Finding Jobs That Will Hire People With a Felony.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (701 to 750 of 1357)
Page:  « First « Previous   12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next »   Last »

Penny in Chattanooga, Tennessee

75 months ago

Well with re=entry programs they have a staffing agency that will help you get a job because they know employers who hire felons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Portland, Oregon

75 months ago

You have to be very careful in wording your advertisements (if you have any) to not disclose too much, but make it clear that you are available for hire. Dudes are spamming craigslist like crazy so it is not as good as it was a few months ago. I think the more successful guys are putting up flyers and cards around for labor and handyman work.

You can get work in the outlying areas if you have transportation which is the really big issue. I hire guys from craigslist from time to time and the big deal is a whole bunch don't have transportation. In fact, a bunch are absolute basket cases when it comes to actually making it to work and have to practically be picked up and dropped off in order for it to happen. If you have transportation and can show up, and demonstrate that fact, people should not BS you about being worth at least $10 per hour, but a lot of employers get jaded when they see people asking for work, then simply not following through and showing up.

Alex in Portland, Oregon

75 months ago

Penny in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: Well with re=entry programs they have a staffing agency that will help you get a job because they know employers who hire felons.

Translation: They keep secret lists of companies that maybe hire felons, and the referrals are not made until the felon is in the "right frame of mind" to accept employment in the standard of living that puts them on the very bottom end of the working class, maybe, but often taking advantage of the fact that at least a lot of the guys fully understand how to snitch anything and everything (co-supervision) and got in decent shape in prison (can perform hard labor). IE, minimum wage box-tossers at the warehouses and sorting junk at goodwill.

casarioman in Logan, Utah

75 months ago

Ducks Quack - Eagles Soar No one can make you serve customers well....that's because great service is a choice. Harvey Mackay, tells a wonderful story about a cab driver that proved this point.
He was waiting in line for a ride at the airport. When a cab pulled up, the first thing Harvey noticed was that the taxi was polished to a bright shine. Smartly dressed in a white shirt, black tie, and freshly pressed black slacks, the cab driver jumped out and rounded the car to open the back passenger door for Harvey .
He handed my friend a laminated card and said: 'I'm Wally, your driver. While I'm loading your bags in the trunk I'd like you to read my mission statement.
Taken aback, Harvey read the card.. It said: Wally's Mission Statement: To get my customers to their destination in the quickest, safest and cheapest way possible in a friendly environment...
This blew Harvey away. Especially when he noticed that the inside of the cab matched the outside. Spotlessly clean!
As he slid behind the wheel, Wally said, 'Would you like a cup of coffee? I have a thermos of regular and one of decaf.' My friend said jokingly, 'No, I'd prefer a soft drink.' Wally smiled and said, 'No problem. I have a cooler up front with regular and Diet Coke, water and orange juice...' Almost stuttering, Harvey said, 'I'll take a Diet Coke.'
Handing him his drink, Wally said, 'If you'd like something to read, I have The Wall Street Journal, Time, Sports Illustrated and USA Today.'
As they were pulling away, Wally handed my friend another laminated card, 'These are the stations I get and the music they play, if you'd like to listen to the radio.'
Wally the Cab Driver made a different choice. He decided to stop quacking like ducks and start soaring like eagles.
How about us? Smile, and the whole world smiles with you... The ball is in our hands! A man reaps what he sows. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

casarioman in Logan, Utah

75 months ago

May this lift you all up with your endeavorer of looking for work...

Eric in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey

75 months ago

I answer questions for ex-offenders and felons looking for jobs at my blog: jailtojob.com/wordpress

Alex in Portland, Oregon

75 months ago

Maybe we could reduce the amount of absurdly intangible metaphors when giving or asking "advice" on finding labor jobs. "Quacking or soaring" whatever man. Does this relate to contacts with anyone in a particular area who is hiring? Any place to post job ads? Any decently accessible self employment options in any particular areas?

I can give some advice on over-entertaining clients when your actual take-home money is based on something happening in a particular time frame. You can end up with clients who will take up a lot of that extra entertainment effort and you are not making the extra money, so balancing efficiency with hospitality is one of those arts you do in customer service. As for labor work, well, that's another story. It can help to get popular with the bosses and managers so you are thought of well. Being nice to them when they are good to you, and note, I said nice when good. If you have been around the block a bit, you figure out the difference between someone being good with you vs being nice but stabbing you in the back. Another biggie is where you socialize, and in places you socialize, don't be afraid to hit people up for connections to paid work or whatever you are trying to get done. If the people don't come up with something, they are just sucking your efforts down and not helping to accomplish what you need accomplished.

