Finding Jobs That Will Hire People With a Felony.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (901 to 950 of 1318)
Page:  « First « Previous   16  17  18  19  20  21  22  Next »   Last »

Sara in Warren, Michigan

47 months ago

Good information in Winterville, Georgia said: Thanks for the info. I will never spend another dime at Denny's. I sure don't want a criminal cooking my food.

Please let us all know if you folks get jobs at other businesses so we can avoid those as well.

Not everyone that has a criminal record are bad people. MOST people have a record from when they were young and when they mature have a hard time finding a job because of something that happened when they were younger. Its stupid and ignorant to say something like this

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ARTIE in North Bergen, New Jersey

47 months ago

I'VE BEEN CONVICTED OF BURGLARY ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO, AND A DISTRIBUTION OF MARIJUANA IN 1996. I COMPLETED A PROGRAM THAT I WAS INPATIENT FOR 13 MONTHS. I'M TRYING TO GET MY LIFE TOGETHER AND I CAN'T FIND A PLACE THAT WILL HIRE ME BECAUSE OF MY PAST. I NEED A JOB ASAP!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles Wamser in Lakewood, Ohio

47 months ago

I have just got out of prison last week. So i am just getting started looking. I know it's going to be a grind.have 15 years as a high rise window washer. I also know dry wall,and many other things. so if any out there can lead me on the right track i would love the insight.

Advise in Clinton Township, Michigan

47 months ago

www.hard2hire.com has jobs just for felons, sign up for it. It asks what your trying to hide from your employer. Click on Criminal Record.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sara in Warren, Michigan

47 months ago

thank you for the website im going to tell my fiance' about and hope it helps....GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE TRYING TO FIND A JOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Armin in Castle Rock, Colorado

47 months ago

Hello everyone, I am sure most of you will recognize me from some of my posts. I am the ex-bank robber from CO. I come to you today as the bearer of good news. I was just hired by UPS. I had an extensive talk with the Human Resources Director and gained some valuable information regarding their employment policies. I am what is referred to as a "friendly felon". UPS follows CA with the 7 year rule. If your felony is older than 7 years they will not hold it against you and will grant you employment. The felonies older than 7 years will still show up in their search so, I would recommend that you still are honest with them. I was and it payed off. Anyway, I just wanted to spread the wealth and wish everyone the best of luck with your endeavors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Born again Christian in Phoenix, Arizona

47 months ago

If you are reading this and you are going through something hard in your life. You can't find a job because of something you did in the past, please I consider that you look towards Jesus. He came into the world not to condemn you but to save you. I don't care what you did in the past God will forgive you if you invite his Son into your life. If you tried everything and got nowhere. Try Jesus. If you would like to be saved right now, if you want a relationship with God right now. Then pray this prayer God, I am a sinner., but I believe that you sent Jesus, and that he shed his blood and died on the cross for my sins. I repent of all my sins and I accept Jesus as my savior. From this day forward I give my life to you. Thank you for saving me. Thank him and call someone you love and tell them what just happened and tell them that everything is going to be alright because you now in God's hands. Read your bible and ask God to find you a Bible base church Welcome, and Congratulations. Your are a child of God. God bless you and I would see you in heaven.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Portland, Oregon

47 months ago

Thanks for the info on UPS.

I recently just got turned down for a job at a place where I had actually sent some other felons to work when I had a job, they did very well at the place (a car dealership) and made a whole lot of money for the owners. They eventually split off and opened their own dealership, leaving their old employer with a healthy business and upgraded to a new location which is clean, neat, much more honest and respected in the community. That was a place where a significant chunk of the sales staff openly displayed blue ink prison tats. I then went there, was honest about my record, and while the management apparently liked me, the owners wanted me shown the door. I have to go back and demand the application back since I don't want anyone who figures I don't deserve a job to be holding on to my personal info with signed permission to investigate me.

It is nice to have all of the "GOD talk" but why does that come off as nutjob lingo to me? Is that what got people jobs in law enforcement? How about any other steady government jobs? How about property management or running some part of a car repair shop?

I hate raining on people's parades, but we have to face something here, there is an entire class of people hell bent on making sure that felons and other social misfits don't get "material support for criminal lifestyles, and having a record means "criminal lifestyle" in their eyes. Being mad about something and any possibility of doing something about it makes you a terrorist. Why do you think those guys who bust unlicensed contractors are so proud of the fact that they are usually burning felons on that? Or people who burn felons for parole and probation violations which are 99% victimless? It is not about protecting anything, but the convenient hatred and contempt of a class of people, and that my friends, is class warfare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Cincinnati, Ohio

47 months ago

Martisa Hunt in Rochester, Michigan said: Hi severeal years ago i was in a domestic violence relationship and i ended up assaulting my assaulter and i
got in trouble for that I have a lot of work experience in light industrial general labor machine operator assembly sorting and housekeping supervisor,but i cant find a job because everyone does backround checks.I dont think that's fair if you dont give people a chance how will you ever know how good of a
worker you passed up.What should i do?

