Are land surveyor job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 265)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most land surveyor opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Erick Bonner in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

Well, I don't know about up north but here in Texas it seems that there is always a survey job available. The sad part is that due to our proximity to our southern border pay rates haven't increased for field crews in a long time. Its funny though, the cost of a survey sure has went up a lot. I guess that maybe that's because a lot people think that they can teach anyjuan to push a button on a data collector. It's a shame that they can't teach them why they're pushing that button and math behind it...food for thought

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Owen

67 months ago

California is out! At least Southern California, I would forget it until the economy picks back up. I went from 110hr avg per paycheck(2 weeks) down to around 58hrs. My company went from 14 crews down to 5 crews, and they are still slow job-wise. I've since moved to NC and I am trying my luck there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Erick Bonner in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

Since my last post I was laid off two months later and there is nothing in Houston at all. In 22 years of surveying I've never went three days without work and now find myself four months into unemployment...any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

David Griffith in Levittown, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

My neighbor has been laid off now for almost a year now. You ask the company he worked for and they didn't have any work. You ask my engineering teacher who owns his own buisness and he says that there are quite a few jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MARK "DOGGNATLANTA@AOL.COM" SEARLE

61 months ago

I WORKEN FOR A SURVEY COMPANY HERE JUST NORTH OF ATLANTA FOR 11 1/2 YEARS AND I HAVE WATCHED MANY SURVEY CO. GO OUT OF BUSSINESS IN THE LAST 5 YEARS . I WAS LAST ONE TO BE LAID OFF JANUARY 2nd,09 BECAUSE OF " NO WORK " IN GEORGIA AND IM AFRAID THERE WONT BE MUCH WORK FOR A FEW YEARS TO COME

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Erick Bonner in Katy, Texas

59 months ago

Well...sad to say this but since I last posted my comment here I have been out of work for the last six months....in the twenty two years that I have been surveying I have never been out of work more than a week, more less had to collect unemployment. The really sad part is that I haven't even found places to send resumes to in other states. Texas is dead, that is, unless your a vulture living off the corpses of foreclosures. Hope it's going well elsewhere, I may have to be wherever elsewhere is before long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Chino, California

59 months ago

I have been surveying for 25 years and i was laid off in Jan. To go from making $36.00 An hour to $450.00 A week is very hard. I hope it picks up soon. Does anyone know any jobs in California?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Pompano Beach, Florida

59 months ago

I just got a job in martin county,fl it only pays 15 an hour and I only work 32 hours a week, but for the past 3 weeks I've been staking buildings, form boards, setting prop. cors.I'm even laying out a big baseball park I do believe that things are picking up. So, please hang in there everyone I was out of work for 2 years untill I got this job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Chino, California

59 months ago

I am but it is hard i would even take something like you have for 15 or 20 an hour but i can't even find that. It is bad. I would even relocate. If you know of anything let me know katt1974@yahoo.com thanks for replying. Mike

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

maryghump in gulfport, Mississippi

59 months ago

My husband and I and kids moved to Gulfport ms 3 years ago and thought we had it made. Making good money company truck gas card then wham! My husband was laid off the first of May. Going from 24.00 to 225.00 a week is awful.
And it is starting to get scary there is noone hiring here in MS. We are trying to stay in this area as our sons are in their JR. year and i dont want to move them again.
He is a Crew Chief and has been surveying for 25 years and I am afraid he might have to go into a different field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

billft67 in Baghdad in Leeds, United Kingdom

59 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Erick Bonner in Katy, Texas

59 months ago

Bill, not sure if you were following what she said there, but I don't know too many career party chiefs that have the time, with children, to get a bachelor of science in enginnering, and if they did why they would still be surveying. Because that link that you just kind of randomly threw out there to a person in surveying was a link to an intern position for an engineering undergraduate. Not to be an ass or go on a rant, but did you read that before you sent it? Or does everyone that has never surveyed before assume that all field personel are college educated and that's why we choose to spend our work days doing all the dirty jobs that the college boys could never do? I'm just saying...think before you give someone a glimmer of hope just for them to find out it was misguided and misinformed, and oh yeah, don't ever assume that just because an individual is not college educated that they might not be able to verbally lash you without needing to be foul!