One less on I learned years ago and still apply today is being equipped to do the work. More in the next post on that.

Alex in Portland, Oregon

75 months ago

Being equipped to do the work, that's a little trick I learned years ago. I did not intend for a career as a "laborer" in fact, I was really looking for a career in law enforcement, but the security jobs I got were irregular and often low pay, so I branched out. I owned a pickup truck and was in decent shape, so I went to work for a tree service company which generally worked high end neighborhoods. That meant lots of time feeding tree branches to a chipper, running a chainsaw and some tough labor tossing logs around. I was working with some really strong dudes, some not that big looking, but the could lift heavy stuff and a lot of it. Me, well after an hour or so of tossing logs I would slow down a bit. Then there was feeding a big chipper on a trailer, and knowing knotwork and doing it quickly to help the climbers who would be up in the tree and need guys on the ground working ropes to bring big tree parts down under control and gently.

So I was one of the four lower guys in the crew, and getting toward the end of the season, the boss starts giving days off, and those days off start happening frequently enough I figured out that someone was going to get cut soon. Of the four guys there, I was probably number three or four as a worker, but the top guy would get high and just not show up from time to time, second from the top guy was doing a lot of independent work so not always showing up. Next guy up, it was him or me. Big difference, when he got a paycheck, he bought stuff like clothes, or stereo stuff for his sports car. When I got a paycheck, I got tools. One bonus check I got, I bought a chainsaw of my own, bigger than the little one I already had, but having two chainsaws - that meant if the boss needed someone on one jobsite to tidy things up there I was with my saws and a truck, 85 percentile worker or not. Dudes who were better workers, but no tools, and driving cars instead of a truck, when time came to cut people..

Alex in Portland, Oregon

75 months ago

so dudes who were better workers than me got cut. Either because they were not regularly showing up, or were simply too dependent on the owner of the business having invested in everything they needed to work, instead of really investing in their own ability to get stuff done. I still see that thing going on now. Now a lot of people have tools but one recent sideline I got into was mobile welding and metal fab. I use an inexpensive wire feed welder (plugs into 110v outlet) and some basic grinders and wire brush tools (entire outfit can be replaced for around $300 at Harbor Freight, although some of my old stuff was expensive when it was new).

Getting out of prison, I was blessed enough to have good credit (I paid off my debts right after getting arrested so the feds would have no bank account money to seize). I got a van and then went to my parents house to scavenge up what tools I could take, and called in on a favor to get my hand truck back from a guy I had loaned it to before I got busted. I invested in a few other business ventures which turned to be a waste, and wish I had just put that money into tools and equipment. So much labor related stuff is actually pretty straightforward, but requires tools that not everyone has. Now, I head out to Harbor Freight every time I get extra cash of $50 or more and get more stuff which makes me that much more employable in the little day labor jobs I get privately (day labor agencies being worth about crap). All of that stuff except maybe a couple of the tools have paid for themselves. a couple of biggies are my hand truck and furniture dolly, and I think I will be updating those in the next month. I bought shovels and big brooms in the last year, all paid for themselves. There are some poor ex-con types hiking around this neighborhood with lawnmowers, they probably don't make much of a living at it, but they make something and at least it is cash which does not threaten their public benefits.

T in Tampa, Florida

75 months ago

I know this is over 2 years old but in response to the ends justify the means: Most felons probably believed that while they were doing whatever they did to become a felon. look where it got you. Im a strong believer in honesty and trust. Networking is a great start to job hunting. yes, you may have a background, but if someone has gotten the chance to really know you they might be more inclined to give you that chance. start with your church and volunteering. nd why would anyone who has been in trouble think that once you've done your time/service you are free or without debt. its kind of a conspiracy. I also believe if you've done something before, you can be forgiven but the fact that you did it means that your capable and if its 5 or 50 yrs later it could happen again. ive felt like acting out plenty of times and even thought of crazy things like poisoning ppl, but i don't because i think rationally and fear persecution for the rest of my life. its like a murderer, would you be so inclined to give them a second chance just cause they didn't give a "f" at the time.
All that i have said doesn't include the extremely mentally handicap (like brain tumors), justified self defense, and protection.