Systems are set up to "forever" judge all individuals with records. Records are public information. I'm speaking from experience. God has your back.

ACCEPT YOUR PAST- Whenever you have to share your past with a prospect employer, hold your head up and speak firmly about your past. "I was an unhealthy situation and one day, I retalliated out of fear, anger etc....my experience and consequences has shed some light on things I could've done differently..." **It's hard for people to see you as a victin when you're the one with the conviction.

NETWORK- Get to know God. He will clearly see you thorugh. Become heavily involved in church and start attending meetings and events that will expose you to new people friendships. ** People who go to church are business owners, executives at their company etc. Put your work in for God and people will get to know you and will feel less fearful about helping you.

VOLUNTEER- While looking for a paying job,volunteer somewhere. You'll have an opportunity to exemplify all of the traits employers look for- dedication, punctuality, good customer service and dependability.**If a position you qualify for becomes available where you volunteer someone may be more than willing to be a reference for you, even externally (if you apply somewhere else).

HUSTLE- Don't get discouraged. "Keep it moving". Apply, apply, apply and follow up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

God Talker lol in Grand Junction, Colorado

47 months ago

The God talk, is too tell you that if you belong to a good church in your community (of whom the people usually have deep connections) usually get to know you and put in a good word, or help you find work. In the town I live in I dont know what I would do with out the people from my church!! It was because of someone from my church, I am now employed!! I'm telling you, the bible says when you trust in him, all things are possible! Read your bible and pray and head to church!

God bless you,
and keep up the faith with your
job search.

God Talker

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

God Talker lol in Grand Junction, Colorado

47 months ago

Lisa in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Systems are set up to "forever" judge all individuals with records. Records are public information. I'm speaking from experience. God has your back.

ACCEPT YOUR PAST- Whenever you have to share your past with a prospect employer, hold your head up and speak firmly about your past. "I was an unhealthy situation and one day, I retalliated out of fear, anger etc....my experience and consequences has shed some light on things I could've done differently..." **It's hard for people to see you as a victin when you're the one with the conviction.

NETWORK- Get to know God. He will clearly see you thorugh. Become heavily involved in church and start attending meetings and events that will expose you to new people friendships. ** People who go to church are business owners, executives at their company etc. Put your work in for God and people will get to know you and will feel less fearful about helping you.

VOLUNTEER- While looking for a paying job,volunteer somewhere. You'll have an opportunity to exemplify all of the traits employers look for- dedication, punctuality, good customer service and dependability.**If a position you qualify for becomes available where you volunteer someone may be more than willing to be a reference for you, even externally (if you apply somewhere else).

HUSTLE- Don't get discouraged. "Keep it moving". Apply, apply, apply and follow up.

I agree with you 100% I did all these things and that got me my job! To those people who dont listen to the lord and trust in him..its only going to take longer. God said he would NEVER let us suffer, and by his words..I am employed!and by his wounds, I am healed!

Alex in Portland, Oregon

47 months ago

God Talker lol in Grand Junction, Colorado said: The God talk, is too tell you that if you belong to a good church in your community (of whom the people usually have deep connections) usually get to know you and put in a good word, or help you find work. In the town I live in I dont know what I would do with out the people from my church!! It was because of someone from my church, I am now employed!! I'm telling you, the bible says when you trust in him, all things are possible! Read your bible and pray and head to church!

God bless you,
and keep up the faith with your
job search.

God Talker

Yeah, well, Sundays are about the only days I consistently get paid work, so whether that is a good sign or a bad sign I can't say. What I do see and did see when I was more regularly going to church is I got told the superstition answers, while people with real jobs just got connections. I figured something was up when a room in the place I rented became available and I wanted to send the referral through the church, since there was not much felon friendly low income housing in the area, and we had a decent little program of rustling up self employment which was tolerated by the probation people because we were not out doing any outlaw stuff.

I don't blame GOD so much for people lying to me or playing games of wasting my time handing over personal information in job applications for jobs they have no intention of hiring me for, or worse would only hire me to police me.