Keep your chin up Mary, y'all didn't come this far just for it to end abruptly. Hope is the main factor in a positive attitude and it shows in everything that you do. Potential employers can smell desperation like fresh cut grass, don't "Take one for the team" or as I like to say don't give up a minute before the miracle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

billft67 in Baghdad, Iraq

59 months ago

Thanks for chiding me for trying to help...Erick.

My apologies Mary. I got busy and wasn't able to continue my search for you.

These may help some of you others too.

Anyway,
Here are some other things to look at.

surveyingjobs.jobamatic.com/a/jbb/find-jobs

www.flipdog.com/jobs/mississippi/surveyor/

www.jobsource.info/jobs.asp?jobquery=Land+Surveyor&location=US&limit=50

www.constructionjobsly.com/-3/posts/36_Construction_Jobs_G/200_Land_Surveying/

59 months ago

Thank you Erick and Bill. Most of the time I do keep my chin up but sometimes worry comes sneaking up behind me. We have had to use his 401k and to catch up on bills we had gotten behind on and it isnt very much.
I am hoping to stay in this area for my teens.
One of the resumes he sent out might have sent a little nibble yesterday, keeping fingers crossed!
ANd it is hard not to sound desperate and call 100 times.

billft67 in Baghdad, Iraq

59 months ago

You are welcome Mary.

I like to help people. I hope some of those links is able to help some of you other fella's too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Trisha in Lubbock, Texas

59 months ago

I am right with you there Mary. My husband has been Surveying for 15 yrs. He got laid off in Jan and still has not found anything. I am on the computer almost all day applying to companies. Even companies that are not hiring. We are starting to sink and I am so worried. My husband is depressed and so am I. We have never been in this situation. I will be thinking and praying for everyone who is looking.
(Thanks for those web sites above.)
Trisha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jcostello in Independence, Missouri

59 months ago

up here in missouri theres squat was working pipeline got in that 11/2yr ago when local stuff got really slow lots of places shut doors. texas and their oil doesnt have anything down there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Folex in Laguna Niguel, California

58 months ago

I'm in So Cal and was laid off in December. Can't find a job, don't know when it will pick up again. My wife is depressed and we are so far in dept I won't be able to get out I don't think. At this point we don't know what to do. I cant find a job that even pays as well as unemployment. I try to keep my spirits up and pray every day. I just don't know how to keep my wife's spirits up anymore.Good Luck to all. Email if anyone has any news JeffreyWRoberts@msn.com

Richard in Pompano Beach, Florida

58 months ago

Things are getting worse and worse, as far as I can tell. I previously was an owner/partner in a large Miami Eng./Surv./Environ. firm for 9 years and have owned a second company (strictly doing Surveying) for the last 12 years, in Palm Beach County. The industry is in a state of collapse due to: an 80-100% reduction in housing starts (depending on the National Builder), GPS technology (idiot surveyors that give work away below cost just to get work and then pay the crew or subcontracted crew a substandard wage often with no benefits), illegal surveying practices (not setting corners to save costs, finding old timers that will stamp and seal anything put before them, engineers doing the necessary "evil" of surveying and that is a marriage made in hell so engineers can say they have full service and thence undercut cost to the detriment of the profession, unlicensed surveyors working as subcontracted crews, mortgage survey crews that don't use surveying instruments often, stealing of other surveyors copyrighted material, satellite offices without mandatory state licensed LS, and so on). Currently most employment is down an equal value, in percent, due to the drop in construction starts, that is 80-90% layoffs. I've fired all my personal (12 people over the last 18 months) save one person, and as a company may not survive the year. Two (Eng./Surv.) firms I have occasionally partnered with on projects in the past went out of business. Large builders like Lennar, DR Horton, Engle, Toll Brothers, Centex, Pulte, etc... have experience equal percentage drops in personal (80-90%). Currently the profession allows too much unlicensed activity and unregulated violations of the Min. Tech. Standards and the Fl. Board has no idea how to re-establish any control of this profession, and is as ignorant as it is unconcerned. If you are thinking about a career in surveying? Don't, do yourself a favor and do something else.