Alex in Portland, Oregon

75 months ago

We can get into rhetorical absurdity all day long but the fact of the matter is, the record is what carries the stigma, along with the signs of someone having been in an institution at some point in their life. So many people boast about having broken laws and gotten away with them, and it is good for a laugh during a round of drinks at the club.

I did not spend a whole lot of time in jail or prison, but I saw enough sick sociopaths in government uniform in those places to know that there is no such thing as justice when it comes to what is done to people. Sure, lots of people who deserve to do time actually do time, but those who are actually trying to work productively should not be punished just because those who are getting away with something are not caught.

Beachy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

I haven't checked my yahoo email until today. I saw your reply - I was taken by your comment. Good Luck...I truly hope it does get better for you. I live a nightmare daily.
Hang in there.
NMB

74 months ago

I was 'taken' by your response to Katie....God Bless*

74 months ago

I was 'taken' by your response to Katie....God Bless*

74 months ago

Hey - I came across your response and i am Praying for you. It is not fair that anyone is punished AGAIN for a crime. I live everyday scared and not sure what the future will bring. But I do know, with support (me, others...) you can not give up! Please stay strong and healthy...
Faith, Hope and Love
NMB

74 months ago

Tippy,
Hang in there. I wish you all the best...The Lord...yes - pray and know there will wlays be; Faith, Hope and Love...
NMB

74 months ago

Hey Penny,
I am Pittsburgh - and reentry info. you can share for someone in my area?
Thanks!
NMB

74 months ago

You need to hire a nurse for him. His medicaid should pay.

74 months ago

Beachy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Hey - I came across your response and i am Praying for you. It is not fair that anyone is punished AGAIN for a crime. I live everyday scared and not sure what the future will bring. But I do know, with support (me, others...) you can not give up! Please stay strong and healthy...
Faith, Hope and Love
NMB

Church's are great places to find great people who are willing to help out ex offenders.

dave mo in White Plains, New York

74 months ago

THANK YOU.
Yes I always keep praying to the lord.I am alone right now no family..But, I know he is there witching me,looking over me. I sleep in Kinko's I have no choice I'm homeless. I'm almost a junior in collage second engineering degree. I did this in Kinko's three hours sleep everyday..one mistake i did it almost destroyed my life.i almost passed way 1/2 years ago stomach ulcers almost bed to death.
my record is clean except for this i don't understand...i have no money,i eat in a soup kitchen..i don't complain, we have to eat that's all that matters.i have a 16 year old daughter i miss so much, i haven't seen her in close to a 2 years,i miss her so much typing this beings tears to my eyes, shes my everything, my world.I raised her for almost seven years being a single male parent.woman where amazed at what i done. i know what i did was wrong..i thank all of you guys who responded to my post thank you it helps to have somebody who lends a ear. thank you and bless you ....To my daughter Tiphany,,there's not a day that goes by that i don't think about you.. daddy loves you and misses you..your in daddy's heart always.

Alex in Portland, Oregon

74 months ago

dave mo in White Plains, New York said: THANK YOU.
Yes I always keep praying to the lord.I am alone right now no family..But, I know he is there witching me,looking over me. I sleep in Kinko's I have no choice I'm homeless. I'm almost a junior in collage second engineering degree. I did this in Kinko's three hours sleep everyday..one mistake i did it almost destroyed my life.i almost passed way 1/2 years ago stomach ulcers almost bed to death.
my record is clean except for this i don't understand...i have no money,i eat in a soup kitchen..i don't complain, we have to eat that's all that matters.i have a 16 year old daughter i miss so much, i haven't seen her in close to a 2 years,i miss her so much typing this beings tears to my eyes, shes my everything, my world.I raised her for almost seven years being a single male parent.woman where amazed at what i done. i know what i did was wrong..i thank all of you guys who responded to my post thank you it helps to have somebody who lends a ear. thank you and bless you ....To my daughter Tiphany,,there's not a day that goes by that i don't think about you.. daddy loves you and misses you..your in daddy's heart always.

Dude that's rough. I don't know what your record is for, but for someone to keep punishing you is just plain evil. I guess I have to count myself fortunate that I had some resources left over after I got out of prison, namely a bunch of paid-off credit cards with zero balances, so that is practically what I lived on for two years since I made less than $10K per year. It amazes me the mentality so many people have that makes them want to keep punishing people over and over for having a record.

