Outsourced Transcription at my firm...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 138)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

galonglgs in Houston, Texas

67 months ago

Most are bright enough, but for whatever reason, couldn't go to law school!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jackie in Monroe, North Carolina

65 months ago

How is digital going to affect the work of medical transcriptionists? I want to take a course in medical and legal transcription but don't want to take them if they are on the way out. I would appreciate any advice on this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Has anyone heard of the "US Career Institutes Legal Transcriptionist/Assistant to Court Reporters" program?

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

65 months ago

There really is no such thing as Assistant to Court Reporter.

You may be interested in scoping. Scoping involves editing and making the transcript. However, you have to have the software, whether it be DigitalCat, StenoCat - and you have to buy the software (not cheap). Most court reporters do their own work. As for legal transcription, that seems like a waste of money.

Digital for medical transcription - unfortuntely, a lot of medical transcription is being outsourced to India because they're doing it real cheap.

It's not that they're on their way out, taking those courses will not necessarily get you a job, especially a course in legal transcription.

David in Tempe, Arizona

65 months ago

Annie said: I agree. I hate it too. I would never recommend anybody do this. It's a thankless job. Soon transcription jobs will be a thing of the past anyway when everybody switches over to digital. All the transcriptionists at the hospital/clinic where I work were just notified our jobs will be ending within a couple weeks. Nobody was sad to learn this because we all hate doing it.

As it turns out, the reality is that the switch over to digital is not all that instantaneous or ubiquitous, at least not in the legal community. Law offices tend to stick with what works for them. They usually don't want to take a risk on a new process when they've got a full calendar to handle and don't want to add the stress of learning & training that accompanies a new system. This is particuarly true for older firms. Lawyers who have been practicing for 10 years or more are not as likely to "go digital" as a lawyer who's only been hacking away for a year or two. Older attorneys usually don't 'twitter' either. But the younger ones do. But the younger ones don't have the client base established as well as the older ones. The older ones have the resources (more money available) but they're reticent to stray off of their well-tried and comfortable paths.
What it gets down to is you, as a transcriptionist, have got to sell your skills to your target market. It's up to YOU to get out there and line up the gigs. Go door knocking. One door at a time. That's how it's done.
Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Thank you soooo much for your input. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. This is a mid life career change and I want to do this as my last career. I enjoy transcribing and am looking forward to this new adventure.

dh in Northern CA, California

65 months ago

Jackie in Monroe, North Carolina said: How is digital going to affect the work of medical transcriptionists? I want to take a course in medical and legal transcription but don't want to take them if they are on the way out. I would appreciate any advice on this.

I would NOT recommend taking a course on transcription - not legal. I don't know anything about medical. Unfortunately, it seems that there is less of a demand for word processors now.

It's too bad because I loved word processing. For legal secretaries who are sick to death of their jobs and of dealing with attys, WP would be a good way to go if only the demand were there. There is atty interaction, but not much as I experienced it.

It seems that it's the older attys who used the dictophones. The younger attys are very computer literate and type their own stuff. Any WP they need is usually revisions - changes penned into a document that was printed out.

Asedaii in Hampton, Virginia

65 months ago

Certified paralegal with twenty-five (25) years of experience interested in obtaining employment as a legal and/or transcriptionist. Anyone able to steer me to a particular company etc.? I would love to discuss this with someone :) Thank you very much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Whitney in Mobile, Alabama

65 months ago

I am new to this forum and I have read and enjoyed the discussions. They are very helpful. I am registered with an agency, but nothing is happening with them. I am currently looking for full-time, permanent employment here in Mobile, but there are just no jobs out there. I would send out cover letter and my resume just to receive rejection letters. I have decided to re-send my cover letter but this time as a contractor, offering my services as a when one of their staff is out or if they need additional help on a project,etc., and this way I hope, I will better position myself to make contacts and hopefully land a permanent position. here in Mobile, I found that it is not "what your know" it's "who you know". Wish me luck!!!!

