journeyman salary report on this website is a joke

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 100)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

BOB in Portland, Oregon

76 months ago

The report of the earnings of a journeyman plumber is a joke it list a OREGON journeyman wage @ $37,000 that is way way under what you should be making if thier are people taking postions for that amount of money then i say F it I am going union if you cant haggle a decent living then get out of my trade your making it hard for all the guys who are trying to make a living why make the owner rich by cutting off 35,000K a year!!?? Thats it I have had enough this Journeyman is going Union you rats can scwabble over the scraps you left yourselfs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

alex grichuhin in Salt Lake City, Utah

75 months ago

what the hell are you talking about. those stats are wrong i am a plumber i also have a RCP rescpiratory practitioner degree and a licensed with my 4 f years of school to become one and i am still plumbing we make 35 an hour we are the highest payed in construction its a fact i dont care what you say, its a fact and i love to build i dont deal with poop or pee or people i do new construction and love it. i have a 401k and mutual funds at 10% so when i am 45 i will have 2.2 million alone aww you stupid people thought we were dumb. try it yourself it takes lots and lots of math, and lots of common sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

alex grichuhin in Salt Lake City, Utah

75 months ago

thank you friend i will!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Todd in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

75 months ago

The current average is correct for my area and i think its bull! Unless your a traveling union plumber its even lower for new construction. I do repair and remodel and am exspected to be in the poo and get to hear lousy customers complain about their "value". The only people making more than the average are the ones raking their customers. The worst part is it doesnt mention that most service plumbers put in 60-70 hours a week to get that kinda money. Owners are so scared to raise rates due to the next owner wont in order to gather more business wich is retarded when there is such a HUGE shortage on service plumbers. I personally know of 9 companies loosing appoxamately $3000 a day due to no able bodies to do the work. NOW HIRING IN OKLAHOMA. man! i would love to see anything close to $35per hour vs. $1000 wk for 50-60 hrs and im the field manager!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

oh yeah, we provide all of our own tools,manditory on-call,most compaies dont provide health nor 401k, and if your lucky .... some company's do pay for the gas in the vehicles that get 9 miles to the gallon. For those wondering what the new-construction guys get , well its about $15hr (licenced) to start but generally caps around $19 with several years of continuouse employment and about a 35 hour a week average. Id starve to death. OMG the shortage is soo bad most companies will still hire you if you smoke weed (service -not alowed ON the job new const. - dont do it on sight or if anyone is around ) because if they didnt there would be nobody to do the work and the companies would fold. NOW AINT THAT TWISTED!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Eliot in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

73 months ago

I'm about to do what's right for my family and become part of the brotherhood. I've run my own new construction/light commrcial business for some time now. Hours are punishing and hard on my young family. The allure of getting involved in the larger projects here in the city have drawn my attention. I'd enjoy working on any number of the projects slated to start over the next few years. Majority, if not all, are Union projects.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

George in Melbourne, Australia

69 months ago

alex grichuhin in Salt Lake City, Utah said: what the hell are you talking about. those stats are wrong i am a plumber i also have a RCP rescpiratory practitioner degree and a licensed with my 4 f years of school to become one and i am still plumbing we make 35 an hour we are the highest payed in construction its a fact i dont care what you say, its a fact and i love to build i dont deal with poop or pee or people i do new construction and love it. i have a 401k and mutual funds at 10% so when i am 45 i will have 2.2 million alone aww you stupid people thought we were dumb. try it yourself it takes lots and lots of math, and lots of common sense.

How you going mate im a plumber from australia and was looking to move to the usa do you think it would be hard for me to get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

BOB in Federal Way, Washington

69 months ago

George in Melbourne, Australia said: How you going mate im a plumber from australia and was looking to move to the usa do you think it would be hard for me to get a job.

Depends George which state you plan on moving to and if you plan on being a union plumber.

