getting a admin discharge. any information would be helpful!

rg in Rockville, Maryland

56 months ago

I went to a trade school called a.b.c and it was a four year program I received a diploma from pg community college. i thought i needed to still take my jorneyman test I was told I didn't and my diploma was looked at as a jorneyman. Is that truez?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

K in Camas, Washington

56 months ago

Does the 4 years of experience need to be in the same state you are trying to get licensed in?

You will need four years of documented proof to take the journeymens test. I too also suggest that you contact Local 26 no matter the work situation and become a member. In the future it will pay off. It was the best thing I have ever done.

56 months ago

Thank you for your input. Here is my situation. I am a sign guy and just got the limited master electrician license in montgomery county. Will I be eligible to join the local 26 and what would be the steps to take?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Greg in Finksburg, Maryland

52 months ago

I want to get my journeymans and join the local. I live in Westminster md. I have alot of experiance but with multiple companys. If I have all the pay stubs or W-2's, Can I take that informantion to get my journeymans? And do you have to get a license for each county I work in?

Jack Simpson in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

49 months ago

Baltimore and DC are both great cities to start, but if you are ever in the Houston area you should check out www.experthoustonelectrician.com.

rltomkinson in Sterling, Virginia

48 months ago

matt in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: does anyone know if a journeyman license can transfer from state to state? Im a student now and when I finish school I will be able to take W.V.'s test. Im wondering if employers in other states can/will accept that license?

Generally, Journeyman licenses do not transfer. But, if you have a license, other jurisdictions will let you take the test at that level. If you want to test higher, then you must meet that jurisdiction's requirements for the higher level exam.

For those looking for info on the union, google "IBEW local 26" (Washington, DC area) or "IBEW local 24" (Baltimore area)

Marty in Westminster, Maryland

47 months ago

Went through 3 years apprenticeship in local 24 back in the early 60's until I had too many kids to feed for helper's wages. Worked for numerous electrical contractors over many years. Been operating my own Sign installation business for 24 years and do hook ups on free standing pylon Signs, but never on a bldg. People don't live or work in Signs. It's all about fire insurance. Anyone know where to take a test for a license to hook up all Signs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marty in Ellicott City, Maryland

45 months ago

Marty in Westminster, Maryland said: Went through 3 years apprenticeship in local 24 back in the early 60's until I had too many kids to feed for helper's wages. Worked for numerous electrical contractors over many years. Been operating my own Sign installation business for 24 years and do hook ups on free standing pylon Signs, but never on a bldg. People don't live or work in Signs. It's all about fire insurance. Anyone know where to take a test for a license to hook up all Signs?

Many counties issue a restricted or limited electrical license.

Marty Schumacher
M.S. Electrical Training
Maryland

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marty in Ellicott City, Maryland

45 months ago

For local training to pass an electrical journeymans or masters test, check out M.S. Electrical Training. www.mselectricaltraining.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Silver Spring, Maryland

45 months ago

I recently immigrated to the US with my American wife. In the UK I was a licensed electrician with 15+ years of experience. Does anyone know if the licensing board gives consideration to foreign trained electricians? I am trying to avoid having to do an apprenticeship (Ive paid my dues). I understand I will need to learn local code (and 120 volt), but is there a way to "test out" of any prerequisites? Thanks for the info!

lostartgallery@aol.com in Bowie, Maryland

44 months ago

Any classes for journeyman electrician in area of washington,d.c. When is next journeyman electrician test due? Who may I contact?

lostartgallery@aol.com in Bowie, Maryland

44 months ago

Any classes for journeyman electrician in area of washington,d.c. When is next journeyman electrician test due? Who may I contact?

rltomkinson in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia

44 months ago

Are you looking to take the test in DC or MD? If MD, what county?

44 months ago

Paul in Silver Spring, Maryland said: I recently immigrated to the US with my American wife. In the UK I was a licensed electrician with 15+ years of experience. Does anyone know if the licensing board gives consideration to foreign trained electricians? I am trying to avoid having to do an apprenticeship (Ive paid my dues). I understand I will need to learn local code (and 120 volt), but is there a way to "test out" of any prerequisites? Thanks for the info!