65 months ago

Michelle in Springfield, Ohio said: I do transcription work from home. I think that the most inexpensive way would be to find someone like me :o)
mvazquezpg@gmail.com

Michelle: What type of transcription equipment do you use and how much? I have been wanting to do transcription at homw, but I don't know which equipment to get. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Asedaii in Portsmouth, Virginia

64 months ago

Robin Jablonsky in Queensbury, New York said: Have you considered starting your own legal transcription company? Many major corporation and businesses are making the move to hire remotely, but if you have the acquired skills, why not make it work for yourself!? If you're interested, I like promoting LooPro. It's an online workflow automation and management solution designed for transcription companies new and old. You can read about it here - www.medcentricity.com/LegalTranscription.html - Good luck, and I hope this helps!

In your experience...do you think there is a market for legal transcription? I am tending to agree with dh in Northern CA, California. Further suggestions and/or comments?

Gian Rivero in Los Angeles, California

64 months ago

I know of ewordsolutions.com too. In my experience with transcription companies they are by far the best for accuracy and quick turnaround times.

legal in Charlotte, North Carolina

63 months ago

Hello, is anyone on this forum from the Charlotte area

Robin Jablonsky in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

Asedaii, to answer your question, there is definitely a market for legal transcription. Actually, iPhone just released an app similar to LooPro for the transcription profession specifically. Just like LooPro, you can send and receive files via your mobile device, which is a great accessibility for clients on the go, such as a lawyer!

As for dh's comment regarding young lawyers being computer savvy and/or doing it themselves...there is competition in EVERY market. In my personal experiences (recent experiences), you'd be very surprised how computer ILliterate some young people are! Unbelieveable to think, but it's the truth. While there are law firms that would prefer operating in the form of what dh commented on, there are ten others out there outsourcing their work! It's much more cost-effective to outsource transcription. Also, for the firms that have older CEO's and executives, it's easier to outsource vs. learning how to operate a computer...they're too busy!

Another example would be the medical industry. Some practices still prefer using in-house transcriptionists with the old dictaphone and tape method. Some outsource to offshore locations, and some use voice recognition software. With this competition, one might think that beginning a transcription biz is out of the question. In fact, now is the best time to begin ANY transcription business. Here are reasons why:

1. It's cost-effective for the employer
2. Outsourcing to a transcription service is more reliable. There is adequate coverage to cover your workflow demands, and in most cases you'll get your work back within 24 hrs of initial submission. You records will always be up to date!
3. Backup and security. Example, LooPro - your important data is electronic, so you'll never lose it to fire, theft, water damage etc. With multiple data centers across North America, you're vital data will never be lost! And with electronic records, you free up office space...no file cabinets

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RashmiP in Irvine

63 months ago

Hello,
I am Rashmi, working as a virtual transcriptionist for various companies as and when needed.I enjoy transcribing recorded files. The main benefit of being a VT is that I work in my convenience and from my home and earn a decent living.
As I can see, there is a high demand for virtual transcribers in this internet age.As a virtual transcriptionist, I am not limited to geographical boundaries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

David in Tempe, Arizona

63 months ago

I agree. The work is out there. The secret is to creatively market your skills in the area you wish to target. As is succinctly stated at the beginning of the classic Broadyway play, and musical, "The Music Man", "YOU'VE GOT TO KNOW YOUR TERRITORY!"

maryglare in Patna, India

63 months ago

Hi,
I have heard that the job of a transcriptionist is very profitable.I also want to learn more about it. In fact I am really interested in doing this work!!!Is there some specification for the job or anybody can do it????????I have got a good spoken and written English.Please help me.............
Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RobinJablonsky in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

It helps to have some background education in journalism, communications, and/or English. Also, depending on the form of transcription you're seeking (i.e. medical, legal, etc), you might want to research classes that you can take to ensure your knowledge of proper terminology is acceptable. Penn Foster has a good online medical transcription course, as does Career Step and many other online business schools. They are reasonably priced as well. For legal transcription, it helps to have some form of legal environment working experience such as a legal receptionist/secretary.