Right now the economy is slow in the USA especially in the southern states. I am from the NW US and work is steady but there is not much mostly commercial and industrial work residential is next to nothing everywhere. If the state you choose to live in requires you to have a state Journeyman plumbing license then chances are you will be able to find work at a decent wage union or non union. If no license is required then the field is ambushed with no at alls, wanna be's, & rookies and there is no work to be found at a decent wage & benefits. Personally I would talk to a union organizer in the area you plan to move to, I regret ever working non union. Union wages, benefits, training, & retirement are in black in white & you know your getting the best wage in the area and you don't even have to fight for it, it has already been collectively negotiated by your fellow union brothers.

BOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

George in Melbourne, Australia

69 months ago

Thanks mate i was planning a move to either new york, florida, or las vegas i am in the union in my country and i think its the same in your country where if your not union no benefits and the wages are not the best.which state do you think is best to work at? and
would it be hard for me to get a licence as a plumber in the us i have all my licences in australia.

Alexander Grichuhin Strongman plumbing in Salt Lake City, Utah

69 months ago

It is slow in the USA but their is a catch on everything. It does not mean you have to be slow if you can find a way to get your contractors license here in the US then you can get more and more buisness then you think. Have you ever heard of home insurance like First American?? you can apply your license with them and many more. Right now. The people here in the US look for the bigger better deal. with the insurance company, they pay you from 150 190 700 depending on the work and they pay you well to fix the job on top of which you get 10 calls a day for real because when the home owner has a problem they call the insurance company up and then they pay a 55 deductable and the insurance pays the rest, the catch to that is, you have to be nice and get great scores with them. so instead of the home owner paying thousands for a work order or a new water heater or any thing with plumbing the insurance does pay you. so you dont have to be slow at all. and trust me you will make it with all the money you want you just have to be honest and willing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

George in Melbourne, Australia said: Thanks mate i was planning a move to either new york, florida, or las vegas i am in the union in my country and i think its the same in your country where if your not union no benefits and the wages are not the best.which state do you think is best to work at? and
would it be hard for me to get a licence as a plumber in the us i have all my licences in australia.

Wages are different for each local but I think it is actually the same it depends with cost of living of the area. I would concentrate on talking to the local union halls in the areas you want to move to and ask them how many plumbers they have on the out of work list, that will give you a good idea if the area is busy. I do not know what it is like to get your license in any state except Washington and Oregon in these states you need notarized affidavits of experience from your previous employers that totals over 8000 hours 5000 hours of that in commercial plumbing to be eligible to take the journeyman exam. You may need to talk to the state to see if you Australia Journeyman card is good enough. I also do not know if you use the 2006 Uniform Plumbing Code I am under the impression that the United States is the only one using this code and all other foreign countries use International Plumbing Code plumbing code. The difference is totally different and you will need to know the UPC to pass the exam and to work in the US industry. In Washington and Oregon they have state amendments to the UPC as well were they have decided that the UPC in its plain form is just not good enough so the state has added extra restrictions to the UPC code. You may want to check with the state on any amendments when you talk to them about licensing. As far as which state is better for union is mostly the northern states southern states tend to be mostly non-union. Though there is a union hall in every state, when it comes to serious work like nuclear, treatment, pip

69 months ago

Continued.........

Though there is a union hall in every state, when it comes to serious work like nuclear, treatment, pipeline, hospitals, plants, schools, military, & high-rise, you tend to see the more highly skilled professional craftsmen that are union. good luck to you mate!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pat LOCAL 690 in Norristown, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

George in Melbourne, Australia said: How you going mate im a plumber from australia and was looking to move to the usa do you think it would be hard for me to get a job.