There are people who want to help. I volunteered yesterday morning for a semi-permanent homeless camp here in Portland, and then God blessed me with a few calls from my "laborer with tools ad" so I can probably make rent this month only being a little late without being very late.

Badseedz in Winter Park, Florida

74 months ago

Good information in Winterville, Georgia said: Thanks for the info. I will never spend another dime at Denny's. I sure don't want a criminal cooking my food.

Please let us all know if you folks get jobs at other businesses so we can avoid those as well.

why are you on here if u going to disrespecting the people that need help the most? Your A Piece Of Sh*t.

74 months ago

I have a d felony non-violent. My lawyer told me it should of dropped to a misdemeanor..my lawyer was a good legal aid but they changed her gave me one that didn't care ..just a number..my record is clean is just this, I have nothing except this on my record..I don't understand, i have a degree in engineering(industrial electronics) in school now going to be a junior, second degree, (devry university)BS in engineering(electronics robotics) and going into masters program in electrical engineering.Right now I'm homeless, i sleep in Kinko's 24 hour computer center,going to school 3 hours sleep everyday,i don't believe I'm going to be a junior getting three hours sleep,"but", god is good,he is always there when you lease expected it. I live day by day,I eat in a soup kitchen that holds me for that day..you know i am thankful to god you have to be..I almost passed away a year and a half ago(stress stomach ulcers)almost bled to death. god is good he left me here for a reason. i have a 16 year old daughter which is my heart,,i haven't seen her in close to 2 years.I miss her so much, there's not a second in time that i don't think about her..I raised her for 6 years by myself.Do to the situation she went to her mother.
What i hope for,is for the lord to bless me with a job, finish school, an apartment and most "important" to see my daughter.Just hoping to work get back to the professional sector..Get my life back make it better with gods help.ITS NOT EASY being out here..But, you have to keep praying. this is my first,,NEVER BEEN ARRESTED in 20 years FOR ANYTHING , EXCEPT FOR THIS..ONE DOT ON MY RECORD, EXCEPT FOR THIS MY RECORD IS CLEAN.I'm trying, hoping,god forgive me.. I thank you guys..for hearing me my story and pray for every single one of you, thank you. TIPHANY MY DAUGHTER, I LOVE YOU ..FROM DADDY. MAY THE LORD BE WITH YOU GUYS ALWAYS..BLESS.

trash trashisfree in Denver, Colorado

74 months ago

Dave Mo

Stop. The only person who is going to save you, is you.

How do you have so much education and totally fail to use it? I would start with every electronics repair place in the city. Make yourself useful, valuable and the most important repair person in whatever shop you end up in.

From there bootstrap yourself into an apartment, and then start doing some repair business on the side.

Auto electric, debugging house hold electric, high end audio and television installs, audio and music gear repair, computer repair, there are a zillion possibilities. Find yourself a nitch, or several.

It saddens me how someone with real skills fails to capitalize on them. Even without an apartment, gather the tools you need and start doing something.

I don't want to see you homeless. Your daughter does need you. But really it is up to YOU.

I am a survivor, and really it is up to me. Nobody is going to pay my bills for me or keep a roof over my head but me. I work whenever I can, for far more than minimum wage. I have made myself very useful for a number of people.

74 months ago

Thank you for your advice, yes your right, I'm actually an electronics engineer, and I don't blame nobody but myself.. I tried and done what you mention..Where i live is sub's part of town..I'm trying to do private sector in engineering as a systems engineer or in the private section in transportation engineering for the county."yes"...I doing that already and its hard living day to day..I'm focusing on getting back to the professional sector..And the jobs know i have a clean record "except" for one non-felony charge(low scale- legal aid lawyer explain to me that it should had been a misdemeanor charge).Trash, this is my first time being arrested for anything never been arrested!.This is new to me, I'm alone out here doing what i have to do, homeless, living day to day.so I hope know understand what I'm saying..I know something is going to brake..I thank you guys for the support you have given me,,thank you and bless you..your right its up to me..yes i know that..my focus is to finish school,job,apartment and reconnect with my daughter, that's my focus.This is new to me!!i have excepted what i did it almost killed me, almost passed away (stomach ulcers)almost bled to death...I must say god is good he is there when you need him not when you want him.I see he steps in when it is necessary, he takes over.I leave it in his hands and pray..Once again, thank you Trach, for your advice and may god be with you.