America was once the sanctuary for disenfranchised people from Europe and other lands, and however you criticize the history, what is needed now is a truly free country where people can go to be free, because this plainly ain't it.

Do some research on corporate policies over "negligent hiring practices". What the big consulting firms have done is put a big scare into businesses over incidents where a felon was hired then did some crime against a client or coworker.

Alex in Portland, Oregon

47 months ago

The issues with what the popular "HR Consultants" being up on the whole thing surrounding "negligent hiring liability" is basically a tool of the prison systems again, as they want felons poor, desperate and committing crimes. They use scare stories about "felons" who got hired somewhere and raped or otherwise attacked a client or coworker. We saw the same thing years ago when there was a push to keep ex-cons out of colleges, the idea being that since some of the student population were under 18, various child safety acts made it "mandatory" for the schools to either have an "over 18" rule, or no felons on campus. It being a win-win for state contol since there was a push to make mandatory high school classes longer to where few if any students could graduate before age 18, and to shut down alternative schooling which can give diplomas and GEDs to 15 and 16 year olds. Keeping felons uneducated and ignorant would of course serve the purpose too.

So now, I think that concealing records is never going to work, and is a dishonest way of dealing with these issues. When I saw the phrase "proper policing of employees" in one of the websites, I cringed, but understand what that means: constantly hostile management looking over your shoulder for an opportunity to get you back in jail.

I was convicted of arms dealing, not rape, not robbery, not cash drawer theft. Don't want an ex-arms dealer in your premises? That's your right, but damn to hell anyone who wants to punish me for crimes I have never done or even considered doing.

trashisfree in Denver, Colorado

47 months ago

Another way I have made money is by owning a house. Buying a super cheap house on a credit card at a better rate than a home loan worked out well for me. I legally own the house free and clear, due to the credit card loan not being tied to the house.

$400 a month rent, and doing 2 bail bonds has done me well. When I do a property bond I charge 2.9%, better than a bail bonds man by far. $85k bond and a 50k bond at 2.9% adds up fast. I am very fussy about who I bond out. I could charge more and probably would on smaller bonds. I even accept payments over time, I won't help anyone I don't trust 1000%.

Between rent and bail bonds thats $8,715 I have made in the last 12 months on a 35k house, before working. That I still get to live in.

Property bonds normally entail $40-90 worth of paperwork, bonding fees, recording fees. Which the client pays for. The paperwork consists of a title document showing what you owe. Still easy enough to get everything done in 1 day. Maybe a couple hours later when the bond is released.

In Colorado the way a property bond works is you need 1.5 times the equity in your house for the bond amount. The property value is based on what the taxable value is from property taxes, not anything to do with what you actually paid for it.

In my case the state claims my wreck is worth around 140k. Which puts me at 93k in bonding power. 140k / 1.5 = 93k.

I have really tried to show people a zillion different ways I make money on here. I would not count on any single one of them. Together though they work far better than many decent jobs.

aknight63 in Coulee City, Washington

46 months ago

I hope you starve then. Some of us only have felony records through bad timing and not because we actually committed a crime

dsky10

46 months ago

Good information in Winterville, Georgia said: Thanks for the info. I will never spend another dime at Denny's. I sure don't want a criminal cooking my food.

Please let us all know if you folks get jobs at other businesses so we can avoid those as well.

It could be you in the wrong place at the wrong time ..pal .. do not judge lest you be judged yourself!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Pikeville, Tennessee

46 months ago

you are one low life if you fell that way. The only differance between the Criminal at Denny's and yourself is you probably didnt get caught. Everyone has done something that could have gotten them in trouble and thats why some people just need a second chance. My husband is one of those people, and its those like you that make us suffer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

foreverfit in Glendale, California

46 months ago

Wow, I can't believe all the junk some people write on here about "criminals". I think it is a bunch of junk to discriminate again someone especially when they have made a mistake. You don't know what they have been through in their life, how blessed you might have been to have things handed to you.

I have spent my entire life giving to other people, doing service work, helping out at risk youth, putting together non-profit fundraisers etc. And I had a period of my life where I went through a lot of verbal and physical abuse and ended up drinking in a relationship. I got a DUI not from it not a felony but still a conviction and now there are people that would have patted me on the back telling me I am a great person back then..... who if I told them now would do the same thing as some of these creeps on here and turn their back on me. People mess up and we aren't perfect and half of you probably have too and just didn't get caught. So that doesn't mean you shouldn't give us a job or a shot to prove who we are.

