Tips / Advice for Juvenile Probation Officer Position?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Jasko in Pompano Beach, Florida

74 months ago

so I got hired through the Broward County Juvenile Justice Department (South Florida) as a Juvenile Probation Officer. My first day is on Friday. I was wondering what to expect out of this job? Does anyone else have this position or know anyone who does?

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew if they are permitted to carry a weapon or pepper spray or anything like that? The only thing that worries me is the part about going to these kids homes.

In addition, I was wondering if I were responsible for driving these kids around? When I went in for the interview, they gave me a questionnaire that asked if I minded if these kids were in my car... they didn't really expand on that topic too much and I was so nervous during the interview that I forgot to ask.

I am a tad bit nervous because this is my first "real" job so any tips or advice would be helpful!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

fdae in Bowling Green, Ohio

74 months ago

dfd

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jgabaris in Boca Raton, Florida

61 months ago

I applied for the same position as you and never heard a thing... I have now applied for Palm Beach County and I wanted to know if you had any tips... Did you simply submit the application and that was it? It seems like every time I try to call and check on my application I get a not-so helpful clerk that does not give me much info... Do you have any tips? And what makes them hire one person and not another??
I have a BA in psych...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

keepeace in Avondale, Arizona

52 months ago

wtf dude are u slow or something there kids not crooks so dont treat em like their crooks.. ok there bad as hell but really needing a weapon is riduculous.. and if u fu** wit em or treat em like there some kinda blemish on society the harder it is going to be on your part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

iHeartCWU in Ellensburg, Washington

51 months ago

You know what sucks the most about this.. is I am actually going to school (yes to a BA) so I can be a juvenile probation officer, I spend 4-8 hours a day going over what to do and theories that can aid you in the position, and this guy doesn't even have a clue. They aren't criminals and they have found that juveniles respond well to rehabilitative services which could help with the recidivism rates. Too bad they didn't hire someone for the job. Juvenile corrections rarely carry weapons, but in some jurisdictions they do, mostly though adult probation is armed. And they would inform you of that upon hiring. Not to mention, yes they will be in your vehicle. You will sometimes have to transport them, especially to court hearings and to make sure they are attending school. Its not a cake walk job, and I am almost disgusted that they hired someone so blind to this position. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jasko in Lehigh Acres, Florida

51 months ago

Anything else? I've been at this job now coming up on two years. Thanks for all the lame replies. Losers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

me2010 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

51 months ago

Very mature response. And you have been a probation officer for almost two years now? Hopefully you are more professional in your job.

Jasko in Lehigh Acres, Florida said: Anything else? I've been at this job now coming up on two years. Thanks for all the lame replies. Losers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eric in Miami, Florida

48 months ago

Jasko in Lehigh Acres, Florida said: Anything else? I've been at this job now coming up on two years. Thanks for all the lame replies. Losers.

Wait, what's the answer? The same position just opened up in Dade County? Armed or unarmed? Concealed Carry? Etc?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jaxbeachgal in Jacksonville, Florida

47 months ago

I am hoping to one day become a juvenile probation officer. Currently, I only have my associates degree. Is there anything that I can do in this profession with an associates? I would like to work while I earn my bachelors. Looking forward to hearing any suggestions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

todd in Swannanoa, North Carolina

46 months ago

You probably will qualify to work in a Juvenile Detention Center with an assosiates. Be sure to check the hireing requirements in your state, if an assosiates doesnt qualify you you can check into other states as they vary depending on location. Working here would give you some direct experience working with the population as well as learning about your states Juvenile System.

Other things you can consider, volunteering working with youth, finding any position that you can that might involve saftey and security work. Postions involving counseling skills would be good as well.

Most important, go for your BA. Most places I have looked into require 4 year degrees for JPO's. When in school, you probably can look into internship positions at a local JPO office. While unpaid it will give you good experience in this field.

I am not sure about Florida, but I have seen the following Fields of study being listed for JPO position postings. Human Services, Criminal Justice, Social Work, Physcology, Counseling, ect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Taunton, Massachusetts

45 months ago

I want to hear from Jasko. Do you like the job? What are some of the best/worst things about it? Would you recommend it to others? What's a typical day like? What's the salary like? I am interested in becoming a JPO. I have a B.S. in Psych and I'm preparing to apply for a few position openings. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully you can be more helpful to me than these other people were towards you. Please answer all questions if you can, it would be extremely helpful to a future JPO!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.