Check with IBEW Local 26: www.ibewlocal26.org/

and also Montgomery County's web site: permittingservices.montgomerycountymd.gov/dpstmpl.asp?url=/permitting/l/nfje.asp

One or the other should be able to provide the information you need.

bman in Hyattsville, Maryland

44 months ago

Taking the journeyman's electrical exam this week. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to study/read up on. Took the test 10 years ago- passed- but not a great test taker.

44 months ago

I used Electrician Exam Prep Book from Mike Holt. It has a lot more info than you need for a Journeyman's test, but I have also used just that book for three Master's (WV,VA&DC) tests as well.

joshf23 in Baltimore, Maryland

44 months ago

Mark in Lititz, Pennsylvania said: Does anyone happen to know the contact information to get a journeymans license in Baltimore County? I can find Montgomery and Harford County contacts, but not Baltimore.

i would like to find out how to get my journey mans license in the state of maryland.. everything is in specific countys do they have a state wide license?

44 months ago

joshf23 in Baltimore, Maryland said: i would like to find out how to get my journey mans license in the state of maryland.. everything is in specific countys do they have a state wide license?

The only statewide license is at the Master level. If you are interested, see www.dllr.state.md.us/license/elec/eleclic.shtml

pbody in Bowie, Maryland

44 months ago

I'm currently attempting to gt my journeyman license in Wash DC but i need help with putting my letter together for the board i was wondering if anyone on could point me in the right direction for constructing the letter I've been in the trade since 2001 i was once a member of local 26 but but for the last couple of years I've been with non-union contractors any help would be appreciated thanks

44 months ago

pbody in Bowie, Maryland said: I'm currently attempting to gt my journeyman license in Wash DC but i need help with putting my letter together for the board i was wondering if anyone on could point me in the right direction for constructing the letter I've been in the trade since 2001 i was once a member of local 26 but but for the last couple of years I've been with non-union contractors any help would be appreciated thanks

I'm not exactly sure what letter you are talking about. You may need a letter from Local 26 to verify your years with the union. You will also need proof of employment as an apprentice for at least four years. All of this will have to notarized for DC to accept it. I believe there are also several forms you have to download and fill out as well, including one for your moral character. Then you will need two passport photos and a copy of your driver's license, copies of your W-2's, proof of a code class taken within the last two years.

there is a checklist on the last page of this document:
www.asisvcs.com/publications/pdf/660992.pdf

I hope this helps and good luck!

luis in York, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

ihave diploma(ELECTRIC}PUERTO RICO,7 YEARS IN PR AND 5 YEARS IN PA,HOW I GET THE JOURNEYMAN TEST IN BALTIMORE MD

rltomkinson in Sterling, Virginia

42 months ago

It appears that Baltimore does not license journeyman, only masters and specialty licenses.

resources.baltimorecountymd.gov/Documents/Permits/ElectricalInspections/3elecexamapp.pdf
resources.baltimorecountymd.gov/Documents/Permits/ElectricalInspections/license_info.pdf

If anyone knows differently, please respond.

LocalGuy in Owings Mills, Maryland

42 months ago

after you finish training with IBEW JATC you automaticly become a journeyman and make 34.60 pluss benies lets soupport our local unions. If the union goes away the non-union wages WILL go down. We also have the CE program so you wont have to start over if you have been in the field for some years. For far too long the IBEW has been a " good ole boys " club, were changing that. Any non-union guys that have worked scale thats thanks to us and our 48.05 hr. total package. I worked non union for 7 yrs and I can say this is better. Times are hard for everyone and 24 had me laied off for 3 months last year and i still made more money than when i worked non-union. For 7 yrs i was told how bad the union was i was lie'd to, and guess what no company can fire you for talking about or to the union and if they do you can sue the hell out of em. Unions are FOR you and me so we get a bigger part of ur bosses pay check. even if you dont want to join the local you can still report unfair acts to your local IBEW chapter and they will fight the company for you.It can be things like filthy spot-a-pots lack of drinking watter, forcing you to work thru ur break or lunch, no ot after 8hrs of work ect... Combat cheap under priced labor in the construction industry SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL. they are for us all ( I worked non-union for 7 years not all rat companies are bad but most of them are ) Have a good day brothers and sisters

my views are not those of the IBEW or there Chapters

www.ibewlocal24.org
www.jatc24.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rwynder@verizon.net in Baltimore, Maryland