Couldn't believe the guy that wrote he wouldn't shop or go eat where a felon is working. All I can say is what goes around comes around and the only person you can control is yourself and when times get rough sometimes those who help you out are those who you didn't give a chance

Lee Boylan in Lewisville, Texas

46 months ago

KNOW ONE CARES THAT IF YOU BECOME HOMELESS OR HAVE TO GO BACK TO THAT WAY OF LIFE TO SUPPORT YOUR FAMLY I JUST NEED A ###@ JOB

dan in Concord, New Hampshire

46 months ago

ramirez_98@yahoo.com in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: I was fired from my previous job due to a mistake I made (one mistake in almost 9 years)and now have pending felony charges that I believe are the reason for my failure to find a job. I've been unemployed for over a year and can't provide for my family. I just obtained a Bookkeeping certificate and a Payroll Clerk Certificate but I feel that makes no difference, I am still unemployed and desperate, can anyone please help?

No one will take a chance on you until the felony charges are resolved. The reason is: if you are hired and then convicted of your charges, the company loses you for the duration of your sentence. Best of luck after your court date.

Alex in Portland, Oregon

46 months ago

Unfortunately, you are dealing with people who are just looking for opportunities to capitalize on their own prejudices when they have an excuse to. It is bad for felons all around, blacks being typecast, then it becomes really easy to discriminate when the place officially says it is about the background checks, then even worse for the few white felons who don't have a race card and it is just personal.

Chances are that if you are on some sort of probation or pretrial release, then the disclosure is mandatory or you go to jail. If you are not "on paper" and it is not a true security clearance type job, then the only real penalty for lying is you get terminated from employment, which does not look as bad on your record as being long term unemployed in your field, since that makes you look just lazy. Now listing yourself as "self employed" works to some degree, but does not fool the super picky HR people.

This is a laborer forum, so if you are caught on some accounting level white collar crime, guess what, that career is now over. Now whether or not that should disqualify you from straight regular labor work is the issue here, as lots of outfits now want to play elitist on requiring background checks just because they figure it makes themselves look better to investors or clients. You do a little research on it, and many, if not most of those same outfits, especially when they are corporate, are very much into hiring "legal" immigrants who it is impossible to do accurate background checks with.

Alex in Portland, Oregon

46 months ago

Also remember that a lot of firms are outright bluffing over background checks, and others will hold it against you if you even have an arrest record, which they most likely illegally obtained through "connections" at some law enforcement agency where personnel are allowed to sell information on the side to private investigators.

All that said, if you are receiving any sort of social service money (welfare, unemployment, food stamps), then there is some requirement to try to find work, go ahead and try it. They are apparently keeping records on employers who refuse to hire otherwise eligible felons and then try and apply for immigration visas for their new hire employees. They will eventually get burned for it, but probably not in time to do you a whole lot of good, although you can have some satisfaction in contributing to social justice by making a clear effort to go to work for them and putting on them that they are screwing up the economy.

Darlene Brennan in Tampa, Florida

46 months ago

Maybe you or your family members and/or friends just never "got caught", one is considered felons for some really stupid reasons, most by young, dumb people. People DO change.

46 months ago

I have to say hitting estate sales and auctions for resale has definitely worked to my advantage.

46 months ago

Get a pickup truck and a few tools, start scrapping when you have nothing better to do. Biggest thing is get off your duff, quit feeling sorry for yourself and start making some money.

The odds of you getting a decent job are slim to nil.

Today I bought 3 dog kennels + a demo saw for $133 at auction. Easy resell for $50 a kennel and flip the demo saw for $200. Net profit $214 after gas.

Waiting right now on 6 barrels that I middle man to someone else. $80 profit. Dropped off here, picked up here.

Even if I make nothing tomorrow, I do get a free kitchen aid gas stove tomorrow. Power wash that one, power wash my current one, and sell the old one for $50.

I may not be getting rich, but I sure as hell am not staying poor either. I didn't spend all day at some sorry excuse for a job either. I average 1500-2k profit a month + have the time to hit all the right food banks.