Hey brother right now is not a very good time to look for a job in const. If you do, look in to joining tha UA, that is the United Association of Union Plumbers Steamitters sprinklerfitters and service techs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

soapboxer in National City, California

69 months ago

I have been trying to find a decent company for the past 8 months and cannot find one that is hiring.I left my last company because as i got raises my hours got cut and many other events.I am a licensed journeymanwent to school for 4 years at nite after work with 9 years experience and cant seem to make better than 9$ an hour or commission.the union hasnt been very helpful and trying to talk to someone is almost impossible. does anyone have advise for a frusterated professional.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

mario in Saint Louis, Missouri

69 months ago

i just wanted 2say i've been n the union for 9yrs, i know thats not along time but i'm only 26years old. Thats right i got n at 18 & with no help of family or friends, hell i loved it so much i took it up n high school. and i've seen the ends and outs and let me tell u we as plumbers need 2 stop stabbing each other n the back scared someone is going 2 take our job, we dont have to worry about rats cause sometimes we act worst then em. U all dont have 2 agree with me but i've 1st handed have worked with the fitters and their more 2gather then we are (not all but majority of them) and they look out 4 u alittle more, everyone knows their place and everyones cool with that. I should know in the year of 2008 i traveled 2vegas, illnois, and indiana all while working with the fitters n all those states. And let me tell u in the last job at BP in 7wks i made 22,000. I'm by no means bragging but letting u know the real money is not always n top dallor but in overtime and fitters get the most of it. Don't get me wrong i'm not a fitter promoting fitters over plumbers cause i was a journeyman plumber at 23 orginally but now that i'm 26 i have all my licenses: MASTER PLUMBER, MASTER MECHANICAL, & MASTER PIPEFITTERS LICENSE.If u dont believe me go 2 the ua website or i'll fax you the copies but the point is that there not only good in Missouri, but in 14 different states not 2 mention both backflow licenses repair $ tester. So yeah i think my words are weighty. Lets stop saying were the best/most payed trade and start actting like most genuine trade

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Alexander Grichuhin Strongman plumbing in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Have you ever heard of home insurance like First American??

First American is trash in our area, it took our company 9 months to get them to pay the $15,000 owed in back charges and now their fallng behind in their payments (again) and now we just heard that they are pulling out of the market.
AHS american home shield. Here is another gem of a company. they think that everyone should do ALL work reg,ot,and dt hours on a $90 flat rate.Lets not forget the 50 min hold when you call ahs for coverage,approvals, or any reason.
there are other home warranty insurance companies out there but the end story is the same, its a filler job(not much money) you get treated like trash from the customers and the companies you provide for. who in the hell installs a 40 gal HWT for $125? the tank costs more than that!

soapboxer in National City, California

69 months ago

I had to walk out of the last company for paying me 8$ for installing a 40 gal waterheater. yeah it only took me an hour but just because im skilled enough to do that doesnt mean i should be payed less.Everyone else can stay there and do what I refuse to. Stay away from comission companies they are ruining the trade stealing from customers and taking advantage of skilled craftsmen during hard times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I dont beleive commission shops are killing the trade, its the consumers and fear of the consumer. companies are petrified to raise the rates in fear that the next company wont. companies watch each others rates alot. customers need to get their head out of their ass and stop complaining about the "VALUE" of their dollar at our exspense. im all too tired of the customer that crys and complains about not being able to afford what they NEED and yet wont give up the seadoo, 2 motorcycles, brand new cars in the drive, etc. Im tired of working 60-70 hours a week to make a decent living and then have some idiot say "you plumbers make BIG money".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

megan damans in Uniondale, South Africa

68 months ago

alex grichuhin in Salt Lake City, Utah said: what the hell are you talking about. those stats are wrong i am a plumber i also have a RCP rescpiratory practitioner degree and a licensed with my 4 f years of school to become one and i am still plumbing we make 35 an hour we are the highest payed in construction its a fact i dont care what you say, its a fact and i love to build i dont deal with poop or pee or people i do new construction and love it. i have a 401k and mutual funds at 10% so when i am 45 i will have 2.2 million alone aww you stupid people thought we were dumb. try it yourself it takes lots and lots of math, and lots of common sense.

hi i am Meagan Damans i have do the Plumbing for a company with the name EPWP ,but the job has close 2009 February looking for a better company to work for?

