Are legal assistant job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most legal assistant opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

SAB in Marietta, Georgia

83 months ago

I am finding it very difficult to find a Legal Assistant position in the Atlanta metro area. I have the experience and education. I had actually researched the job market before I moved from Southern California to Georgia. I even flew out here in early April and meet with several companies who assured me that they had the positions. Still nothing. And when I do get the interview, I being told I have to much litigation experience or education. I feeling very much like a fish out of water. I am about ready to move back to Southern California

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Howard A. Seruby in Trenton, New Jersey

82 months ago

It appears that after reaching the age of majority, even though we have proven to be more reliable and less likely to job hop no-one is willing to even interview an-entry-level worker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CareerChangeCity in Southern, California

82 months ago

SAB in Marietta, Georgia said: I am finding it very difficult to find a Legal Assistant position ...

Have you worked as a legal assistant before? Have you you researched the legal industry? i.e., spoken to legal secretaries or paralegals who can tell you what it's really like to work for attorneys??? The answer to your questions about whether or not jobs are on the rise is "yes." The reason is that there is a shortage of secretaries for a few reasons: First, an overwhelming majority of legal secretaries hate what they do (because of how they're treated by the attorneys), and they are leaving the industry, either taking other admin jobs with less pay because they have no experience in another field, or they're going back to school to learn something entirely new altogether. The number of secretaries leaving the field is a lot more than the number entering it, and that creates a shortage. Also, I found out a couple years ago when interviewing for jobs in other industries that there are a lot of people out there who are aware of the fact that attorneys are terrible to work for and that law firms are often a very hostile enviroment in which to work. The interviewers always made comments such as, "Oh My God. I don't know how you can do that." One lady commented point blank, "I bet that was a sh+tty job." I got numerous comments about attorneys in general - keep in mind this was while I was in an actual interview. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the legal industry has a pretty bad reputation, even among many people who have never worked in it. Therefore, people are steering clear of this line of work and choosing something else instead. It's hard to attract people to this industry. Actually, the number of jobs isn't on the rise - it's the number of secretaries leaving the profession that's on the rise. Here are some more links on this site: www.indeed.com/forum/job/legal-secretary.html. Read others have to say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

BROOKE in Rochester, New York

81 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

im wondering the same things because im considering becoming a legal assistant how hard is it to find a job directly out of school?

Danielle in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

Legal assistant positions are definitely on the rise. A recent survey by Robert Half, a national legal recruiting firm, reports that the fastest growing practice areas are bankruptcy, litigation, real estate, intellectual property and corporate compliance. For more info visit:
legalcareers.about.com/b/a/000046.htm.

Anon in Carrollton, Texas

76 months ago

Totally agree with you! I have been in the field for 10 years and am considering going back to school for a career change. I have been cussed out, yelled at, and been told it's not enough - even if I worked a lot of overtime for trial many times(including weekends). I am a very hard worker, and I always give 100%. It seems no matter what you do they are rarely satisfied, but are shocked when you leave.

Eric in Cokato, Minnesota

69 months ago

My problem is a little different from the other posters. I graduated in September with an associates degree in paralegal studies in Minnesota. I've had to deal with everyone telling me that "oh you'll have no trouble finding work when you graduate". But sadly I've been applying everywhere, even with a good internship in Minneapolis and honors the only thing remotely that looked like an opportunity was another internship doing lackey work for mon-fri for 8 bucks an hour and 4 hrs per day. Could anyone give me some advice on what I'm doing wrong? The thing I'm worried about is whatever knowledge I think I gained in college is dwindling and will only continue to get worse if I don't use it.

Thank you

Eric

Jennifer in Saint Petersburg, Florida

69 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

There are no jobs. I've been unemloyed for 6 months now with no prospects. 30 - 40 people are applying for the same legal position. I am thoroughly disgusted with myself for having stayed in the legal profession for too long.

Jennifer in Saint Petersburg, Florida

69 months ago

Anon in Carrollton, Texas said: Totally agree with you! I have been in the field for 10 years and am considering going back to school for a career change. I have been cussed out, yelled at, and been told it's not enough - even if I worked a lot of overtime for trial many times(including weekends). I am a very hard worker, and I always give 100%. It seems no matter what you do they are rarely satisfied, but are shocked when you leave.

Agree with you. Disgusted with the legal profession!

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

69 months ago

If it makes you all feel any better, I have been in the legal field for 20 years (paralegal and secretary). I completed teacher certification last year and passed English 6-12. I have been unemployed since April, and doing substitute teaching.

I got a job online tutoring. Was supposed to start in October. It got odd, told many stories the contract didn't come through. Then they called me last week said to start last Friday. No training. The called today and said they weren't going to have me back. Since they absolutely loved me when I took their test, my guess in they did a background check (I had to do their application on my first day as well as the agency's application) and saw I just filed for bankruptcy.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.