Lisa in Cincinnati, Ohio

46 months ago

"Get down with the get down". You go boyeee! That's what it's all about. I visited with a military veteran job coach yesterday and was not able to receive assistance (from him), because their grant required that he and others whi serve the same roll, to help individuals that are even less fortunate than the state I consider myself to be in. I read many of these postings and I read much intelligence, strength, experience and compassion. We are capable. Life is not going to do us any favors. Let's pray for the addicts, severe mental health, chronic criminals, homeless and others who are truly less fortunate. Let's be thankful that right now, we are still in a good, thinking state of mind and simply make things happen for ourselves. If you're athletic, work with local community centers see if they have it in their budget to pay you a little to coach or organizee. Buy and re-sale tools. Try to sell Avon or Mary Kay. You can do this in addition to other work. Start a call detailing service. Maybe connect with a church and let them know of your circumstances and ask them if you can use their water to wash cars, accepting whatever the customer donates for your service. I don't know. Be creative and think outside the box for your hustle. Much love.

shanti1 in Cleveland, Ohio

45 months ago

millennium in Cleveland, Ohio said: you might as well dont eat out Sir, because every eatery has a convicted felon,the UNITED STATES AINT NOTHING BUT CRIMINALS FROM THE BEGINNING. Being a Convicted Felon of 30 years, i am still being Profiled, so i say to all of you that has a record, go into Business for yourself. Its going to be a rough road, but it cant be any rougher than it is already! Find you something that will earn you Profit for a living,Also,exspungement is also an option!

They say, you are forgiven once you have Paid your Debt to Society, but still counter with Discrimination. Now you know and understand! Be strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

people make mistakes like im sure you have an you never know people situation so back off they need to provide for their families to an no I dnt have a record but I would support anyone thats trying to turn their life around get a clue just because someone messed up in the past doesn't mean that they will be that way forever

Darlene Brennan in Tampa, Florida

45 months ago

I can only assume no one in the family, or this persons friends has ever done anything wrong...right! They just never got caught! They are,very apparently, insensitive idiots! Well, when something goes wrong in your life or that of a loved one....keep your distance....you may get "dirt" on yourself....and if it's you, keep away from others....you may get them dirty! You make me sick. Eat at home, find work you can do from home (don't want to "rub elbows"), don't go to any stores, banks, doctors, stay inside...never step outside...they are everywhere and you are, afterall, perfect!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Portland, Oregon

45 months ago

I have been trading strategy with the guy in Denver for over a year now. Doing handyman work and such. The scrap and hauling "free stuff" thing here has not done so well for me but I hit some decent deals here and there between auctions and surplus sales. The issue being that as soon as some little hustle gets known, a dozen guys step in and its over.

One thing I hate that is so damn humiliating is applying for jobs where the application has little or nothing to do with the relevant skills and everything about profiling whether or not they think you deserve to earn a living. I say that because it is not just about "having a job" but where they want to set your starting pay IF you are hired, and whether or not you are on the "probationary fire him if he looks at anyone wrong" list. I so far worked for two places that I found out were trying to farm me for probation violations, basically using company resources not so much to monitory my job performance, but to see if they could "get involved as a community resources for justice" meaning watching for any possible violation so they could report it and get some sort of pat on the back. "Here is the locker room, here is your desk, don't get too used to it...".

Alex in Portland, Oregon

45 months ago

Wait until you are in a state where you do get a truck and tools together, have some happy customers while you handle odd jobs for them, and then the license contractors start crying and whining to the regulators about how the "criminals" are ruining their business. Same people who would refuse to hire me, refuse to buy tools and equipment from me when I was in the tool sales business, now go bitching to the state about me scoring small jobs they would probably refuse to do anyway. I can't believe this.

They don't really hate people who have broken laws, they just hate losers who have done time.

John in Allentown, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

College grad and convicted felon here. Once upon a time had a 15 yr career in the insurance field before getting fired for taking $$ to support past gambling addiction. Went from good career to rejection for minimum wage jobs. Eventually (thru non-stop effort)got a low paying job as a delivery driver, then got a CDL and landed a better local driving job. 3 1/2 yrs later, driving highest paying job in the company due to being one of the few employees who actually show up for work every day. Would I like to return to my previous career, of course, but that will never ever happen. Do I like what I do.., not really, but I make 90% of what I once did and there is hope for better in the future.
I know it sounds easier said than done but if you keep at it, and put your ego aside, even some of the pathetic-at-first jobs can eventually lead to something decent or even good. It's all up to you once you land something. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donald Greaves in Grove City, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

Yeah,Life is a Piece of crap in this Society and Police Records are a Banishment from Humanity. Once again i say the real Criminals are the ones running the System. And i repeat what i said on a previous occasion,the only way to get your life back is to unite together as a single unity. Every other species in this Demon Lovin Country has demands met because they band together and fight for their rights,for the damndest reason.No the People who control the Government in this Country aren't Honest or Just. Once more this country is full of illusional and delusional people. Religion is going full blown fanatical,Religion is beating a dead dog and i have seen the actions of would be- want to be followers of a religious foundation. But if you ever was to pick up a bible on browse thru it, well to be honest most people would get absolutely nothing out of it. And then i say if you can find the honesty inside your self. And that is just the beginning of Spiritual Foundation, sometimes that is all you have when you feel all alone in an unjust society. I don't have a solution to racial discrimination other than to say the Black Cop hates himself and took it out on you.