mike in Pompano Beach, Florida

58 months ago

I'am working 20 to 30 hours a week,but I had to take an 8 dollar an hour pay cut compared to what I made in Las Vegas, NV . I surveyed in south florida for 11 years before moving to Las Vegas in 2003. When,I moved there I was so surprised by how organized they were,for example Las Vegas has free community gps bases all over the valley it's just a matter of going to your local survey supply place and having them down load the frequency's into your receiver and getting a map of there base locations.

Richard,your right surveying is not what I remember it to be from 17 years ago.So, in 2 more month's I'm take my certified personal train exam and if I pass I hope to move back to vegas and get out of this rat hole state called florida. I'm leaving it with those nasty new yorker's that have seemed to take over and ruin my native state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PB in Chula Vista, California

58 months ago

mike in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I'am working 20 to 30 hours a week,but I had to take an 8 dollar an hour pay cut compared to what I made in Las Vegas, NV . I surveyed in south florida for 11 years before moving to Las Vegas in 2003. When,I moved there I was so surprised by how organized they were,for example Las Vegas has free community gps bases all over the valley it's just a matter of going to your local survey supply place and having them down load the frequency's into your receiver and getting a map of there base locations.

Richard,your right surveying is not what I remember it to be from 17 years ago.So, in 2 more month's I'm take my certified personal train exam and if I pass I hope to move back to vegas and get out of this rat hole state called florida. I'm leaving it with those nasty new yorker's that have seemed to take over and ruin my native state.

I just left Vegas and there's no work at all. What there is, is being done by 1man shows with no overhead. Working out of your garage is much cheaper to hire than the $170 hr field crew.

charlie in Marysville, Michigan

57 months ago

Paul in Marysville, Michigan said: Geographic location is key. In California, for instance, it's wide open. It's as though that state is an entirely different country, certainly boasting it's own economy.
Back in the God-foresaken state of Michigan...we're at the other end of the spectrum. No growth, no economical stimulous, and no improvement on the horizon.
Go west!

hey Paul i see your a fellow land surveyor in Marysville. Just seeing how things are going for you lately. I was just recently let go from Spalding DeDecker and Associates in Rochester hills. Your right though surveying is a dying buisnes here in Michigan. Even a lot of other states are the samw way anymore.

TH in Atlanta, Georgia

57 months ago

I'm from Atlanta and had my own construction staking business that the economy killed. In the last twenty years I have worked for three other firms that are either out of business or the owner goes to work alone and prays for the phone to ring. I wish it were just unlicensed practices and an ignorant board here, but it is just a plain lack of survey work to be done. Thank you Mr. bush for allowing rampant greed to ruin our economy and thank you Mr. Obama for allowing rampant ignorance to make sure it stays in the dumper for the forseeable future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PD in Thame, United Kingdom

57 months ago

Here in the UK is was bad for about 5 months but now it's really picked up. I'm busier than ever having been on afour day week until May this year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patrick in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

I have been attending school in Orange County, CA to become a land surveyor. Given what I've experienced as well as reading the above posts, it seems that no relief is going to be in sight anytime in the near future. My timing is off as usual!

Anyone have an idea of when the economy will turn around and I'll have a chance to break into the industry? It would nice to hear something positive for a change!

PB in Chula Vista, California

57 months ago

TH in Atlanta, Georgia said: I'm from Atlanta and had my own construction staking business that the economy killed. In the last twenty years I have worked for three other firms that are either out of business or the owner goes to work alone and prays for the phone to ring. I wish it were just unlicensed practices and an ignorant board here, but it is just a plain lack of survey work to be done. Thank you Mr. bush for allowing rampant greed to ruin our economy and thank you Mr. Obama for allowing rampant ignorance to make sure it stays in the dumper for the forseeable future.

Hey TH, if you remember that Clinton wanted "A house for every american". Bush did not start this mess.

Good Luck.