Robyn in Conyers, Georgia

63 months ago

For Robin Jablonsky, you sound very knowledgeable and I would love to pick your brain on LooPro and some other points you mentioned in this stream. I just started my own legal/general document transcription company in the greater Atlanta area, as I reinvent myself after being laid-off. I have one small private practice firm and and am 99% certain a State Government Agency job will come through at the end of the year. However, if it doesn't, I want to be prepared to hammer the marketplace. Are you willing to have an offline conversation with me? Thank you, Robyn

63 months ago

I agree with Robin regarding classes. For general and legal transcription, experience, a solid grasp of the English language, grammar, punctuation, legal terminology, etc. are more important. For medical, training is key. I am currently enrolled with Career Step, in hopes by diversifying my skills, I can remain employed. It is affordable, but make no mistake, it is difficult, so you must be committed. I am college-educated and a sales and marketing professional, who after being laid off, wants to move in a different direction and this course is hard. Look at the AHDI website for accredited programs. They offer you the best training, are recognized in the industry, and assist with placement.

63 months ago

Robin, you sound very knowledgeable and I would love to pick your brain on LooPro and some other points you mentioned in this stream. I just started my own legal/general document transcription company in the greater Atlanta area, as I reinvent myself after being laid-off. I have one small private practice firm and and am 99% certain a State Government Agency job will come through at the end of the year. However, if it doesn't, I want to be prepared to hammer the marketplace. Are you willing to have an offline conversation with me? Thank you, Robyn

Teresa Telles in Lakewood, Colorado

63 months ago

galonglgs in Houston, Texas said: Most are bright enough, but for whatever reason, couldn't go to law school !

Couldn't, or more likely WOULDN'T go to law school...

63 months ago

Ben, are you hiring?

Ben in Queensbury, New York

63 months ago

Robyn in Conyers, Georgia said: Ben, are you hiring?

Robyn, when we add new accounts, we either increase the work currently assigned or add from a list of people that have applied, interviewed and tested.

63 months ago

Thanks for the reply, Ben.

Nicki in Portland, Oregon

62 months ago

In case this might be useful to anyone, I work for an online company, Speakwrite. You can find it online. It is a good way to make money from home and it is a convenient way to get your work typed. To work as a legal transcriptionist for Speakwrite, as I do, you need to have experience working in a legal office for a few years. The company tests you and if you qualify you can work for them. They have very in-depth policies but it is doable. I've been doing it for quite a few years. The only cost to you is you must purchase a foot pedal ($70?) so you can hear the sound file to do the work. I did this years ago and am still using the same pedal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jdub in Washington, District of Columbia

62 months ago

RashmiP in Irvine said: Hello,
I am Rashmi, working as a virtual transcriptionist for various companies as and when needed.I enjoy transcribing recorded files. The main benefit of being a VT is that I work in my convenience and from my home and earn a decent living.
As I can see, there is a high demand for virtual transcribers in this internet age.As a virtual transcriptionist, I am not limited to geographical boundaries.

Hi Rashmi, do you have any info on any companies that might be hiring people who are interested in virtual transcriptionist. Presently I am here in the states but would like to work overseas so I can be closer to my family.

Thanks,
Jay

KYMomma in Independence, Kentucky

62 months ago

Replying to Nicki in Portland - thanks so much for the info on Speakwrite! I had gotten a recommendation to that company for online transcription several months ago, and have continually checked the site. Unfortunately, they are not hiring legal transcriptionsts right now - moratorium on applications due to an influx. Anyway - just wondering if the work is there. The website says there is enough work to keep you as busy as you want to be. I'm considering quitting a pretty decent paying legal secretarial job to do transcription from home for flexibility purposes but don't want to be stuck not getting the hours I need. I've enjoyed reading these responses and put myself in the introvert category. I've often said I'd be happy at work if I could enclose myself in my cube and have no human contact LOL. From the research I've done transcription is the way I want to go but just need to find the right company. Thanks again for the information.

cmm in Wenatchee, Washington

61 months ago

Annie said: I agree. I hate it too. I would never recommend anybody do this. It's a thankless job. Soon transcription jobs will be a thing of the past anyway when everybody switches over to digital. All the transcriptionists at the hospital/clinic where I work were just notified our jobs will be ending within a couple weeks. Nobody was sad to learn this because we all hate doing it.

