Getting a kitchen designer job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

How did you get your start doing kitchen designer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Lisa Green, CKD in Chicago, Illinois

90 months ago

I started as a receptionist for a kitchen design firm. I taught myself how to use 20/20, a design software program, and had the opportunity to begin designing. THEN... I entered university and completed a 5 year program in interior design... THEN I took my CKD exam. It was a lot of work, and lot of time, and a lot of money, but that's what it takes to become a professional kitchen design.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ilene in Northbrook, Illinois

90 months ago

do you know if anyone teaches 20 20?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vore in Great Neck, New York

88 months ago

Go to the 20-20 website to find course info. Most dealers have the software and will train you if your bright and "catch on " quickly.

It's a great program but try not to use it for actual drawings you would submit to your project manager. Learn to hand draw your kitchen and baths if you can. It's more hands on and actual dimensions need to be worked out. The 20-20 software throws every dimension conceivable on the drawings making them impractical for job site documents.

The renderings are the thing that sell the job so learn to tweak the software for maximum effect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Agnes in Flushing, New York

81 months ago

Ilene in Northbrook, Illinois said: do you know if anyone teaches 20 20?

The best way to learn this software is by practice. Start with the 20 20 manual and design the sample kitchen step by step, then, immediately after, do a design you are familiar with (repeat your hand drawn, completed kitche, for example). 20 20 is not a user friendly program, but you will catch on very quickly by doing. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in Long Beach, California

74 months ago

The 20/20 program is a great program but it doesn't do the designing for you. You still have to know how to design a kitchen. As far as the 20/20 program showing the dimensions on drawings, you can change the settings to show only the dimensions you want to appear on your drawings. If you use the default settings then you will see every conceivable dimension there is and it becomes confusing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

enginvurgun@hotmail.co.uk in Mersin, Turkey

69 months ago

? need job th?s job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RRussell in Des Moines, Iowa

2 months ago

Vore in Great Neck, New York said: Go to the 20-20 website to find course info. Most dealers have the software and will train you if your bright and "catch on " quickly.

It's a great program but try not to use it for actual drawings you would submit to your project manager. Learn to hand draw your kitchen and baths if you can. It's more hands on and actual dimensions need to be worked out. The 20-20 software throws every dimension conceivable on the drawings making them impractical for job site documents.

The renderings are the thing that sell the job so learn to tweak the software for maximum effect.

Dimensions can be clicked on or off, depending on what you want to dimension. cabinets, appliances, obstacles, user dimensions and possible others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.