Kathyd in Dallas, Texas

74 months ago

Good information in Winterville, Georgia said: Thanks for the info. I will never spend another dime at Denny's. I sure don't want a criminal cooking my food.

Please let us all know if you folks get jobs at other businesses so we can avoid those as well.

ACCORDING TO THE WORD OF GOD LUKE 6:37 JUDGE NOT AND YE SHALL NOT BE JUDGED: CONDEMN NOT, AND YE SHALL NOT BE COMDEMNED: FORGIVE AND YE SHALL NOT BE FORGIVEN.
THIS NOT DEBATABLE
HAVE A NICE LIFE

Frank in Jeffersonville, In in Indianapolis, Indiana

74 months ago

Thanks Tasha in Lansing,Mi I couldn't have said that to that ignorant gentleman any better than you so eloquently stated. Keep doing exactly what your doing, and just maybe we'll get our point across.

Jenny78 in Toledo, Ohio

74 months ago

Everyone makes mistakes jerk. At least this person was able to get out there and find a job. Get over it...you're life is NOT perfect by far I am sure.

solid in Orem, Utah

74 months ago

You seem as though you are trying to shame people who are trying to make a living.

john doe in New York, New York

74 months ago

send any and infromation

john doe in New York, New York

74 months ago

need help to find job after losing job because a back round check- what can i do in the future to keep job

its a gamble to get hired!

74 months ago

We need to write our congressmen and women as well as thr president. How do they expect use to be productive?

Alex in Portland, Oregon

74 months ago

solid in Orem, Utah said: You seem as though you are trying to shame people who are trying to make a living.

Of course he is, he is an agent of the system. The same breed inhabit nearly every "program" and place where ex-convicts are either sent to or gather on their own when trying to transition to an honest life. The only "honest" life his breed want you to have is one of honest dire poverty, so that you only need to be watched long enough before the poverty, need, mistreatment, labeling and stigma of being a "criminal" click that logic circuit in your head which makes you say "screw it, I will break this law and feed myself", then his breed can swoop in and arrest or kill you and then go have a beer to celebrate it.

Then it gets amazing how many of the "right wing" people who hate the "welfare class" are in fact lazy good for nothing cruel and greedy government employees who quite commonly never had to make a real living for themselves and pay regular taxes from an open economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Portland, Oregon

74 months ago

solid in Orem, Utah said: You seem as though you are trying to shame people who are trying to make a living.

Of course he is, he is an agent of the system. The same breed inhabit nearly every "program" and place where ex-convicts are either sent to or gather on their own when trying to transition to an honest life. The only "honest" life his breed want you to have is one of honest dire poverty, so that you only need to be watched long enough before the poverty, need, mistreatment, labeling and stigma of being a "criminal" click that logic circuit in your head which makes you say "screw it, I will break this law and feed myself", then his breed can swoop in and arrest or kill you and then go have a beer to celebrate it.

Then it gets amazing how many of the "right wing" people who hate the "welfare class" are in fact lazy good for nothing cruel and greedy government employees who quite commonly never had to make a real living for themselves and pay regular taxes from an open economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Portland, Oregon

74 months ago

You know, what is amazing is all of the people I had applied for jobs with over the last several months never called me back for regular employment, but I got some connections privately for cash work due to finally developing a decent reputation for showing up smelling good and not being a drunk rude misfit like a lot of people out there on the lower rungs of the ladder. I am averaging $200 per weekend as a project helper with tools and it is fairly basic stuff, while the temp agencies who said they would "put me on the list" just don't call. Nearly everyone I work for knows I am now a felon and did time, but the appreciate the fact that I don't look like a thug, don't show up drunk or stoned, and promote a good image of what they are trying to accomplish. Many openly wonder how so many people from so many places actually pass the background checks and I remind them that background checks and convictions can often just be a function of poverty and bad luck, or having enemies who snitched someone off. You can open just about any newspaper anywhere or turn on your TV and see stories about famous people who are doing felonies and getting away with it.

Even by a lot of standards, I am not the best worker. I often get to places late, need to read directions twice, sometimes make mistakes putting stuff together, but then I don't ever rip people off. One of the biggest complaints I hear from folks is how the guys with the contractors licenses and regular businesses will use some legal clause or mumbo jumbo to rip people off. Nobody will give me a regular wage paying consistent job, but with the summer uptick in project helper/handyman/jack of all trades type stuff this last month has not been all that bad. I just made enough to pay the rent this month so I am only 6 days late instead of a couple weeks and I actually have enough left over for food and gas. Not bad for three weeks left in the month.

