What are typical lab assistant salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

TwentyFourSeven in Oakland, California

68 months ago

Rate of pay is dependent on where you live, type of lab, and lab setting. Entry level clinical lab assistants placed in hospital settings are paid higher in the bay area. Rate of pay starts around $20/hour at some hospitals. The only opportunities for salary increase is experience and education. Lab assistants who want to excel in the field usually get their MLT(Medical Lab Technician) certification which entails an AA as the first step. Those who move furthur beyond obtain their CLS license (Clinical Laboratory Science.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

propi in Bellville, South Africa

65 months ago

R2000.00 p/m

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Donna DeSalvo in Gretna, Louisiana

40 months ago

This is not true,you might make 15.00 but they are not paying 30.00 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

not true,maybe half that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Donna DeSalvo in Gretna, Louisiana said: not true,maybe half that.

this is true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LaKE in Seattle, Washington

36 months ago

I am a Sr lab assistant at a unionized clinical lab and I earn 22.10/hr base wages at the step level 18. Additionally I am compensated 2.50/hr night-shift differential. I have worked for this company 14 years and started at step level 5 due to previous experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

LaKE in Seattle, Washington

36 months ago

Clinical Lab assistants do a variety of what's called "pre-analytical" functions. Some examples are venipuncture, receiving and labeling specimens, verifying test orders, entering patient and test information into database, keeping track of lab supply inventory, preparing specimens in various ways. This could include inoculating and streaking out culture dishes, separating serum from blood samples, preparing slides and other duties. Lab assistants also perform some lesser complexity testing as allowed by regulations. They usually work in support of medical technologists or MLT's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.