Terminology

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Russian surveyor in Rostov-na-donu, Russia

55 months ago

Hello, colleagues!
I have a question for you here. I am a russian surveyor confused with surveying terminology in english. Could someone explaine me the difference between 'land survey' and 'real property survey'? Thank you for you help in advance.:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Harrison81 in Chicago, Illinois

50 months ago

Hello Russia,

Those are both general terms. There could be many types of "land surveys or real property surveys". ALTA, lot, subdivision, boundary, topographic, mortgage, and so on.

I have actually been to Russia several times, and have always been curious about land surveying in your country. I would be interested to hear from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Russian surveyor in Rostov-na-donu, Russia

50 months ago

Harrison81 in Chicago, Illinois said: Hello Russia,

Those are both general terms. There could be many types of "land surveys or real property surveys". ALTA, lot, subdivision, boundary, topographic, mortgage, and so on.

I have actually been to Russia several times, and have always been curious about land surveying in your country. I would be interested to hear from you.

Hello Harrison81!
Thank you for your answer, now it is more clear for me. In my turn, I have always been curious about land surveying in the USA and other countries. I would like to share my knowledge and experience in land surveying in Russia. Here is my email redneck2001@rambler.ru. I would be glad to here from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

geonerd in Apo

47 months ago

Hi Russian,
It's great to hear from our GLONASS colleagues:-) Land surveying in the USA, as is probably true in most places, encompasses a broad spectrum of skill sets. Every state in the US has a licensure requirement for anyone wanting to do cadastral surveying (aka real estate, boundary, etc). From there the requirements differ and the tasks you are allowed to do with your license differs. One example: I believe in Georgia a licensed surveyor can design drainage/holding ponds, but in Colorado (my home state) you must be a licensed engineer to do the design. All engineering specialties are covered under one engineering license except surveying, which is a separate licensure. Engineers don't want to be associated with the "applied science" part of their history. lol

I don't know if that helps at all, but gives you a little of the organization. I spent several hours over dinner in Italy talking with a surveyor. Actually, he and I talked through his son since we did not speak each other's language! It was a wonderful evening and I really enjoyed learning about surveying in other places.

Take care and happy surveying. May your precision be good, and your accuracy better.

landsurveyorsunited in Homosassa, Florida

36 months ago

Russian surveyor in Rostov-na-donu, Russia said: Hello, colleagues!
I have a question for you here. I am a russian surveyor confused with surveying terminology in english. Could someone explaine me the difference between 'land survey' and 'real property survey'? Thank you for you help in advance.:)

we happen to have a group for Russian Surveyors on Land Surveyors United which you might like to join here: landsurveyorsunited.com/group/surveyorsrussia and explore the network til your heart is content..

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.