Background Checks....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

legallyblondetxn in Dallas, Texas

89 months ago

Okay...so I have been a Paralegal in the State of Texas (Dallas) for over ten (10) years now, my boss lost his temper with me and fired me in December and I have been looking ever since. I have been on several really good interviews, that I was just sure would lead to an offer. No such luck. The only thing that I can sermise is that they have done a background check and determined that my credit is less than it should be. I went through a divorce in 1999, and it is now 2008. I would think that after more than 7 years...my credit score would be better. And anyway...employers know things happen that are out of our control...right? And, what diff does it make...I am very good at my job.

I have not been in the job-seekers market in years, but how can they hold my credit against me and not see that my experience and education more than outweight my dings on credit. I have never ever been arrested/conviction of any felony, I have only ever gotten minor traffic tickets. My second thought was that my ex-boss is "bad-mouthing" me. I was working 50-60 hour weeks (with no overtime pay) and I addressed it with him, and that is when he got defensive, lost his temper and that is when he fired me.

Honestly, how can my credit get any better without a job? I mean really! AND...is my old boss telling lies about me?

If you have any suggestions for me PLEASE let me know. I am open for any suggestions, and getting a little anxious...

Thank You!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

deansuraci in Cornwall On Hudson, New York

89 months ago

Hi,

Have a really good friend of yours call up your boss pretending to be an employer. She/he should ask typical work questions about your performance on the job and other such things. If your friend gets negative answers from your ex-boss then you know it wasn't your credit. I believe it's against the law for an employer to bad-mouth a former worker, you might have a case for legal action.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

The real problem is that if a potential employer calls your ex-boss to see what kind of worker you were and he doesn't say anything negative about you, he just basically says no comment to the potential employer except to tell them your dates of employment and salary - even though he has said nothing negative the caller can tell that there is something wrong because of his unwillingness to talk about you and your work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Can you go to your ex-boss, and try to bury the hachett. Tell him you are presently looking for work and you would appreciate a reference. If you worked for him for many years and this was the only "problem" with him I don't see why he wouldn't give you one. If this doesn't work try burying the hachett in him. Life ain't easy.

89 months ago

I also believe that you can check your own credit. There are 3 main credit reporting agencies that I believe do it for free. You probably can google more info on this. Good Luck!!! It stinks being out of work, don't it? Someone once said, " You've never really been truly employed.......until you've been unemployed".

89 months ago

I gotta say, why o why are most bosses incompetent and just plain lousy? And who promoted them in the first place? (I think I spelled incomp.... correcttly).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

As crazy as it sounds, maybe you should just tell the interviewer when they ask why you left your last employer - tell them the truth, that you were fired. That you did good solid work for such and such length of time but you were fired - and explain why. Maybe they will appreciate your honesty. You know, believe it or not alot of people ( and famous people too ) have been fired from their jobs. Shi_ Happens, in Texas too.

legallyblondetxn in Dallas, Texas

89 months ago

Thank you so much for your thoughts...it is sooo frustrating. And...based on what you said, sounds like that you have "been there, done that." Meaning that all of the things you were saying...was what I was thinking...thank you!

Appreciate your sharing your thoughts...

Silverstone in Ransom, Illinois

84 months ago

I've benn in this situation too, with an attorney, only I walked out on him, no notice, although it was planned. I've worked for attorneys for about 12 years, up until I met this fruitcake. He was your typical bully boss, and yes, didn't pay me for OT but would BILL the client, yeah, I did the billings, if that was not salt added to the wounds. Later I learned he had suffered in a car accident 20 odd years earlier, alcohol/drugs, brain damage, a small private firm picked him up out of "political/family" connections (unbenown to me) and sheltered him for 20 years before they kicked him out of their firm and he started his own where I walked into the beeh's hive. He would have mood changes by the minute and was not just verbally abusive but psychologically and mentally as well. I don't do the victim well. I had the same problem with the reference check but did explain to one company "psychologist" (yes had to go through that for job) what actually happened, I was truthful, but very professional (non emotional, stuck to facts) about the incidents. She said she would have quit too. Look, at this point, you have nothing to lose by telling the truth, just be VERY careful how you frame it, be clever, state that Mr. X violated the terms of your employment contract (don't go into the details) and when you addressed this grievance you were fired, it can be as simple as that, and then state you were disappointed in how it turned out, you expected to resolve it on a positive note and were shocked, then move on to something positive right away. Try to bury the negative in the MIDDLE of the interview, not at the start, not at the end. Good Luck Dear, I KNOW what you are going through.