Erick in Houston, Texas

57 months ago

Patrick in LA, my response to you is this. In texas it requires a four year degree to become an RPLS, now if I had a four year degree in anything why would I become a Land Surveyor? At one time being a land surveyor was considered a noble profession, hell three out of presidents on mount rushmore were surveyors, but in this age of "We can have one man do what it used to take four to do" where the person pushing the buttons on that GPS unit probably couldn't mathmatically solve his way out of paper bag and just barely speaks english tell me where that nobility now lies. I would get a degree in damn forestry before surveying. And PB in Chula...yor exactly right, who do you think got rid of surveyors in the NGS...Clinton. Everybody wants to blame all this on Bush, while I agree Bush was not a smart man the situation we're in now is continuation of what we started in the eighties where we all want to have everything. What ever happened to working hard and nothing that was worth having ever came easy. I'll tell you what happened, it was given up to a bunch of button pushing, brainless idiots who were willing to come in and cut their coworkers throat by taking 25% less pay because they were living 20 people to a house and still had it better than where they came from. God help us all if think that Obamas spend more theory is going to get us out of a irrisponsible spending crisis.....just saying...good luck on that career in surveying. P.S. I've been surveying 22 years and party chief wages aint changed much...only more profit for the big guys!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

maryghump

57 months ago

My husband is finally working. Had to take a cut from what he was making before and works out of town 10 days on and 5 off but hey its a job and he likes the company.
The only reason he got this job is because he worked with a guy that worked with him before. This is the only place that even called after many resumes sent out, since May.

Kathie in Chino, California

57 months ago

My husband has been a land survetor for 28 years. He has not worked since Jan. It really sucks. So good luck with your school hopefully things will turn around soon.

name in Hightstown, New Jersey

57 months ago

Fran in Mount Laurel, New Jersey said: Nothing in Jersey. At least not south anyway I was laid off from a fortune 400 company in 2/08 and still haven't found steady work!

Hey Fran, Same here in central jersey. Been layed off since Nov. 08. I was
instrument man for 30 yrs. Looked on line and other companies want in expierenced
I-mans, 2-4 yrs. Sounds like age discrimination to me !!

Sean in Mount Clemens, Michigan

57 months ago

Erick Bonner in Katy, Texas said: Bill, not sure if you were following what she said there, but I don't know too many career party chiefs that have the time, with children, to get a bachelor of science in enginnering, and if they did why they would still be surveying. Because that link that you just kind of randomly threw out there to a person in surveying was a link to an intern position for an engineering undergraduate. Not to be an ass or go on a rant, but did you read that before you sent it? Or does everyone that has never surveyed before assume that all field personel are college educated and that's why we choose to spend our work days doing all the dirty jobs that the college boys could never do? I'm just saying...think before you give someone a glimmer of hope just for them to find out it was misguided and misinformed, and oh yeah, don't ever assume that just because an individual is not college educated that they might not be able to verbally lash you without needing to be foul!

Keep your chin up Mary, y'all didn't come this far just for it to end abruptly. Hope is the main factor in a positive attitude and it shows in everything that you do. Potential employers can smell desperation like fresh cut grass, don't "Take one for the team" or as I like to say don't give up a minute before the miracle.

Well said Erik, I've been surveying for 13 years and the bad news of getting laid off for the first time finally got to me a few months a go. Its been an absolute struggle in Michigan and I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel

Erick in Houston, Texas

57 months ago

Sean, believe me I feel the same desperation you do, I've been unemployed since October and my wife since January, but my point is this, my happiness is not dependant on my financial well being. While sure it helps, if it is the only thing in my life that I derive happiness from then I would find myself hopeless. There hasn't been an ad in the newspaper, internet or anywhere else in the Houston area for five months and I have a list of about 175 companys that I have called or sent resumes to at least 20 times each, so yeah, I guess you could say that it would be justifyable for me to assume the "no light at the end of the tunnel" feeling, but hell while I'm at it why don't I just put a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger or go try to sell my body for money (not that its worth much). NO I prefer to have hope and faith, because even if I don't find something and we lose our house and become homeless I will not make my family suffer through me being deppressed, selfish and having a case of the poor me's. Just a difference in perception I guess...my glass will always be half full...I wish good things for you Sean I hope you find what it is that your looking for the most.

