Time layed off?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

jerimiahjohnson in riverton, Wyoming

79 months ago

Just curious I guess. Wondering how long alot of others have been out work for as it seems that our industry is in the dumpster for the most part. So If you gentlemen wouldnt mind posting a bit of your saga and how long. I'll start by saying I was laid off in May of 08 this puts me at 1.5 years now...My god. I have 16 years in the field 8 as Party Chief. I was in Tucson for the last 10. I have applied to what I can reasonably reach and whats out there is slim as we know an as I have a family and moving is expensive but nothing comes back. never thought Id ever be in this boat so long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Minot, North Dakota

76 months ago

You mentioned you have 16 yrs exp. 8 as a party chief. Are you now a PLS, or could you be? I have an opening in ND for a PLS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Patrick Check in Chicago, Illinois

75 months ago

jerimiah johnson in riverton, Wyoming said: Just curious I guess. Wondering how long alot of others have been out work for as it seems that our industry is in the dumpster for the most part. So If you gentlemen wouldnt mind posting a bit of your saga and how long. I'll start by saying I was laid off in May of 08 this puts me at 1.5 years now...My god. I have 16 years in the field 8 as Party Chief. I was in Tucson for the last 10. I have applied to what I can reasonably reach and whats out there is slim as we know an as I have a family and moving is expensive but nothing comes back. never thought Id ever be in this boat so long.

Ive been laid off your a year and 3 week. I have 10 years 8 as Party Chief. Here in Illinois it has not picked up. I

jimi in Valdosta, Georgia

75 months ago

Over 2 yrs. for me in the S.E. USA. Nothing doing in surveying. I left Pensacola to come be homeless in a small S. Ga. town. It's easier than a bigger city, though damn hard anywhere. There are thousands of a certain group that does'nt even speak English in this little town! If not for that, I expect there would be some jobs somewhere. I would say hang in there, but I'm suicidal myself. Good luck, though. Jimi

southernsurveyor in Vancleave, Mississippi

74 months ago

Guys and Gals, I have poured my heart, soul and every penny I have into this profession and until this past July it has never let me down, until now! I put my love for our profession ahead and in front of everything in my life. It has robbed me of time, money and now my family. I spent years getting the experience needed to perform my job with very, very few mistakes. Checking, re-checking and re-checking on top of that to insure what we were put on paper and in the ground was right. Our company went from 12 people down to 3 and now I am sorry to say none, in 9 short months. So now I set in an empty house, no money, no job and mounting debt. What has happened? Being a partner there is no unemployment for me to draw off of. I dont want to leave the area, because of my children. So what do you do? I have been praying and trying to stay positive, but I think the demonds are coming!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jimi in Stockbridge, Georgia

74 months ago

What happened? Try 12 million illegals taking the work in this country. Our "government" actually wants to give them amnesty. This country is hopelessly sick. 12,000,ooo is a government number. I expect it's a lot more than that. Even in a small S. Ga. town (where there's not a whole lot of work anyway) there are thousands that don't even speak English, yet you see them working all over. They're undercutting legal wages is what that is, and the employers should be crucified.
"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

xantics in Murrieta, California

74 months ago

I'm a local civil engineer looking for local surveyor/party chief that can work hourly for specific projects in Riverside County. Looking for a go to guy that is reliable/seasoned and can get it done on time. Most works involve field topography needed and sometimes parcel maps/final maps. Thank you.

unemployed surveyor in Bensalem, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

I may have you all beat; I have been out of work for over 3 years.
I have over 25 years experience, about 20 as a party chief.
If anybody is looking for an honest, loyal hard, working person in the Philadelphia, PA. Area please e-mail me at m3132c@yahoo.com

Jimi in Valdosta, Georgia

72 months ago

You ain't got me beat.

onlyme in Overland Park, Kansas

69 months ago

A year and a half. Im not going to say much more than that because it will all be repeat from what everyone has said. Good luck everyone. Oh BTW I did get a job doing pipeline surveys and it felt good to be back to work but our client shut down the 125 mile project.

