Getting a juvenile detention officer job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

How did you get your start doing juvenile detention officer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Saint Louis, Missouri

80 months ago

what education background do you need to become a juvenile detention officer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Saint Louis, Missouri

80 months ago

What college classes do you need to take?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Verna Sutton-Hodge in Rahway, New Jersey

65 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing juvenile detention officer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I am looking for answers on becoming a juvenile detention officer, do you have any advice for me being a women is it harder?

page57@comcast.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

todd in Swannanoa, North Carolina

53 months ago

Getting a juvenile detention (or YDC / Training School, ect.) job will vary depending on the state that you live in. Some things that might help you get in. Veteran's preference. (Honorbly discharged from the military or currently part of the National guard) Experience working with youth (preferbly doing something involving counseling) Experience working in a position that involves safety and or sercurity or law enforcement.

Most states where I have looked require at least a 2 or 4 year degree, though some will accept a high school / GED if you have working experience. You should have a clean criminal record as you are going to have to pass a background check.

Degress you might want to consider are Human Services, Social Work, Criminal Justice, or psychology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.