Are journeyman lineman job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most journeyman lineman opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Greg Sorensen in Manti, Utah

82 months ago

I have found that a lot of city jobs, such as Provo, say that they are (Equal Opp. Employeers) But, when there is a job opening, only current employees know of the job. This is because a lot of cities post city job openings,"in house" or on their local job board. So, if you do not have the means to check that board often than you don't know there is an opening. How do I get around this? Because, I know that the skills I pos. would be a big deal and very important to the electrical crew and the employeer that I would be with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jon brault in Columbia, South Carolina

77 months ago

go to where the growth is to get foot in door. best job, wouldn't want to do anything else. 18 years and still lov goin to work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in North Benton, Ohio

74 months ago

Available jobs in the utilities industry are increasing as the industry faces a growing number of retirements over the next 10-15 years, especially in linework. Many private utilities companies are looking for experienced Journey level employees. For instance, my company in NJ (JCP&L) has several openings in Central & North NJ for Journemen linemen, troublemen, and cable splicers. Our website is www.firstenergycorp.com/line. Other places that advertise line positions are www.powerlineman.com, www.utilityjobsonline, and the different lineman school sites. If you're in an area with unions, you could also talk with your local union rep as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

bruce in Dayton, Ohio

73 months ago

I stared in line work when I was 16, that was over 40 years ago and I still love my work If you are thinking about becoming a lineman "do It". as long as people need power you wiil never be out of work. when work gets slow in your area you can call your union to see were the work is and go there. I hope this will encourage you to become a lineman.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Don in Waikoloa, Hawaii

55 months ago

Greg Sorensen in Manti, Utah said: I have found that a lot of city jobs, such as Provo, say that they are (Equal Opp. Employeers) But, when there is a job opening, only current employees know of the job. This is because a lot of cities post city job openings,"in house" or on their local job board. So, if you do not have the means to check that board often than you don't know there is an opening. How do I get around this? Because, I know that the skills I pos. would be a big deal and very important to the electrical crew and the employeer that I would be with.

What I tell friends here is get your foot in the door. If this means you have to start as a meter reading, mail room clerk, or an administrative assistant, then do it. Once your "in" you'll have access and emails regarding all of the companies postings. Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lvlineman

55 months ago

Don in Waikoloa, Hawaii said: What I tell friends here is get your foot in the door. If this means you have to start as a meter reading, mail room clerk, or an administrative assistant, then do it. Once your "in" you'll have access and emails regarding all of the companies postings. Hope this helps

You're telling me that as a journeyman lineman with a nice yellow ticket in your pocket, you would take a meter reading job, just to " get your foot in the door?" There's gotta be a better way!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RJC in Tennessee in Columbia, Tennessee

54 months ago

My husband has been a journeyman lineman for 25+ years. His home local is 558 but he has worked most recently (the last 5 years) out of 702 in West Frankfort, IL. However, he was laid off in December 09 and NO locals seem to be hiring. Our best prospect was in Nova Scotia but they called today and said they are not taking anyone else from the US at this time. In all of the years we have NEVER seen work this slow. Does anyone know of any areas that are hiring? Would appreciate any help we can get.

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shaw in Calgary, Alberta

50 months ago

Go to Alberta, ATCO Electric and you will be sure to find work

Tundra Recruiter in Coquitlam, British Columbia

50 months ago

We have an opportunity right NOW for a Lineman in Nunavuk. It pays $40/hour and the job begins Oct. 27th, 2010!

Obviously you need to be able to work in Canada and be able to stomach the weather.

I have additional job info (this is not a power run job, only fiber optic and mostly aerial) up request. If you are interested send me an email at bthompson@tundratechnical.ca. We are being told that the window is closing here and we need candidates ASAP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Brampton, Ontario

37 months ago

Tundra Recruiter in Coquitlam, British Columbia said: We have an opportunity right NOW for a Lineman in Nunavuk. It pays $40/hour and the job begins Oct. 27th, 2010!

Obviously you need to be able to work in Canada and be able to stomach the weather.

I have additional job info (this is not a power run job, only fiber optic and mostly aerial) up request. If you are interested send me an email at bthompson@tundratechnical.ca. We are being told that the window is closing here and we need candidates ASAP!

Hello,

If you seek assistance, please let me know. I've done a lot of recruiting for Nunavut and could be a great resource for you, if you are open to partnering.

Take care,

Debbie

TRT LLC in centerburg, Ohio

9 months ago

What's the work like in central ohio? Are their many apprentice positions
Available now and projected in the next few years?just wondering if I should
Try and do training school now or am I wasting my time and money? I have seen
Quite A few people say that its not where you start but where you end up just wondering
Because I've traveled for the last 17 yrs with my current job and would like to learn
In one place and not keep bouncing around from town to town.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.