KR Sternberg in New York, New York

84 months ago

I also don't think it's the credit problem. I've has less than great credit & that was NOT the issue I'd even consider contacting my State Dept. of Labor & reporting this guy for not paying you the overtime you worked which is ILLEGAL. Maybe you can even commence an action for back pay. I'm not usually one to suggest legal action, but this guy sounds like maybe he deserves it.

Good luck (personally, I'm working hardest to get out of legal altogether myself).

LegalSec in Manasquan, New Jersey

81 months ago

How to address this well i think is best said by Silverstone in IL. Thank you for the excellant advice. I have had an attorney get caught in billing issues, so he had to eliminate the uncertified,not sister who knew nothing about billing. and more recently,a boss who had no procedures, but made the up per case, per situation. lied to me about a dep she adj. made multiple grammatical changes, only to end up back where she began. would not return call to other attorneys unless she initiated. left every single response, opposition,etc to the day it was due, sometimes at 1pm upon my return from lunch. lost files and then tore up the office. instead of doing initial reports, she made the same lists again and again. refused to let me do my job, the admin part of a law office. did so many big things without telling me. repeatedly (for 4 days)insisted a date was another even after she was provided with an email from the source! her mother has been 'trying' to get a nursing job for 8 years..comes in to fax letter resumes and messes up the fax every time. had to use an old malfuncitoning fax machine to make copies of pleadings for one month! demanded i deliver personal items to her father (partner never in the office). took files apart without putting back..dissappeared. took mail before i could log it..got it back two weeks later..adjourned everything when at all possible. insisted i call the court about a procedure i knew.send letters making little sense to adversary counsel. never followed up phone calls with confirming letters; settled a case without addressing fees and then whined because adversary counsel demanded fees.
no set rules. got let go when a rule never followed before suddenly and without telling me....not even a court rule or procedure.
i have set up my own contract legal support service..until that takes off i think i will clean houses!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

never ending in Concord, North Carolina

81 months ago

legallyblondetxn in Dallas, Texas said: Okay...so I have been a Paralegal in the State of Texas (Dallas) for over ten (10) years now, my boss lost his temper with me and fired me in December and I have been looking ever since. I have been on several really good interviews, that I was just sure would lead to an offer. No such luck. The only thing that I can sermise is that they have done a background check and determined that my credit is less than it should be. I went through a divorce in 1999, and it is now 2008. I would think that after more than 7 years...my credit score would be better. And anyway...employers know things happen that are out of our control...right? And, what diff does it make...I am very good at my job.

I have not been in the job-seekers market in years, but how can they hold my credit against me and not see that my experience and education more than outweight my dings on credit. I have never ever been arrested/conviction of any felony, I have only ever gotten minor traffic tickets. My second thought was that my ex-boss is "bad-mouthing" me. I was working 50-60 hour weeks (with no overtime pay) and I addressed it with him, and that is when he got defensive, lost his temper and that is when he fired me.

Honestly, how can my credit get any better without a job? I mean really! AND...is my old boss telling lies about me?

If you have any suggestions for me PLEASE let me know. I am open for any suggestions, and getting a little anxious...

Thank You!

I can really relate to what you are saying. I have been divorced since 1992 and my credit is not so good. I have problems finding a job and it's really hard when you are by yourself.

Stacy09 in Moreno Valley, California

70 months ago

legallyblondetxn in Dallas, Texas said: Okay...so I have been a Paralegal in the State of Texas (Dallas) for over ten (10) years now, my boss lost his temper with me and fired me in December and I have been looking ever since. I have been on several really good interviews, that I was just sure would lead to an offer. No such luck. The only thing that I can sermise is that they have done a background check and determined that my credit is less than it should be. I went through a divorce in 1999, and it is now 2008. I would think that after more than 7 years...my credit score would be better. And anyway...employers know things happen that are out of our control...right? And, what diff does it make...I am very good at my job.

Thank You!

TRY WWW GETVERIFIEDFAST COM They have verification services which can help you out for $20!

Karen S. in New York, New York

70 months ago

Don't know what your particulars are, but I'd get w/ the Dept. of Labor & put in for all the overrtime you were not paid. Unless you were management, it's the law that time aafter 40 hrs. pays at time & a half. I was a legal secretary (both temp & perm) for 15 yrs. +, if there's one thing I know it's that (was paid it from many yrs). If he was an atty, he should have known that.

See if you can have a friend call there & pretend she's doing a reference check, that way one can find out if one's being badmouthed.

As to the credit report & credit score, sorry, that's outside my that knowledge & experience.

Sorry, hope the rest helps you.

Karen S.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.