Alex in Portland, Oregon

74 months ago

You know, what is amazing is all of the people I had applied for jobs with over the last several months never called me back for regular employment, but I got some connections privately for cash work due to finally developing a decent reputation for showing up smelling good and not being a drunk rude misfit like a lot of people out there on the lower rungs of the ladder. I am averaging $200 per weekend as a project helper with tools and it is fairly basic stuff, while the temp agencies who said they would "put me on the list" just don't call. Nearly everyone I work for knows I am now a felon and did time, but the appreciate the fact that I don't look like a thug, don't show up drunk or stoned, and promote a good image of what they are trying to accomplish. Many openly wonder how so many people from so many places actually pass the background checks and I remind them that background checks and convictions can often just be a function of poverty and bad luck, or having enemies who snitched someone off. You can open just about any newspaper anywhere or turn on your TV and see stories about famous people who are doing felonies and getting away with it.

Even by a lot of standards, I am not the best worker. I often get to places late, need to read directions twice, sometimes make mistakes putting stuff together, but then I don't ever rip people off. One of the biggest complaints I hear from folks is how the guys with the contractors licenses and regular businesses will use some legal clause or mumbo jumbo to rip people off. Nobody will give me a regular wage paying consistent job, but with the summer uptick in project helper/handyman/jack of all trades type stuff this last month has not been all that bad. I just made enough to pay the rent this month so I am only 6 days late instead of a couple weeks and I actually have enough left over for food and gas. Not bad for three weeks left in the month.

jstlyk1 in Cleveland, Ohio

74 months ago

They say that jobs arent supposed to be able to look back past 7 yrs ( at your record/background ), but of course theres always something. The guys who opposed the felons working are entitled to their opinions and alot of people agreewith them, you might also under different circumstances. It doesnt make it right. Im a felon and still goin through it, lol. Im taking the go to school, try to open my own business, and in the meantime whatever gruntwork i can get into. You guys can also try some volunteering so you can possibly network, or by good impression, happen upon a job. Good Luck.

Lilly in Chicago, Illinois

74 months ago

I pray to God that people like you who judge others never have a family member ever convicted or a felony. You should let God Almighty judge, not you the people, who do you think you are better then others. Convicts know what they lost when they served thier time or probation. So they know what they have now with a new job, they will do thier best to serve you. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAME OF YOURSELF. Let them be judge by GOD ALL MIGHTY.

Jason Simmons in Boston, Massachusetts

74 months ago

I been in prison for 3 years now and can't find a jobs for nothing.How can i find a job? I got skills in computers,ground maintaence,customer service.

jwhitehead

74 months ago

Charlie in Tignall, Georgia said: Well actually the guy has a point in that the only (ONLY, mind you)reason Denny's Restaurant exists is to please that guy - and thousands of others like him. The customer is the reason for any business. Without the customer being happy, the business will not exist for very long and if you advertise that you are hiring felons to work there it WILL turn off some customers.

Since most people in the US are of the same opinion as that fellow, it is possible that Denny's could lose enough business to actually cease to exist. You see there is a very good reason companies are willing to fork over about $25 dollars per employee to do drug tests and criminal background tests. If they don't, they lose assets and they lose customers.

No matter how much you disagree, there are not enough criminal minded people/supporters in the US to operate your own country and keep yourselves alive even if we gave you the western half of

that is bull crap I've worked my tail off for years 11 to be exact and now everybody does background checks they are just full of crap they don't want workers that actually will work for them to provide for their famalies given the opportunity

CLACLAIR in Newark, Delaware

74 months ago

EVERYBODY HAS A DOWNPOINT IN THEIR LIFE, JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE A BACKGROUND DOESNT MAKE THEM BAD PEOPLE. WHAT KIND OF SELFISH INCONSIDERATE COMMENT IS THAT TO MAKE? IF YOU DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH ANY WORKING PERSON THAT HAS A CRIMINAL RECORD, DONT DO OUTSIDE!!!

paramedgal in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

I am a business owner and I believe in giving people a chance from the start. There is no way to judge someone on just one instance of their life. Just as some people out there with a clean record can mess up, ex felons good people who at one time made a mistake. We must give all a chance, let them prove themselves on the job, what are they capable of achieving and can they perform well.
Afterall, they are being hired to do a job, not live with you, and if they mess up then they must go, but I believe that if you or I did something way back when we were young and naive and even though it went on our record and 10 or 20 years later when we are older, wiser and better people and have learned from those experiences, that we would like the chance to prove our worth without bein judged for that one incident. Things hardly ever stay the same, and people do change and I believe that people would rather do good if they had to choose.