Annie, you had a choice. If you hate transcription so much you could have found something else to do, a lot of people would have loved to have your job. If this is your attitude, your employer is probably glad to see you go.

StarSnip in Ashton-under-lyne, United Kingdom

60 months ago

I'm sorry but medical dictation is the result of a doctor or nurse having trained for years and having the clinical expertise and knowledge, the transciptionist merely repeats the words into text, and it is merely an illusion that you are medically qualified.

Ibis1025Florida in Hialeah, Florida

60 months ago

Another brainless loser said: People are under the misconception that attorneys automatically make a ton of money just because they're lawyers. They don't. Most of them, at least the ones I've known, take up to 10 years or better to start making a decent salary. They work their way up through the ranks of being associates i.e., grunts, in high-end law firms, etc. By the time they make partner, if they do, they've been groveling for a long time. If they happen to have the availability to start their own practice, they take another 10 years to pay off loans, build up their clientele, etc. I guess what I am saying is that the brainless losers have all been lawyers, at least in the sense of getting a respectable, well-paying job! As a medicolegal transcriptionist with my own independent contractor business, I began to earn a very good wage right out of the gate. I know that is certainly not the case for everyone, but I suppose I took umbrage to being thought of as a "brainless loser" by one of my purported peers! A qualified medical/legal transcriptionist has to be well educated, and has to have as much if not MORE continuing education than the persons s/he may be transcribing for. Example: As a medical transcriptionist, I have had to "re-learn" the language of medicine several times in my career depending on what type of speciality I was working with. So, my point was that referring to a transcriptionist, medical or legal as a brainless loser is really, really insulting. Hope you understand where I'm coming from?

Hi..i'm new hear I recently have grown an interest in taking an online legal transcriptionist course. I would like your opinion if it is worth it now a days. It would be wonderful if I could work from home since I have two young daugthers..Can anyone help me by giving me some feed back..Thanks...Ibis

Transcription Jobs in Hawthorne, New Jersey

60 months ago

Need some good transcriptionists who have done DIGITAL transcription. Send resume to Yardsley456@yahoo.com. Please copy/ paste onto email; no attachments. Include transcription experience and equipment you use to transcribe digitally (Express, Start/Stop, etc.).

If you can test tonight, Wednesday or Thursday on a general subject 10-minute audio clip, let us know ASAP. We’re looking for a “good ear,” as well as speed, good grammar and punctuation.

Note: This is NOT medical work. US workers only.

Interested in Ponchatoula, Louisiana

59 months ago

Btw Everyone, I've truly enjoyed reading this board. Thank you so much for such an informative and helpful conversation!

Lara 100 in Conroe, Texas

59 months ago

The temp agencies tell me to call or email them weekly so they can update their availability list. Do these agencies actually have such a thing as an availability list? If not, what is the purpose of the weekly call/email.

59 months ago

Lara 100: In response to your comment, employment agencies are probably inundated with potential candidates right now due to the economic conditions and high unemployment rate this country is suffering. I have worked for many temporary agencies and I would make it a point to e-mail or call them weekly just to make my name stand out in my recruiters mind when a call for a legal secretary does come in. They probably do have availability lists, but probably not updated that often leaving it up to you to contact them. I hope this helps.

Gebrielle in Charlotte, North Carolina

57 months ago

Thank you.

Lara 100 in Conroe, Texas

57 months ago

Heather in Houston, Texas said: Julie, I personally think the best way to go is Donovan & Watkins (Becky Abernathy) if she's still there, for recruiting, or Sandy Twyman at Quest Personnel - I've been at the same firm DT for 6.5 years and in 16 years of living here, it's the longest I've been anywhere because I told them exactly what I needed/wanted, and won't settle for and they took great care of me. Just a thought! Good luck! I have 23 years, so with 30, I can't imagine you'd have a tough time if you find someone who can truly appreciate it...