Lee Boylan in Lewisville, Texas

45 months ago

Well all i have to say is that some time well all fall down that dark road of life,we walk way from GOD and are familys,Yes we need to stand up for our rights but who well Help thouse who do not have a rights,some day all people well onecs aging well stand up and fight the BIG USA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wow in Denver, Colorado

45 months ago

ha for those of u who have rude comments to say about "criminals" or felons you need a reality check... criminals are evrywhere my husband is someone who has a felony and he is an awesome loving person.. wouldnt trade him for anything :) so u make me sad with your way of thinking

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wildabeast in Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin

45 months ago

I am a convicted felon and served 4 years in prison. Last week, I landed a union laborers job. It took me 7 months from my release to land a job but, I was able to land one. I believe that being honest about my conviction may have even helped me. Even though they may be few, there are still good christian people out there who believe in forgiveness and second chances. Those who don't are a big part of the nations problem. They wonder why crime is so high and why so many convicted felons return to prison yet, they won't give a person a chance to change their life around and be a positive contributor to society leaving them with few other choices returning to crime. A man has to survive. Anyway, I just wanted to give those of you felons out there still looking for work an ounce of hope. There is hope and there are still good people out there willing to give someone a second chance. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin

45 months ago

Their is an open job if any one cares for get back to me on kevseeking@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kirk legler in Castro Valley, California

45 months ago

Trish said: What a jerk! Are you kidding me I'd rather serve felons and truckers then people like you! You'll eat at a low class place like Denny's and have the nerve to say who should work there, Only people that can afford to work for nothing!!! JERK!!!!!! But I'll bet your one of the guys I served at the "Gentlemens" clubs and got all your money! LOL on you

yea! thats what im talking about!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mark in Orlando, Florida

45 months ago

Armin in Castle Rock, Colorado said: Hello everyone, I am sure most of you will recognize me from some of my posts. I am the ex-bank robber from CO. I come to you today as the bearer of good news. I was just hired by UPS. I had an extensive talk with the Human Resources Director and gained some valuable information regarding their employment policies. I am what is referred to as a "friendly felon". UPS follows CA with the 7 year rule. If your felony is older than 7 years they will not hold it against you and will grant you employment. The felonies older than 7 years will still show up in their search so, I would recommend that you still are honest with them. I was and it payed off. Anyway, I just wanted to spread the wealth and wish everyone the best of luck with your endeavors.

Thanks for the post I have not caught a charge since 1991 but most places still hold my armed burglery,assalt and battery aginst me,and I have a strong work history.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jayd4760 in Tampa, Florida

45 months ago

I am a 24 yr old male who made some mistakes due to my family issues. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and for that i went to prison. I couldnt afford an attorney and so relied on someone paid by the prosecutor. I have been out of prison for about 3 yrs now and I am unable to not only find gainful employ but also have difficulty in finding comfortable housing. All due to background checks. Yes, I committed a crime, and yes, I served my time. So why then, in this country which is run by the people For the people, am i still punished? Am I no longer one of the people? What is the purpose of being incarcerated and "serving your debt" if when you have done so, you are cut from societal acceptance. At 24 I have nothing in my near future to look forward to in this country. And i am not alone. If we continue along this path, where does everyone think this country will be in the next 100 yrs? The system was developed to rehabilitate offenders. Instead it only creates a situation for offenders to have no other choice but to either be homeless and jobless or go back to criminal activity and in turn back to being incarcerated. We have overcome the discrimination of African Americans, Women, Gays, and Immigrants. But we still discriminate against felons. I dont understand how our nation which has come so far can still be so closed minded.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael Panyard in Pleasant Ridge, Michigan

45 months ago

I am looking for any job. Former CEO/President of a publicly traded corporation. My crime was a violation of the Clean Water Act. I still maintain my innocense and never took a plea bargain, I lost in court. After serving a fifteen month sentence in Morgantown WV I can't find a job. I have been turned down by several volunteer organizations because of my felony. The Salvation Army wouldn't let me be a bellringer this past holiday season. SOS, the Royal homeless shelter didn't think I was qualified to feed or help the homeless. I wouldn't donate to them, obviously they don't REALLY need help.

You can't have several jobs normally available to the public, or at least not without navigating through some special allowances and even then only if you have a single felony. As a federal convict, I no longer get to vote, forever.

