Advice on what to do after school.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

davidgriffith in Levittown, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

I'm currently in tenth grade at Bucks County Technical High School and in the Civil Engineering/ Land Surveying Program. I have a few questions about what to do after i graduate. I'm going to college for sure but don't know which one. It is between Penn State and Drexel. Another question is what degree should I get. Penn State and Drexel both offer dual degree programs, that is two degrees in 5 years. Penn State has a B.S. in surveying and civil engineering. Drexel has a B.S. and M.S. in civil engineering. What would be the better choice? I would be happy doing either of the two, but which one will let my have more job oppurtiunties and make me more money. And for chosing colleges money is no problem, parents taking care of that part of it for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Kennesaw, Georgia

88 months ago

I would choose Drexel chances are you will find a job in Engineering. Surveying may be non existent by then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

davidgriffith in Levittown, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Thanks for the advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

onlyme in Overland Park, Kansas

82 months ago

David Griffith in Levittown, Pennsylvania said: I'm currently in tenth grade at Bucks County Technical High School and in the Civil Engineering/ Land Surveying Program. I have a few questions about what to do after i graduate. I'm going to college for sure but don't know which one. It is between Penn State and Drexel. Another question is what degree should I get. Penn State and Drexel both offer dual degree programs, that is two degrees in 5 years. Penn State has a B.S. in surveying and civil engineering. Drexel has a B.S. and M.S. in civil engineering. What would be the better choice? I would be happy doing either of the two, but which one will let my have more job oppurtiunties and make me more money. And for chosing colleges money is no problem, parents taking care of that part of it for me.

For the love of God,DONT CHOOSE SURVEYING!!!!Ive done it for25 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

scsurveyor in turbeville, South Carolina

80 months ago

i agree with only me, recently registered, sad but true.....

one man's opinion in North Pole, Alaska

79 months ago

I have a B.S. Surveying ('02) from Penn State--excellent program, most of the skills that I use on a daily basis were gained from the first two years of the program, with the final two years diving a little deeper and being, I believe, a good prep for graduate school (didn't go, but others did). In contrast to Josh's comment ("Surveying may be non existent by then."), the need for Highly Qualified, Intelligent, Professional Land Surveyors has never been greater--and not only the need but the market demand. Depending on how much you are willing to travel, you can be making six figures within 5 years, if money is your primary motivation. If you are trying to balance a home life with your work, the pay in your first years will be less but still quite good if you are bright and motivated.

There are an increasing number of positions available at the "top" of the profession; that is, the professional end. There are fewer and fewer available at the "bottom" end of the profession (driving hubs, running a chainsaw). You obviously are not going to college to learn how to swing a hammer--you will have your pick of employment opportunities.

On another note: there are lots of interesting M.S. programs (many offering a research/teaching stipend) available in fields related to surveying--Hydrographic Science at USM, Geodesy at Ohio State, Geomatics Engineering at Purdue, U of F, and more. Your B.S. in Surveying is not a dead end academically, despite the fact that it probably is not on your guidance counselor's cheat sheet (what's on that sheet anyway? if I remember right it was school teacher, accountant, lawyer, etc...yawn)

Of course, you can't go wrong with CE at Drexel, either. But if you want to be a surveyor--study surveying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

whiteward in Oregon

77 months ago

Dual. Having a degree in two disciplines increases your success. Good luck.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.