56 months ago

Well things were looking up but the company that my husband works for got fired from the job they were doing in texas so it was back to Baton Rouge and they may not be able to use him so he may get laid off again.

Rick in Oceanside, California

56 months ago

I'm in California, it's dead in this state from the north to the south. Not one company is hiring and I'm even have a hard time finding a job period. I don't know about you, but I'd give up on all that California Dreaming. This is a nationwide catastrophy. It's the old banking fat cats that are causing this. they get a bail-out and the trickle down economics aren't trickling down. They're just grabbing all the cash and hording it for themselves. Haven't you noticed your credit card APR's are going up and what was fixed rates are now variable.

FRANK in Manhasset, New York

55 months ago

16 year surveyor in Pompano Beach, Florida said: there's a small company in garden city,ny (long Island)called john ferrantello p.c.,and there looking for 1 party chief and one instrument operator.You have to take a 1 day test and be able to use a trimble gun, trimble software and survey old school.The guy is a ###### but he has alot of work his guys working there now work 7 days a week. Also,he pays every week on monday.Remember,what I said he can be a ###### I couldn't take his #### so I left,but I did pass his hard test.Anyway,his son's name is frank that's who you talk to his cell number is .I hope it works out for someone who can take the crap.I did you guys a favor if you know of anything in florida,arizona,or las vegas let me know. Merry Christmas to someone who needs the job.

FIRST OFF I WAS ONLY ACCEPTING LOCAL APPLICANTS AND THIS SO CALLED PARTY CHEIF FROM VEGAS WAS BEGGING ME FOR AN OPPURTUNITY HE SAID HE WAS MOVING BACK IN TOWN WITH HIS SISTER HE THEN SHOWS UP THREE WEEKS LATER WITH NO TRANSPORTATION AND NO ROOM OR BOARD I PICK HIM UP AND HE CANT EVEN SET UP AN INSTRUMENT IN 10 MINUTES HE FINALLY FIGURED OUT HOW TO IMPUT DATA IN TO A TRIMBLE DATA COLLECTOR THAT IS JUST ABOUT EASY AS IT GETS AND MESSED UP EVERY JOB I GAVE HIM AND MIXED UP ,POINTS, TRAVERSVE POINTS AND LOST PAPER WORK IN SOME FILES I THANKED HIM AND SENT HIM HOME EARLY BECAUSE HE WAYS A LIAR AND TRIED TO CALL HIMSELF A PARTY CHEIF WHICH IS DISRESPECTFUL TO ACTUAL PARTY CHEIF'S AND SURVEYORS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Andy in Palm Desert, California

55 months ago

Folex in Laguna Niguel, California said: I'm in So Cal and was laid off in December. Can't find a job, don't know when it will pick up again. My wife is depressed and we are so far in dept I won't be able to get out I don't think. At this point we don't know what to do. I cant find a job that even pays as well as unemployment. I try to keep my spirits up and pray every day. I just don't know how to keep my wife's spirits up anymore.Good Luck to all. Email if anyone has any news JeffreyWRoberts@msn.com

Same here pal, went from 15 hrs a day to 20 hrs a month! It's bad!! Don't let it get to you. will e-mail you w/ job info

55 months ago

FRANK in Manhasset, New York said: FIRST OFF I WAS ONLY ACCEPTING LOCAL APPLICANTS AND THIS SO CALLED PARTY CHEIF FROM VEGAS WAS BEGGING ME FOR AN OPPURTUNITY HE SAID HE WAS MOVING BACK IN TOWN WITH HIS SISTER HE THEN SHOWS UP THREE WEEKS LATER WITH NO TRANSPORTATION AND NO ROOM OR BOARD I PICK HIM UP AND HE CANT EVEN SET UP AN INSTRUMENT IN 10 MINUTES HE FINALLY FIGURED OUT HOW TO IMPUT DATA IN TO A TRIMBLE DATA COLLECTOR THAT IS JUST ABOUT EASY AS IT GETS AND MESSED UP EVERY JOB I GAVE HIM AND MIXED UP ,POINTS, TRAVERSVE POINTS AND LOST PAPER WORK IN SOME FILES I THANKED HIM AND SENT HIM HOME EARLY BECAUSE HE WAYS A LIAR AND TRIED TO CALL HIMSELF A PARTY CHEIF WHICH IS DISRESPECTFUL TO ACTUAL PARTY CHEIF'S AND SURVEYORS