dub dee in hayward, California

66 months ago

stop ragging on non union service guys weve not all hacks ive been trained by the best i went to the 4 years of school guys like me take pride in what we do and yes im paid on comission i make really good money and i dont rip the customers off i sell them only what they need if you make 37000 as a plumber you need to change one of two things your in the wrong trade found a new one or look for a new company to work for have a good day and keep lying pipe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ian future plumby in Mesa, Arizona

65 months ago

Well right now there's alot of competition where i'm from.I got to retake the math test and get a perfect score.I'm going to learn to do all of plumbing through 5 years of schooling and apprenticeship.You definetly got to be somewhat savvy at math.This is what I've wanted to do for along time,but my headaches before where incapasitating.It sucks because,6 months ago I would have been on the top of the list.I'm a person that loves this kind of work,it sucks I have to compete with people who don't care about it,just desperate for a job.I just need to brush up on it,But I have huge drive and ambition for it.

BOB in Seattle, Washington

65 months ago

Ian future plumby in Mesa, Arizona said: Well right now there's alot of competition where i'm from.I got to retake the math test and get a perfect score.I'm going to learn to do all of plumbing through 5 years of schooling and apprenticeship.You definetly got to be somewhat savvy at math.This is what I've wanted to do for along time,but my headaches before where incapasitating.It sucks because,6 months ago I would have been on the top of the list.I'm a person that loves this kind of work,it sucks I have to compete with people who don't care about it,just desperate for a job.I just need to brush up on it,But I have huge drive and ambition for it.

I am originally from mesa, az and the compition there is feirce! I used to work for Irontree Construction a very good Non-union outfit.

Are you union? The packages are decent in your area and you work on the good jobs. I would advise you to get skilled in steam fitting/pipe welding/pipe fitting the plumbing sector has fallin to rats and piles of filthy scabs are fighting each other over the scraps left by greedy rich employers!

Its sad really

service plumber123 in Chandler, Arizona

64 months ago

I'VE READ JUST ABOUT EVERYONES GRIPE IN THE PLUMBING INDUSTRY AND I MUST SAY ITS DIFFICULT TO JUDGE ANYONE FOR TRYING TO TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE NOW A DAYS. THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS IF YOUR GOOD THEN YOUR GOOD AND YOUR CONFIDENCE WILL BE REFLECTED IN YOUR PAY CHECK. REGARDLESS IF THE ECONOMY IS BAD OR GOOD BECAUSE AS THE SAYING GOES "THE CREAM ALWAYS RAISES TO THE TOP" AND IF YOUR NOT GOOD SO WHAT ONE DAY YOU WILL FIND THAT ONE PLUMBER WHO IS NOT AFRAID TO TEACH YOU THE TRADE THE RIGHT WAY WHICH IS TO PASS ON WHAT YOU HAVE LEARNED AND ENLIGHTEN SOMEONE ELSE THE REAL LESSON IS TO BE A F-ING HUMAN BEING FIRST THEN AND ONLY THEN ALL THIS BICKERING WILL STOP WHICH BY THE LOOKS OF IT, DOESNT APPEAR TO BE ANY TIME SOON. WITH THAT BEING SAID DOOOO NOTTTT UNDERRRR SELLLLL YOURRRRRR SELFFFF HEAD UP AND SHOULDERS BACK AND CHEST OUT YOU ARE THE REASON HUMANITY EXISTS TODAY, WE ALONE ABBOLISHED THE BLACK PLAUQE SO YOU SHOULD WALK AROUND WITH A STRUT IN YOUR WALK.........
PS. TREAT OTHER PEOPLE LIKE YOU EXPECT TO BE TREATED....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jd 24hrs in Taupo, New Zealand

63 months ago

I moved from the uk to new zealand, and boy is the plumbing trade different in NZ they are poorly paid and under valued .being paid $15 to 20 dollers on average when i moved over I was paid $15.50 then they realised that there own were poorly trained so i was paid $28.50 so it just goes to show sell yourselves cos no body esle will esp the suits who are only good for pushing papers oh by the when I lived in the uk I was earning£65 for plumbing and £75 for gas work so remember when we come out of this recesion push for better wages WE ARE ALLWAYS WORTH MORE

Romel in Mesa, Arizona

62 months ago

soapboxer in National City, California said: I have been trying to find a decent company for the past 8 months and cannot find one that is hiring.I left my last company because as i got raises my hours got cut and many other events.I am a licensed journeymanwent to school for 4 years at nite after work with 9 years experience and cant seem to make better than 9$ an hour or commission.the union hasnt been very helpful and trying to talk to someone is almost impossible. does anyone have advise for a frusterated professional.