No school teaching, no police officer, no fireman, no real estate broker, no insurance salesman, no lawyering, no being a doctor or a dentist. No jobs that involve children, no pharmacist, no owning a business with a liquor license, no licensed building, you cannot be bonded, you probably can't win a bid or contract from the government for several years. No psychology no pschiatry no chiropracty. No military, no big box retail (most require you pass a bondability test). No licensed gemology, no stock brokering no licensed family investment planning.

From what I have seen, you really are left with selling used cars, cheap labor/janitorial or starting your own business. The government offers almost no help whatsoever. They want you back inside working in their business, UNICOR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

Corey in Sorrento, Florida

45 months ago

Michael Panyard in Pleasant Ridge, Michigan said: I am looking for any job. Former CEO/President of a publicly traded corporation. My crime was a violation of the Clean Water Act. I still maintain my innocense and never took a plea bargain, I lost in court. After serving a fifteen month sentence in Morgantown WV I can't find a job. I have been turned down by several volunteer organizations because of my felony. The Salvation Army wouldn't let me be a bellringer this past holiday season. SOS, the Royal homeless shelter didn't think I was qualified to feed or help the homeless. I wouldn't donate to them, obviously they don't REALLY need help.

You can't have several jobs normally available to the public, or at least not without navigating through some special allowances and even then only if you have a single felony. As a federal convict, I no longer get to vote, forever.

No school teaching, no police officer, no fireman, no real estate broker, no insurance salesman, no lawyering, no being a doctor or a dentist. No jobs that involve children, no pharmacist, no owning a business with a liquor license, no licensed building, you cannot be bonded, you probably can't win a bid or contract from the government for several years. No psychology no pschiatry no chiropracty. No military, no big box retail (most require you pass a bondability test). No licensed gemology, no stock brokering no licensed family investment planning.

From what I have seen, you really are left with selling used cars, cheap labor/janitorial or starting your own business. The government offers almost no help whatsoever. They want you back inside working in their business, UNICOR.

I have got to hand it to you, you hit the nail on the head. I have had a felony charge since I was 17 years old and have never had the ability to get a job like others, NEVER.

Starting a business is the only way to go. Personally, I am a internet marketer and it has worked out VERY well for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

God I hated UNICOR. Building furniture that the Feds sold for huge profits used to grind at me.I am currently working on my Software Engineering degree and plan to start my own software company producing video games. I currently wash dishes in a restaurant for 12 bucks an hr, working 10-16 hr shifts. It sucks, but it is temporary. As a former Federal inmate for 7 years at USP Florence, I understand what it's like to endure that environment only to be released, finish parole with zero problems and realize that the minute I received a felony, I received a life sentence to be ridiculed, harassed, and generally treated like the scum of the earth. I didn't commit a sex offense, I didn't kill anybody. I just made a stupid decision as a kid and stole money from the government. I payed back every red cent and I did my time, I never felt sorry for myself for being so stupid, only for my family who I embarrassed and let down. I decided that upon release, I would be in the 13 percentile that never returned to any sort of crime and I have succeeded at that, but with no help from anyone but my own will. It is wrong when a Judge sentences you and tells you to change your life and you do just that, that you are then still treated like dirt and not given a fair chance. I agree with the other posts that recommend pursuing your own business. Anybody can do it, just find your niche and make your dreams goals. I laugh now when I pass Wal-Mart etc.. that would not give me work and think to myself that one day they will be buying cases of my video games. I wish you and everyone else here the best of luck with regaining some sort of a normal life and I vow that when I make it, I will advocate for all of us that changed our lives and became good people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

God I hated UNICOR. Building furniture that the Feds sold for huge profits used to grind at me.I am currently working on my Software Engineering degree and plan to start my own software company producing video games. I currently wash dishes in a restaurant for 12 bucks an hr, working 10-16 hr shifts. It sucks, but it is temporary. As a former Federal inmate for 7 years at USP Florence, I understand what it's like to endure that environment only to be released, finish parole with zero problems and realize that the minute I received a felony, I received a life sentence to be ridiculed, harassed, and generally treated like the scum of the earth. I didn't commit a sex offense, I didn't kill anybody. I just made a stupid decision as a kid and stole money from the government. I payed back every red cent and I did my time, I never felt sorry for myself for being so stupid, only for my family who I embarrassed and let down. I decided that upon release, I would be in the 13 percentile that never returned to any sort of crime and I have succeeded at that, but with no help from anyone but my own will. It is wrong when a Judge sentences you and tells you to change your life and you do just that, that you are then still treated like dirt and not given a fair chance. I agree with the other posts that recommend pursuing your own business. Anybody can do it, just find your niche and make your dreams goals. I laugh now when I pass Wal-Mart etc.. that would not give me work and think to myself that one day they will be buying cases of my video games. I wish you and everyone else here the best of luck with regaining some sort of a normal life and I vow that when I make it, I will advocate for all of us that changed our lives and became good people.