I got 25 years surveying, hire me! andy_lesher@yahoo.com

55 months ago

At least you guys have actual work experience. I've been trying to break into the field to no avail. I suspect that if things turn around, they'll likely want the experienced staff first before bringing on the newbies like me, so I'll doubtless have a much longer wait on my hands. I try not to let it get me down. I continue to take my surveying classes at the local college and I try to do productive things like volunteer (who knows, maybe I'll run into someone who can help me out) and workout. If anything, once I'm hired, I'll be a darned good physical condition!

55 months ago

Patrick in Los Angeles, California said: At least you guys have actual work experience. I've been trying to break into the field to no avail. I suspect that if things turn around, they'll likely want the experienced staff first before bringing on the newbies like me, so I'll doubtless have a much longer wait on my hands. I try not to let it get me down. I continue to take my surveying classes at the local college and I try to do productive things like volunteer (who knows, maybe I'll run into someone who can help me out) and workout. If anything, once I'm hired, I'll be a darned good physical condition!

Try going to a union if one is in your area.

FRANK in Manhasset, New York

55 months ago

fred in Glendale, Arizona said: I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS POSTED BAD THINGS ABOUT YOU HEAR AND I WAS HIRED AS AN INSTRUMENT OPERATOR AND HAVE 17 YEARS OF REFERENCES WHO WILL SAY I'M AN EXCELLENT INSTRUMENT OPERATOR. YOU SHOULD KNOW YOU CHECKED THEM,FRANK.Also, I was hired as an i-man not a party chief and my former boss told you that.I guess this is why you can't keep people in your employment.Even,one of your own employees said that you most have gone through 60 people in 2 months time and I bet you never paid them either.
i

First off you better watch your tone, bottom line what you said you were and what you could do as junior party chief or an I man for 17 years was not reflected in the work , and then every job I gave you got messed up or was less than I asked for. I told you not to be nervous and take your time, no pressure. I’m sorry for the way you feel. If I felt I was wrong I would not even bother with this forum. One of the first things I told you I have allot of work because of my reputation. I work rain or shine and 7 days a week and always fair with people, surveys which is the work we do is not about us it about the people making the biggest investment they will ever make, need to protect them and the survey is the most important thing, millions of dollars of liability rest on our shoulders as surveyors. I am young and diligent but not arrogant. I am looking for the best of the best so yah I have interviewed 100's of people to work with me not for me that the type of person I am.Dont ever say I might of never paid them that’s wrong and you know it. My father has been a great surveyor for 50 years how dare you slander his name and our professionalism . All these companies that are big chop shops with HR departments they step on people all day long and abuse power dont knock a family firm like us. Go out get you license and add to the profession dont take away from it. I did not appreciate your phone call after you left. This is the

55 months ago

Hi Frank -

I know that you are looking for experienced help. I am only a student and am presently taking classes, but I do not have any prior field experience. If there is ever an entry-level position in your company, I hope that you'll consider me for that role. There has been no hiring activity for entry-level people here in California, and I'd be willing to travel at my own expense. I would really like to gain some hands-on experience in this profession.

FRANK in Huntington Station, New York

55 months ago

To be honest things are really tight I really need someone with alot of local experience we really need to get the job done and out as fast and as accurately as possible with no hiccups. Please do send you resume to my email or post in the response and that way I can take a look and also you might get lucky with someone on this forum
It cant hurt right thank you.