Lilly in Chicago, Illinois

74 months ago

I agree with you 100%, we all make mistakes in our lifes. Some mistakes don't cause you to have a felony record but, other mistakes do. I as a person with no record at all, but do have a brother with a felony record I deeply understand how hard it is to find a job, or how harder it is to get rejected from a potential job applied for. Felons deserve a second chance in life, just like we forgive our loves ones, and closes friends when they do us wrong. I also too, have my reserves in what kind of felons should be given a second chance, and where they should not work around. Like children, and woman rapist, and serial killers. I personally feel these felons should have never left thier cells...but if the courts decided they served thier time, they should me kept far from children, and that is very hard to do, children are everywhere you look. Thank'S to all might God my brother did finally find a job after looking for a year in a half. Some out there over looked and gave him a job. GOD works in mistirious ways, my brother never let does rejections put him down for long, he always believed GOD will guide him to the right job. JUST KEEP BELIEVING IN ALMIGHTY GOD, HE WILL NEVER FAIL YOU...AMEN TO THAT.

FRANK in Jeffersonville in Indianapolis, Indiana

74 months ago

Thank God for people like you. Felons do deserve a chance to prove themselves.

Don in Keller, Texas

74 months ago

Becuase my friend no one is perfect and if everyone in this worldd opened up their closet and let out the wrong doings they have ever done the list would be unending. Another point is in some cases it was circumstances and not desire that got them into their situation. If you do not give an x-con a break chances are they will take the wrong road again not because they want to but out of the human desire to servive. So you may sit there in your would of so called perfection and be part of the problem or you can be one of the few in the world to follow God's lead and be part of the solution. Any skeleton in your closet you care to share with us.

No I'm not an x-con but I can tell you if I owned a company I would hire x-cons in a New York minute mostly because most of them have been there and done that and believe me it is not a picnic behind the walls of a prison so there desire to accomplish something is greater.

74 months ago

There's not a day that goes by that i don't think about the stupid mistake i made.
I have one thing on my record that's it.Right now I am a junior in college attaining a second degree just 29 credits from being a senior majoring in electronics engineering (BS) going into the masters program in engineering. I also have a degree in industrial electronics engineering.I had applied for good paying jobs and hired "but" when the background comes back(Well you know the story).I am homeless right now doing this getting 3 hours sleep everyday in Kinko's computer outlet.It's not a day that goes by that i don't regret doing what i did.I have nobody to blame but myself.I have a 16 year daughter i haven't seen in 2 years i miss her so much.I raised her by myself playing mommy and being a daddy.She is with the mother now because of this.I have no money right now i go day to day eating in the soup kitchen at lease I'm eating holding on. I pray to god everyday to be with me to which over me and give me hope.A year and 1/2 ago i almost died in the hospital(stomach ulcers) almost bled to death.But,,god is good he kept me down here for a reason to get myself back together again.At one time i had everything and in the next second lost it.
I know something is going to brake,I'm praying that it does.I just keep praying to the lord and ask for his blessings..My focus right now is to get a job,a apartment,finish school,see my daughter and pay the errors in child support.This is the first time in my life being like this because of a mistake i made.It's not easy trust me..Sleeping in Kinko's."but" with the lords help i stay strong hoping to see my daugther.An engineering recruiter told me if it wasn't for that one charge the companies would have kept me.My record is clean except for that one charge.I have faith in the lord something is going to brake.He saved me so i know he's there looking.