I'm looking for sombody for plumbing work. I work in Las Vegas. There are much work. I need from sombody to repipe more houses

Romel in Mesa, Arizona

62 months ago

I'm looking for sombody for work in Las Vegas. There are much work. I need to repipe more houses

Romel in Mesa, Arizona

62 months ago

I need from somebody for plumbing work in Las Vegas, NV. If you are interested - write me,please

vinny the plumber in Waipahu, Hawaii

61 months ago

I'm a union plumber and want to know what the rate of pay is in Phoneix, AZ and how are the companies out there???

Mike the plumber in Shoemakersville, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

Hey, i've been a plumber now for about 13 years i started out at 8 bucks an hour i'm now making $70,000 a year and climbing so whoever thinks we make 35,000 a year is completley wrong thats a starting out wage (Get it right people)!

plumber melbourne in Calcutta, India

59 months ago

The rate should be taken into the account. Again one more thing is that the customers also would like to see some sort of sample work of the provider.

plumbermelbourne.net/

gene in Rockford, Illinois

58 months ago

Mike the plumber in Shoemakersville, Pennsylvania said: Hey, i've been a plumber now for about 13 years i started out at 8 bucks an hour i'm now making $70,000 a year and climbing so whoever thinks we make 35,000 a year is completley wrong thats a starting out wage (Get it right people)!

I second that. The money is great if the companies can keep you busy. Work has slowed down considerably. It seems that work slows down to a crawl in December then you get laid off till around May when work picks back up again. Hell with this economy the way it is you could be off longer. Unemployment only lasts so long. If there wasn't any nuke plant outages to travel to and go in as a fitter instead as a plumber, more people would still not be working. And the 16 hour days suck when you spend 14 hours not working. And don't get caught standing around. Not all days are like that but the majority are. Hopefully this economy will turn around and more buildings will be built to work on so more than 2 guys from a shop can work on them.

Jim in 2 hours south of Chicago, IL in Lexington, Illinois

58 months ago

Been laid off since December of 2008. This economy is hurting the trades badly.

Can't complain too much, unemployment has been great and gets us by.

Pre-economy crash I made 70k+ a year working 40 hours a week. I'm a journeyman plumber. Union is the way to go. I work near the City and suburbs, but make the hour drive south for a bit cheaper and quieter living. The non union companies around here pay 15 bucks an hour, if you're luckly. I made close to 40 bucks an hour a year ago, not to mention the health and pension benefits on top of that.

Marco in Helsinki, Finland

58 months ago

Hello PLUMBERS! I just wanna thank you all back in the States! Thanks for teaching me the trade! (i later on thought others too) I had a truly great American Experience in 8 different States,(17yrs) to some States i ended up moving again and again! In all, i ended up getting a grand total of 5 Journeyman plumber licences! Heh,REALLY!! Yo,dudes i'm forever so thankful to you all,that i can't even put it in writing! And best of all besides meeting a bunch of genuine, original plumbers, i had the oppertunity to live "From Sea To Shining Sea" Marco

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dakota in Seattle, Washington

57 months ago

I live in Seattle and make 70,000 yr average. I work in service and love it. I have friends with 4yr degrees making half that. non-union, commercial journeyman, WETRC backflow certified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Dakota in Seattle, Washington said: I live in Seattle and make 70,000 yr average. I work in service and love it. I have friends with 4yr degrees making half that. non-union, commercial journeyman, WETRC backflow certified.

Usually if your in service for a company your job is pretty much safe.