55 months ago

FRANK in Huntington Station, New York said: To be honest things are really tight I really need someone with alot of local experience we really need to get the job done and out as fast and as accurately as possible with no hiccups. Please do send you resume to my email or post in the response and that way I can take a look and also you might get lucky with someone on this forum

Hi Frank, My name is Andy and I can be there soon. Please e-mail me at andy_lesher@yahoo.com I don't have your e-mail or fax #. I have 25 years in the field doing everything from segmental bridges to custom homes.

55 months ago

FRANK in Huntington Station, New York said: To be honest things are really tight I really need someone with alot of local experience we really need to get the job done and out as fast and as accurately as possible with no hiccups. Please do send you resume to my email or post in the response and that way I can take a look and also you might get lucky with someone on this forum

Hi Frank - I didn't see your email address, but I will happily post my resume on this forum for future consideration:

Patrick Unrein
patrickunrein@dslextreme.com

SUMMARY:
• Seeking into an entry-level position in land surveying
• Strong work ethic, flexible schedule
• Fast learner—“whatever it takes” to get the job done!

EDUCATION:
• Pursuing Associate’s Degree in Land Surveying, Santiago Canyon College, Orange, CA (8/08 – present)
• Master of Music in Voice, University of Missouri--Kansas City (1993)
• Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance, Benedictine College, Atchison, KS (1990)

AFFILIATIONS:

Student Member, California Land Surveyors Association (CLSA) – State, Orange County, and School chapters

SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS:
• CLSA/Robert J. Lung & Associates 11/08
• CSLA Education Foundation 3/09

SURVEYING CLASSES:

Plane Surveying, Santiago Canyon College, Orange CA 8/08 – 12/08
Eduardo Capalaran, PLS, Instructor
Topics covered:
• Introduction to survey measurements, distance, taping measurements and corrections (incorrect tape lengths; slope, sag, tension, and temperature correction formulas)
• Differential leveling
• Curvature and refraction
• Direction (bearing/azimuth), magnetic declination, and angular measurements
• Traversing, electronic distance measurement.
• Global positioning system (GPS)
• Extensive Trig*Star trigonometry study (computer lab)

Field classes:
• Pacing measurements
• Determining obstructed distance with tape
• Breaking tape
• Testing and adjusting level

55 months ago

Frank - It appears that this forum only allows a limited amount of verbiage, but if you'd like to email me at patrickunrein@dslextreme.com, I can offer you a more complete resume.

Thanks,
Patrick

55 months ago

Hi Frank, e-mail me at andy_lesher@yahoo.com, I can send you a resume with 25 years working in the field.
Thanks Andy

scsurveyor in turbeville, South Carolina

55 months ago

i am a recently registered surveyor in S.C., there has been hardly any work since the latter part of 2007, trying to stay positive but wondering what will happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

M.I.Keefe in Wilmette, Illinois

55 months ago

I am glad that I found this site! I have been laid off since the beginning of April and have searched for jobs located anywhere in the entire state of Illinois, most of Missouri, Nashville, Tennessee, and Milwaukee, WI; from what I can see there are little to no jobs out there.

Patrick Unrein – I am glad to hear from you, because I too went to school for surveying. I graduated from Southern Illinois University Carbondale 12/07, took and passed the Fundamentals of Surveying Exam 10/08 and then got laid off 3/09. But I have hope, and so should you.

Good Luck to everyone else searching for jobs. It is a rough economy, and we need each other’s support! Thank you to everyone that took the time to post.

- Maggie

55 months ago

Thanks, Maggie. It's always great to hear from positive people!

I don't know about you, but I am doing everything I can to network, and that includes going so far as to offer up my time and assist a professionally licensed surveyor for free. I recognize that all the education and theory in the world doesn't matter without getting some bonafide field experience under my belt. I also recognize that when hiring starts back up again (presumably sometime in 2010?), employers will likely want to hire the more experienced technicians before turning to an entry-level person like myself.

I also plan on testing for the LSIT in April 2010. Other than that, I am getting myself as physically fit as possible (I'm a bit older than 20 years old, so I don't want there to be a question of my ability to lug around heavy equipment), and trying to maintain a positive attitude.

Hopefully the wait will end soon! Thanks again for your positive outlook.

P.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.