41 months ago

LocalGuy in Owings Mills, Maryland said: after you finish training with IBEW JATC you automaticly become a journeyman and make 34.60 pluss benies lets soupport our local unions. If the union goes away the non-union wages WILL go down. We also have the CE program so you wont have to start over if you have been in the field for some years. For far too long the IBEW has been a " good ole boys " club, were changing that. Any non-union guys that have worked scale thats thanks to us and our 48.05 hr. total package. I worked non union for 7 yrs and I can say this is better. Times are hard for everyone and 24 had me laied off for 3 months last year and i still made more money than when i worked non-union. For 7 yrs i was told how bad the union was i was lie'd to, and guess what no company can fire you for talking about or to the union and if they do you can sue the hell out of em. Unions are FOR you and me so we get a bigger part of ur bosses pay check. even if you dont want to join the local you can still report unfair acts to your local IBEW chapter and they will fight the company for you.It can be things like filthy spot-a-pots lack of drinking watter, forcing you to work thru ur break or lunch, no ot after 8hrs of work ect... Combat cheap under priced labor in the construction industry SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL. they are for us all ( I worked non-union for 7 years not all rat companies are bad but most of them are ) Have a good day brothers and sisters

my views are not those of the IBEW or there Chapters

www.ibewlocal24.org need help finding appernticeship.
www.jatc24.org

need help find appernticeship

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

electriclady in Frederick, Maryland

39 months ago

kola in Baltimore, Maryland said: I have worked as a electrician for 6years now( under supervision of a master electrician) with over 9000 hrs. Where and How can i get my license in the state of maryland?.

Hey how are you? my Dad is a master electrician and teaches journeymen prep classes a all you need to know before the exam.... email me for more info if interested tell him Laura refered you. lauraf724@aol.com

electriclady in Frederick, Maryland

39 months ago

HELLO EVERYONE! MY FATHER IS A MASTER ELECTRICIAN AND TEACHES A COURSE TO PREPARE YOU FOR THE JOURNEYMAN EXAM HE IS AN EXCELLENT TEACHER AND IF YOU FAIL THE COURSE OR "PRE EXAM" YOU RETAKE FOR FREE! IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN DC MD OR VIRGINIA PLEASE EMAIL ME FOR FOR INFO AT LAURAF724@AOL.COM!

emmagiles@rocketmail.com in Essex, Maryland

39 months ago

[Hey Bird:

I have a general engineering degree with course work in physics and electrical engineering. I am accelerating passing the Journeyman's license through self-study and practical exercise. I have not found anything definitive with DLLR Maryland that says I need certain hours to become licensed and be ABLE to take the journeyman's exam. I am now applying for some helper/apprentice positions.

Any thoughts?

Mike

39 months ago

rwynder@verizon.net in Baltimore, Maryland said: need help find appernticeship

Hello, just finnished course @ ABC PRE- Apprenticeship, loking to get on with a contractor to get OJT and to sponsor class can you help.

rltomkinson in Charles Town, West Virginia

39 months ago

@Mike, Best thing to do is call DLLR and ask them. Anything anybody else tells you may, or may not, be accurate.

39 months ago

@rwynder, Are you trying to get on with the union or with a non-union contractor? If trying to get on with the union, contact them. Google IBEW local 24 for Baltimore or local 26 for DC.

qgoffq in Astoria, New York

39 months ago

It depends where u are trying to get the jcard but dc wants to see that you have a min of 4 years actual field experience Md is 7 years

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

qgoffq in Astoria, New York said: It depends where u are trying to get the jcard but dc wants to see that you have a min of 4 years actual field experience Md is 7 years

Mike stated that he has an engineering degree. That usually reduces the requirements. That is why I said he should talk to DLLR directly.

38 months ago

rltomkinson in Charles Town, West Virginia said: @rwynder, Are you trying to get on with the union or with a non-union contractor? If trying to get on with the union, contact them. Google IBEW local 24 for Baltimore or local 26 for DC.

Thats just it dont have enough, exp. right now it doesnt make a differance union or non union. just trying to get in the feild.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.