74 months ago

There's not a day that goes by that i don't think about the stupid mistake i made.
I have one thing on my record that's it.Right now I am a junior in college attaining a second degree just 29 credits from being a senior majoring in electronics engineering (BS) going into the masters program in engineering. I also have a degree in industrial electronics engineering.I had applied for good paying jobs and hired "but" when the background comes back(Well you know the story).I am homeless right now doing this getting 3 hours sbeing a daddy.She is with the mother now because of this.I have no money right now i go day to day eating in the soup kitchen at lease I'm eating holding on. I pray to god everyday to be with me to which over me and give me hope.A year and 1/2 ago i almost died in the hospital(stomach ulcers) almost bled to death.But,,god is good he kept me down here for a reason to get myself back together again.At one time i had everything and in the next second lost it.
I know something is going to brake,I'm praying that it does.I just keep praying to the lord and ask for his blessings..My focus right now is to get a job,a apartment,finish school,see my daughter and pay the errors in child support.This is the first time in my life being like this because of a mistake i made.It's not easy trust me..Sleeping in Kinko's."but" with the lords help i stay strong hoping to see my daugther.An engineering recruiter told me if it wasn't for that one charge the companies would have kept me.My record is clean except for that one charge.I have faith in the lord something is going to brake.He saved me so i know he's there looking.

74 months ago

It's me again.
This is something for you guys.

You could have a 1000 nightmares before you have a good dream and a 1000 more nightmares before the next one."BUT" now you would endure 3000 nightmares because now you know and anticipate the next good dream.

In darkness and the light we travel."BUT" what matters it's the outcome.

MY LORD.
Please show me my enemies as I'm talking to my friends.

Sometimes you think that the lord has abandon and he hasn't. He steps in your life when its necessary to being it to order. We always say why lord why me things happen mistakes are done.We have to be strong and stay strong.the lord is always there with his hands out waiting for the moment that we need him most and like a flash of light hes there like a doctor,protector,listener and guardian.For he will never abandon us.We love lord.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Vancouver, Washington

74 months ago

the engineer in Salt Lake City, Utah said: When the felon you hire kills someone at work, who's going to be liable for it? Why would an employer ever take this risk?

I was half tempted to simply hit the "report abuse" button on this comment. I would be willing to bet that you have zero numbers to back up your claims.

Lets talk about risk, what is the spouse murder rate for the following groups and which is higher?

Cops
Prison guards
Hells Angels

I can tell you from horror stories I hear within the construction industry, the absolute worst people to deal with are those closely connected with the criminal justice system when it comes to someone who comes from a business environment where honor and being straight with your word carries far more weight than being able to legally get over on someone.

Right now, the police unions have managed to gut the Brady law issue about those with spouse abuse convictions being ineligible to handle firearms. We are also seeing plenty of semi-secret drug treatment programs being offered within the law enforcement community under circumstances where the "others" would simply be put back in prison. One prime example of this is the Georgia dope cop named Chance Oxner who recently gunned down a church pastor who had mistaken him for a robber when Oxner approached him "street warrior" style with his gun drawn because the pastor had previously been alone in a vehicle with a girl who Oxner had been attempting to recruit as a dope informant and had been enticing to get back into the dope business. The subsequent death investigation which of course cleared Oxner was primarily based on intensive interrogation with the young woman (in her early 20s, the pastor in his late 20s) over whether or not she had previously had sex with the pastor.

Ndpndtz in Scranton, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

I am 22 years old living in Scranton, PA. I was in foster care from ages 5-17 and was forced out of the system at 17 because I graduated to early. I went into the military because I had no family to turn to, despite having mental disorders and exercise induced asthma. I ended up getting out on a hardship discharge because of my asthma and sent home. My grandmother was both my father and mother while growing up. She was diagnosed with lung cancer in April and was put on Hospice. She was told 6 months or less to live. I ended up getting into legal trouble after getting out of the military because I was desperate. I was living from friend to friend and working as hard as I could as a line cook. I was not making nearly enough to cover fines, rent, utilities, food and everyday living. I decided to start selling weed. Well big mistake that was, I ended up getting an ungraded felony for PWID (Possession with the intent to deliver). I did my time and moved on. I am a firm believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and what he did for us. I do not have my father or mother in my life, their choice. I was placed into foster care because my father tried to burn down our house while my step-mom and I were sleeping. Since then he has stayed away from me. My mother hates me because she says I remind her of my father and it makes her sick. So I felt that if she wants to be in my life, I am not hard to find. I am in college for Electronic and Computer Engineering and graduate in April 2011. I have made deans list every semester and plan on keeping it that way to support my degree in the search of a job. My concern is now, I cut off all my friends period. I made one new friend who has been supporting me while I am waiting for my SSDI appeal to come up. The problem lies with, my friend can't afford to support me anymore. If I go and get a Job now, I would lose SSDI which would collapse my chances of finding some stability with a doctor and medications. I am tired, can someone offer any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.