I contacted Becky Abernathy she is still there and was a total .....
Obviously, due to the economy alot of people are looking for work - I don't believe my "resume" is the problem! Becky and a couple of the other recruitors I spoke with were very rude and unprofessional. These people certainly aren't rude and abusive to their clients so why are they like that to people who register with them for work?

Tess in Las Vegas, Nevada

57 months ago

Yes, I did some transcribing over the internet for another company. This is a great solution for attorneys, however, if I ever did this again, I would have to do it for myself rather than another. When you obtain these jobs over the internet, you don't really know who you are working for. I ended up with a woman who wanted me to download one file at a time.... then upload, then download. Not only was I wasting so much time with their file transfer program doing this, but she was placing only the small minute or two minute files in the queue and keeping the lucrative files to herself. I have 21 years of legal assistant experience and obtaining employment in Las Vegas is tough so I tried it for 6 months. It was the most horrible experience making no more than $3.00 an hour one month and less than this in other months. I am not saying all online transcription is this way, but it is hard to know who you are working for when you find an employer like this online.

info@medpracticeflow.com in Export, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

That's why it is so crucial to ALWAYS get references AND call them. Never sign a contract promising any quantities and get everythning in writing.

Bill

57 months ago

info@medpracticeflow.com in Export, Pennsylvania said: That's why it is so crucial to ALWAYS get references AND call them. Never sign a contract promising any quantities and get everythning in writing.

Bill

Thanks Bill, but I had called and spoke with this employer before accepting the transcription position. I signed a contract. I held up my end. She manipulated her end. The pay was low, but the more I did, it was suppose to increase. I increased, she just kept finding ways to prevent me from reaching the threshold. Thus, the small files. I did as much review of this company as I could online prior to signing the contract and didn't find much of anything... maybe because she hadn't been in the business long at all (or at least the legal end, she claimed to have done medical online for years). When you need to work, you have to give it a try and hope for the best. I wish I could give others the name of this company so they don't waste their time as well, but not exactly sure that is appropriate. It's probably a good idea to look up names of some of these companies on your online consumer complaint websites... like Pissed Consumers, Ripoff Report, etc. I filed a few and reported to California authorities as well. The way this woman did business is illegal to call her employers contractors as she had to much control over the contractor... limiting the ability to make money for the people doing the work. She is under investigation, but with California's backlog and financial troubles, it is going to be a while before they can prevent her from doing this to others.

David Bear in Tempe, Arizona

57 months ago

Tess - you would do everyone a great service by identifying this person by name, e-mail address, etc. But the caveat (warning) here is to simply state the facts that you know personally to be true and accurate; i.e., tell exactly what you did, for how much, and how it all went down. The ONLY defense to libel or slander is TRUTH - and that's all you need! And when you speak it, it will be heard. Just be sure you can document everything that happened to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Okay, David, I know you are not only right, but if there is anything from preventing me from notifying other prospective victims, it would be unjust. Maybe any retaliation will expedite California's investigation or handling of my complaint. The company is called Task Transcription Service, Inc. The website is taskyes.com, the owners are a husband and wife team, Barbara Telle is the owner/operator and her husband was handling the website and accounting. I am telling the truth and have documentation to back this up. I worked several days, 13 hours or more with this company and with it's tactics, I never made enough money to get me off unemployment. In other words, I never made more than $393.00 a week. I am a skilled legal assistant with 21 years experience and knew very well how to transcribe legal documentation with great speed. Without integrity of the transcription business you work for, there is no way to financially survive. Be careful when you accept transcription contracting positions. As a contractor, if they control the amount of work and file sizes you download, or otherwise limit your ability by giving you time consuming tasks which you are not paid for, you are being taken advantage of and need to find something else. You only get paid for the lines transcribed, not for working through a series of time consuming computer programs (especially those with problems).