John in Catonsville, Maryland

69 months ago

I have been out of work for about 2.5 years with nothing in sight. I am also wondering what other industries or jobs surveying folks have been moving to if any.....

Justin in Henderson, Nevada

69 months ago

I understand all of your heartaches. I have over 14 years of experience, I am a PLS in 2 states, and I have struggled to keep employment over the last 4 years. I went from being a survey manager in a successful engineering firm to struggling to find a party cheif job and now I am unemployed again. I lived away from my wife and kids for two years doing survey work out of state. That was very hard to see that my kids were growing up without me! Now Im back, but as is the case for the last 4 years, no opportunities. My only saving grace is that fact that my mortgage company modified my home loan and my wife manages to work. As for Land Surveying, I am seeking work in other industries. Ive reentered school with University of Phoenix and I am looking to get into some type of profession that actually earns me a living. I love the work as a Surveyor but I can't continue to commit to a profession that is this unstable!

69 months ago

I agree totally Justin. While I have been in surveying, I have experienced three or four "economic downturns" and I am tired of it. Though few industries are immune from recessions, I would certainly like something more stable.

What other industries are you actively looking into?

breezley in Saint Charles, Illinois

69 months ago

I been out of work for 1yr & 7 mths. Lic. in 2 states and can't find s&*% in this industry and have tried hard to the bone.
I don't think it going to get any better in the near future. When these criminal banksters gave every moron that made minimum wage a million dollar loan for a home and ..price soared as result...thus R.E. prices then must come back to reality (down and way down) for this industry to get back on it's feet. R.E. will move again at that point when it's truly becomes affordable, but could take some time.
Mean time, I put both my Licences on inactive status ( No Con't Ed, No Lic.Fees, Nice!) Here in Illinois you can stay inactive for up to 5 yrs. I would suggest this everyone unemployed. Always can re-up anytime. Why pay these con't ed and Lic. boards when you not practicing?
Tomorrow have an interview for a tow truck driver and will be happy with it ( no recession there, someone is always wrapping their car around a tree).

** For you single guy's, Raytheon is hiring for I think for 6 month and 1 yr contracts at a time for work in the antarctic ( bring your fur lined jock strap). Watch the movie " Eight Below" would probably give you a good flavor of the situation. My wife told me if I went, I could stay there permanantly with the penguins, plus I have a sick parent. Otherwise, 20 years ago, I'd be there..only if they did a weekly beer drop.

www.rayjobs.com/index.cfm?NavID=103

Good Luck
P.S. I been in this industry a long time. When the 79' - 82' recession was over, only a few surveyors were standing. When it opened up, they were ready to rock and rocked they did...stay strong!!

Forced N. Retirement, PLS in Macungie, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

It will be 2 1/2 years since I've seen a paycheck from the surveying industry after being with my last consulting engineering co. for 21 yrs. There seems to be no where to go with surveying skills and experience. The work I have found has been through temp-agencies who believe working your ass-off for 12 bucks / hr. is fair. And these world known packaging companies are at the same pay scale while demanding a work-rate of 160 items mailed an hour or they have the temp-agent cut you loose (I suspect prisoners have it better). Companies use these temp-agencies to keep sending more and more new employees while letting-go the recent ones before they have to cover for insurance or until they find their Superman. Goodbye middle-class!!!!

Mike in Cranford, New Jersey

64 months ago

What states are you licensed in? I'm looking for help in NJ. e-mail me.. Mike@mjschwartz.com

Mike

Forced N. Retirement, PLS in Macungie, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Mike, I am licensed only in PA and located in Emmaus,PA

Frank in Laurel, Mississippi

59 months ago

I've been surveying for over 30 years. I'm too far along to try and change professions.

59 months ago

Must I "create a profile" to remark?

59 months ago

I was always told that if you got your license you could "write your own ticket". That has not been the case in this economy. I've been licensed for almost three years, and haven't stamped anything.

59 months ago

An old boss of mine (licensed) was kicked to the curb after 20 plus years at the same company. He came in one day (Christmas week of 2010) and was told to go home, that he did not have a job any more.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.