D in Lewiston, Idaho

57 months ago

I've never been laid off in service and make really good money doing it year-round

adrian in Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom

57 months ago

Intressting reading everyones comments last year i made 70k sterling on new build housing doing a 38 hour week.With the housing market collapsing i:ve been jobbing around the houses but have made half the money.Thinking of emigrating any where plumbers;heating installers;solar installers can make a good living?
Adrian

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dussander in Reading, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

soapboxer in National City, California said: I had to walk out of the last company for paying me 8$ for installing a 40 gal waterheater. yeah it only took me an hour but just because im skilled enough to do that doesnt mean i should be payed less.Everyone else can stay there and do what I refuse to. Stay away from comission companies they are ruining the trade stealing from customers and taking advantage of skilled craftsmen during hard times.

For real. I just got canned by a dishonest guy at a place that is commission. I got canned for questioning his dishonest tactics and because I wouldnt play along with his illegal activities. I'm really discouraged. I have a college degree and went into this to escape that kind of crap. I actually don't mind hard work. I just like being able to sleep at night. The experience was awful. Debating going back into professional world or stick it out and try to get picked up by little guy. Sucks too because I'd be great find for a small business. Not really interested in going out on my own, so they wouldnt have to worry about me leaving in 3 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Dussander in Reading, Pennsylvania said: For real. I just got canned by a dishonest guy at a place that is commission. I got canned for questioning his dishonest tactics and because I wouldnt play along with his illegal activities. I'm really discouraged. I have a college degree and went into this to escape that kind of crap. I actually don't mind hard work. I just like being able to sleep at night. The experience was awful. Debating going back into professional world or stick it out and try to get picked up by little guy. Sucks too because I'd be great find for a small business. Not really interested in going out on my own, so they wouldnt have to worry about me leaving in 3 years.
That's what being in a union is all about. They stick up for your rights against the common crooks like that. They make sure you get paid correctly and no low ball practices. The only problem is theres not alot of work for everyone out there to stay busy all year long especially now. If you can weld and wan't to travel you can get somewhat work but thats slow also. Hopefully it'll pick up soon.

joe in Buffalo, New York

56 months ago

gene in Rockford, Illinois said: That's what being in a union is all about. They stick up for your rights against the common crooks like that. They make sure you get paid correctly and no low ball practices. The only problem is theres not alot of work for everyone out there to stay busy all year long especially now. If you can weld and wan't to travel you can get somewhat work but thats slow also. Hopefully it'll pick up soon.[/QI

I have question, I have done the application, test and interview. I received my ranking for union plumbing and I came in number 8. There's not allot of information out there but how can I judge if I will be starting a new career any time soon?

Tony in Portland, Oregon

56 months ago

ive worked in the plumbing trade for about 15 yrs from sewer mains to sevice.i was also field manager in AZ for 4 yrs.but never took the test.will all this expirence count for my apprenticeship in Oregon??or do i have to start a new one??

Master of 3 in Ballwin, Missouri

56 months ago

It should count dependant if you can get your W-2's & your Ex employer to verify your work history/experience. Provide the info to the Oregan Board of Plumbers & ask for reciprocisty or for them to reciprocate your time & to apply it to your time for the Journeyman test...

bob in Seattle, Washington

56 months ago

Tony your going to find it difficult to be a plumber in oregon....I am originaly from mesa and I never ended up gettting working as a plumber in oregon....first off oregon does not reconize arizona as a equivailent...oregon also makes if very dificult to become a journeyman....you need to document every aspect of your career from soldering potable to DWV to finish also they require class time 500ish hours talk to them in salem they will send you the packet...also the test is a tow part test one written one hand on.....your best bet is to just start over as a first year apperentice but good luck finding a job.....you could always get certified in washington but the work stillhard to find in your area...thats why I moved north

Marco-Ray in Oulu, Finland

56 months ago

Yeah,it's not easy to get that Journeyman's licence! I lived in Mesa,Portland and Seattle and some other States as well, and i got that lic. from all those areas,only in Oregon i didn't need to take a test (i would have if needed) because i had passed the WA test! (recipicol) if you know the UPC it's easier to pass the test in any State that uses UPC, in Oregon they have their own ammedments too that can be studied quite fast,and for a plumber it's easy to learn more because it makes sense and you can understand why the code is what it is (the reason for it!) I had the greatest times working as a plumber all over America, and i met real good plumbers in all States! (i miss UPC and could talk hours about it......hahahahhaahah!! Vertical wet venting etc!! HEH!)