Jerseyguy in Belmar, New Jersey

45 months ago

I was convicted of 2 felonies in 1998 and basically served 2 and a half years in Rikers island and upstate NY.I am now 35 years old and have my first child on the way, I also just passed my class b cdl test w/ 2 endorsements (road and written :).I have pretty much skated by the last 10 years or so but now i need a decent job to help support me and my new family.Trying to find a decent job is bruuuuutal let alone trying to find one having two felonies in NJ.Any help would be majorly appreciated, thanks.

TWHITEHURST823@YAHOO.COM in Akron, Ohio

44 months ago

LG in Lake Mary, Florida said: WHAT A JERK

yes your being a BIG BIG JERK IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU TO JERK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ms.D'meanor in Las Vegas, Nevada

44 months ago

One thing I've learned from my mistake is that those that sit in judgment of others, are usually the worst offenders! Some of us have learned from our mistakes. Its people like you that claim they are "God fearing"? Look inside yourself pal, and see if you haven't made some bad judgment calls in your life. You must be a perfect human being to come here and judge others, when you don't even KNOW why or what got them into trouble to begin with? BTW a felon or someone who has been convicted of a lesser crime, doesn't mean they are all "Ted Bundy's", "Charles Manson's", or child molesters! Some are just white collar crimes that unfortunately were stamped with a felony on their record. Misdemeanors have the same stamp of disapproval from perfect people like yourself. So tired of all you self righteous, judgmental morons that are so uneducated about life. As the saying goes, especially in your case. "Walk a mile in someone else's shoes". Then maybe, just maybe you might have a voice of reason? All of the people that came on here, hopefully paid their debt to society, and are trying to move forward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

shawn in Castle Rock, Colorado

44 months ago

hey armin my names shawn im 24, just moved to castlerock im trying very very hard to get a job can u help me?? shawncallaway86@yahoo.com

Incognito in Middletown, Ohio

44 months ago

I can't believe how many of you actually got upset by this Troll. He's just some ignorant person getting on the internet(safely behind a computer) and trying to upset people and make them mad. You are all smarter than this. Don't give in to someone's ignorance and give them the satisfaction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Incognito in Middletown, Ohio

44 months ago

azteca3000 in Houston, Texas said: I got a DUI , few months ago . Now I can't get a decent paying job to save my life . I had A-CDL HAZ MAT ENDORSEMENT . MOTORCYCLE LICENSE . AIR BRAKES. THE WORKS . THE COP WAS BLACK and I'm white. SO HE SAID I WAS DUI. SO I'm out of the race for life . Unless I move the hell out of the US.

Wow. More ignorance... I don't even like cops, but what does the cop being black have anything to do with you driving drunk? I'm sorry you made a mistake and it's affecting your life, but it was YOUR mistake. Not the cops, and especially not because he is black. In case you are wondering, no, I'm not black. I am white. But racism is just as ignorant as the people who won't give ex felons a second chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alex (Portland) in Portland, Oregon

44 months ago

Incognito in Middletown, Ohio said: Wow. More ignorance... I don't even like cops, but what does the cop being black have anything to do with you driving drunk? I'm sorry you made a mistake and it's affecting your life, but it was YOUR mistake. Not the cops, and especially not because he is black. In case you are wondering, no, I'm not black. I am white. But racism is just as ignorant as the people who won't give ex felons a second chance.

If you don't think black cops and agents single out whites they don't like then you are living in dangerous ignorance, or you are nonwhite so it really does not matter to you. Reality for 2011 is that there are PLENTY of nonwhite cops out there who are on the "I got my badge so now it is payback time" on any white they can get over on. This is reality, in fact I recently figured out one of my black "friends" was actually working for the local PD and trying to set me up on a BS drug charge and I am not even a doper. Just keep an eye on the cop's career for a while, since they have this even more twisted than usual concept of how the system works or should work and usually get caught lying badly to make a case, which brings their other convictions into question. That was what happened with the whole Rampart scandal in LA in the 1990s. BTW, one of those ex-cops is now considered a primary shotcaller within the LA Bloods.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   16  17  18  19  20  21  22  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.