Can a PLS please answer a question about charging a customer when a bill wasn't discussed?

Comments (3)

TJ in Factoryville, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

A local retired PLS has an old subdivision plan that is not recorded in the courthouse that I needed.

He said he would search for the plan and make a copy for me with no mention of charging me for the plan or search. He also talked about donating the plans to a local college since he is retired and no longer needs the plans. After hearing that, I assumed he would only charge me for a paper copy.

He said he couldn't find the plan so I found a copy myself. A couple weeks later, I received a call that he found the plan and I owe him $595.

Although money was never discussed, do I owe him for the plan or the time he spent searching for the plan? Thanks in advance.

david l mayne in Jefferson, Maryland

66 months ago

TJ in Factoryville, Pennsylvania said: A local retired PLS has an old subdivision plan that is not recorded in the courthouse that I needed.

He said he would search for the plan and make a copy for me with no mention of charging me for the plan or search. He also talked about donating the plans to a local college since he is retired and no longer needs the plans. After hearing that, I assumed he would only charge me for a paper copy.

He said he couldn't find the plan so I found a copy myself. A couple weeks later, I received a call that he found the plan and I owe him $595.

Although money was never discussed, do I owe him for the plan or the time he spent searching for the plan? Thanks in advance.

First if it was not recorded it is probably useless.
Second pay him for his time and research, you initiated the contract with your verbal request

MK in Henderson, Nevada

66 months ago

You might want to negociate a different price just for his time and paper copy, but I wouln't be quick to pay since there was no contract, or discussion of price for services. If he is retired is his license still valid or has he let it expire. If it's expired then he cant justify his time as a professional. $595 sounds like alot for what you got.

Personally I wouldnt pay more than $100.00

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.