Also of importance to my claims here, aside from the various tactics used to keep my ability to transcribe a larger amount of lines per week at bay, this company's computer system was attacked by a purported previous employee. The system was down twice, once for over a week. When you cannot transcribe for over a week and do not make your quota, you lose the the prospect of raising your rate of pay per line. When you confront the issues, suddenly they find fault with all your work and judgments are made by unskilled individuals in the field of law (24 year old in my case).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

karen in Rochdale, United Kingdom

57 months ago

how can you tell if a transciption taken from a dictaphone covertly and then the information on the dictaphone is erased, what would you look for?

57 months ago

I retract that comment that I never made more than $393.00 a week. Looking at my records now, after their system crashed, they were extremely behind and at that time, after a week without any work, they sent me several audio files by email and I was able to get quite a bit of transcription done at a fraction of the time and made twice my weekly unemployment rate this one time. Their getting behind also proved to allow for larger files to be given to me.

57 months ago

Tess,
Thank you for your information. Trascribers everywhere can take notice.
As for the company, I am not sure if they are fully unscrupuous, or simply don't have their sh*t together; most likely, a combination of the two. In any event, you have pointed out a lot of the pitfalls which transcribers need to pay attention to and watch for out there in the marketplace.
Thank you for sharing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

LooPro in New York, New York

56 months ago

Karen - There is not much you can do about an erased recording... Hope this helps!

Legal in Rusk, Texas

56 months ago

I have worked as a legal assistant/secretary for 30 years. I would like to start doing legal transcription work from my home and would like advice on getting started (i.e rates) and where to best advertise my services.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

To Legal in Rusk:
I have determined that the most effective billing is to charge one penny per word typed. In this manner, it does not matter what size the margins are, whether it is in 12 point or 24 point, whether it is single spaced, double spaced, or triple spaced. It just doesn't matter. A typical double spaced legal pleading has about 250 words on it. A lot of people charge $2.50 per page double spaced. But in doing it that way, you have to keep track of margin size, font size and all that. By charging a penny a word typed, you eliminate all that. And it allows you to type at 30 words per minute, 60 words per minute or 120 words per minute - whatever you feel like doing, and the client's invoice is unaffected. Obviously, the faster you type, the sooner you will be done. But that is true no matter what. So, if a client has a 2 paragraph letter, that's fine. It won't cost him very much. If he has a 20 page pleading, it will cost him more, but your fee won't be based on how much time it took. Either way, you earn the same amount of money: a penny a word.

The second issue is whether or not to use those internet based typing programs. I personally think they're okay, but basically a bunch of crap. You get much better results from having your own tape transcriber (with foot pedal) and going out and getting to know your clients, face to face. That ALWAYS works best. As for marketing, the absolutely best way is to map out where you want to go pick up and/or deliver your finished work. Also, do not limit yourself to law offices. Insurance companies, real estate companies, wholesale distributorships (of almost any product) - all these resources are good potential clients because they all have letters, documents, advertising campaigns, etc., for which they may well not have anyone in the office who has the time to work on them.
I hope this helps.
Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

part of creation in Oakland, California

55 months ago

Blair Sloane in Warrington, Pennsylvania said: I hate transcription. Makes me feel like a brainless loser; a peon. Is there something wrong with me?

I'm not a transcriptionist, but sounds like your are in the wrong job. Even a garbage collector is not necessarily a "brainless loser", "a peon". All work contributes in this world: garbage collectors, janitorial personnel, doctors, delivery drivers, pilots, home care workers, transcriptionists... etc. Can't you see this?

part of creation in Oakland, California

55 months ago

Blair Sloane in Warrington, Pennsylvania said: I hate transcription. Makes me feel like a brainless loser; a peon. Is there something wrong with me?

Get another job, and don't put people down for doing "peon" work. Sounds like you should upgrade your career to use your brain more since you are complaining about feeling brainless. Go back to school or something. I don't know. A person can feel very satisfied doing "simple" work, and that's probably where they belong with God's gifts. Go where God wants you. Sounds like He wants you to use your brain more or something. He probably gave you a very intelligent mind, so look for what will satisfy you, and don't put people down for doing any type of "peon" work, not ever.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.