56 months ago

MARCO-RAY oregon shut down the recipical program with washington about 8 years ago......you now need to have 500 hours of class time along with documented hours totaling more than 8000in a state that is reconized as equivilent and even then they want you to catorgorize specific tasks and those have minimum hours that need to met.....its a major PAIN unless you have gone through the oregon JATC program...its oregons attempt to keep oregon work for oregon workers

Marco-Ray in Kouvola, Finland

56 months ago

Hi Bob! I had no idea they had done that, at the time i had it, i just had to take some cont.educ.classes (i think min.16h/2yrs?) and that time also Idaho and maybe Montana were part of the recipical agreement! 500h........??!!!!!!!!! Hahahahaha.....classes?? Uh,uh!! That's crazy! Btw,my OR lic.even got a color photo on it.....sometimes some guy,insp. or complience guy even came asking to see licences from guys at work! But,dude i had some great times in life doing plumbing in America that are priceless and i'll never forget 'em or that UPC....HAHAHAHAHA...!!
P.S. Seriously, great code!

56 months ago

yes marco they have changed alot to keep out of state plumbers from entering the work force......idaho and montana are still good not sure what it takes to get a montana license but you need to actually plumb a commercial building and have it inspected in idaho.....its alos a big money maker for oregon building depart to bust unlic. plumbers its $1500 to the worker and $1500 to the company and it doubles per occurance.......I love the UPC code as well what code are you using in finland the IPC? UPC code was written by plumbers and the IPC code was written by contractors

Marco-Ray in Klaukkala, Finland

56 months ago

Yeah,you right! UPC vs IPC, i also lived in Tampa Bay,FLA and i got a lic.from there too (here or in Europe in general i'm not exactly sure what it's based on?) in FL we got IPC (dwv, a lot less vents) so it's cheaper and faster (contarctors!) I used to be a member of IAPMO so yeah, plumbers!! I LOVED doing plumbing in Florida too, i'd vote for UPC any day, but any code anywhere in the States......to do plumbing is just great! Also, for those out there who are planning on taking a journeyman's test based on UPC, the BEST BOOK for you to study: UPC ILLUSTRATED MANUAL!!! Also get that PRACTICE TEST booklet, you can order them straight from IAPMO (International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials!) and you should join IAPMO also, so you'll get that magazine delivered to you and can read about plumbing stuff!! After you do all that, you may be called as A WALKING CODE BOOK.....HAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAH...............!! Seriously, do that and you got a great chance of passing the test, and that joke a walking.....that's a compliment!!

Ray in Helsinki, Finland

55 months ago

For you guys who think about starting a career as a plumber, don't think your pay's not enough at the begining (up to 4 years), think of that as been paid for learning and don't listen to all those talkers who like to tell you that they made that and that much money, if they did they'd be making it now, it's always "then i made" Kind a like "my bench-press used to be that much" It only matters what it is today, you live TODAY not yesterday! I used to love plumbing in the States.........("i used to") I still live in yesterday...hahahhahah.....??!! Got it? What a true wonderland from Sea To Shining Sea! Keep plumbing boys and make your mama proud....heh! I wish you all those great busy times that i had the oppertuinity and honor to experience while living 4 times in Las Vegas and elsewhere in America!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

pipeman2929

53 months ago

i have been a union plumber for 16yrs in calif. we are the highest paid in the plumbing trade in the u.s. i will say your crazy if you think your getting 2.2 million. how is it every union member is losing their ass in the stock market right now. 20yr memebers losing up to 100k. they put the max into their pensions and dont get that kind of money. lmao where did you get your numbers.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.