Outsourced Transcription at my firm...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 139 of 139)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

cherco in Bellingham, Washington

49 months ago

Jackie in Monroe, North Carolina said: How is digital going to affect the work of medical transcriptionists? I want to take a course in medical and legal transcription but don't want to take them if they are on the way out. I would appreciate any advice on this.

Don't do it!!! Medical transcription is a dying profession. My hospital just outsourced our department a few days ago. I worked there 21 years, had a great job, made good money and am now reduced to basically sweat shop mentality, production only at 9 cpl, now paying over 300 a month for benes, and no retirement other than what you put into it. Also they have dictation systems where the transcriptionist is totally eliminated so not sure even how long we will be with the service that took over our hospital's dictation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

riverclark in Trenton, Michigan

48 months ago

cherco in Bellingham, Washington said: Don't do it!!! Medical transcription is a dying profession. My hospital just outsourced our department a few days ago. I worked there 21 years, had a great job, made good money and am now reduced to basically sweat shop mentality, production only at 9 cpl, now paying over 300 a month for benes, and no retirement other than what you put into it. Also they have dictation systems where the transcriptionist is totally eliminated so not sure even how long we will be with the service that took over our hospital's dictation.

I would have to agree. My experience. Started in MT over 10 years ago. Good hospital job hourly with incentives for production. Decent benefits and option to work from home with only 1 day per month in office. Cherry job for a single Mom with 2 little kids. Lasted 2 years. Hospital gathered over 150 transcriptionists and told us they were outsourcing (to a company overseas in India who would give transcription cheap- but forget about mistranscriptions/quality and security of sending medical records overseas - health system could care less... all they see is the almightly buck). So all of us got a 90-day warning and job assistance (yeah rigth). Mostly all the companies they had at a Job fair for us were private services who paid piecemeal (by the lines) with little to no benefits. Nothing comparable to what we had with the health system. I later worked for another hospital which eventually did the same thing. I have worked for National Transcription services, as the above poster said 9 cpl, paying quite a bit for benefits. Nothing to say they want 98% accuracy on all resports or you will be fired. That is fine - quality DOES matter most -BUT if you drop down below a minimum production levels not only will your pay suffer to retain quality but they will remove your health insurance for not makiking line counts. I just took an hourly medical secretary job. Tired of working in a sweatshop

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

choff10031 in Houston, Texas

46 months ago

Sally in Danville, California said: Has anyone had any problems using an outsourcing firm for transcription??? I enjoy transcribing but it takes up the majority of my time. I will be happy if it will give me more time to get things done!!!

Sally,

I'm the gal for all of your transcription needs. I have been providing my transcription services to the legal industry for the past 10 years and would love the opportunity to provide my services to your firm! Look me up on Facebook (choff10031) or e-mail me at choff10031@hotmail.com!

C J

Toni in Holtsville, New York

45 months ago

Sally in Danville, California said: Has anyone had any problems using an outsourcing firm for transcription??? I enjoy transcribing but it takes up the majority of my time. I will be happy if it will give me more time to get things done!!!

I know this post it dated, but if you are still looking for transcriptionists - please review my website. I might be of service to you.

housev in Riverside, Missouri

44 months ago

I don't think we have any firms for transcription in Memphis, TN. If anyone knows of one, please inform.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

evanostrand in Seattle, Washington

43 months ago

i have switched jobs about two years ago and am doing transcription out of my house full time. The part of this job that makes it 1,000 percent worth it is that i can take it anywhere, do anything with my time that i want and i can still get my work done and turn it in. It's completely portable so if i want to travel once a month for two weeks with my husband, i can. Even if i have to work 2-4 hours every day while i'm traveling, that beats showing up to an office any day of the week.

Yeah, some are outsourcing to ESL people but you know, you get what you pay for and a lot of people (i mean a lot) think it is ridiculous to send English-speaking work to them. Plus, most court systems won't allow you to do that anyway, take the work overseas, so it's an issue, but not really a big one, i find. Most people don't want to edit their transcripts as much as they have to with an outsourcing company.

An example i like to use is if you need a pair of jeans. Sure, you can go to Wal-Mart and get the cheapest pair of jeans there, but there's only a very small chance they will last anywhere near as long as a pair of Levi's or [insert non-Wal-Mart brand here]. Same with shoes -- sure, you can buy them at Payless, and they will cost you less, but don't expect them to last as long as a pair of Eastlands or [insert non-Wal-Mart brand here].

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Whitney Tesdahl in Mobile, Alabama

43 months ago

I am an unemployed legal secretary and have been for over 1 year and there are just no jobs out there. I am also taking paralegal courses on line during my "down time". I have been thinking that I too would like to do telecommute work at home and my question is how do you start? How would you go about marketing your experience and skills and what price would you put on your experience and skills? Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

victoria in Vancouver, Washington

43 months ago

I have worked for the online company, SpeakWrite, for ten years, approximately. It is legitimate. You have to take some tests, purchase a foot pedal and then get started working. I'm not sure if they are hiring right at this time; they may be. But when they are, it allows you to work and get paid for your work.

Best of luck!

Darbi Nicole in Beckville, Texas

43 months ago

I am desparate for work at home. I have been a legal assistant for 30 years and my attorney moved to another town. If anyone can direct me to an actual company and their contact information, I would sincerely appreciate it. Thanks.

Whitney Tesdahl in Mobile, Alabama

43 months ago

I am interested as well! Any advice on how to market oneself to individual law firms in one's area to do freelance work at home would be appreciated. Also, how much to charge would be a plus! Thanks.

bearonweb in Tempe, Arizona

43 months ago

When I was doing freelance transcription, I charged a penny a word. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's basically $2.50 per double-spaced page. There are two giant advantages: 1) You can use your word processor's word count to compute the bill; and 2) [and this is the best part] it sounds way inexpensive. But it's actually quite competitive. Also, after you've done a quality job on a few $5 or $10 assignments, you stand a real good chance on getting a large project. Penny a word.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Legal in Rusk, Texas

43 months ago

I have worked as a legal assistant/secretary for 30 years and my attorney moved and closed my office. I am looking for at-home legal transcriptionist work from home. Can anyone give me names of any companies I can contact, especially in the Austin, Texas are. You help will be appreciated. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Legal in Rusk, Texas

43 months ago

I have worked as a legal assistant/secretary for 30 years and my attorney moved and closed my office leaving me unemployed. I am looking for at-home legal transcription work. I would appreciate it anyone can give me names of any companies I can contact (especially in the Austin, Texas area). Thank you for any help you can give me.

PamelaMartinTN in Jackson, Tennessee

39 months ago

I was a legal secretary/legal assistant for 14+ years and have been doing at-home (received/sent via email) transcription for a workers' comp firm in CA for the past six months. That assignment has now ended and I'm looking for another firm to transcribe for. I generally have a 24 hour turnaround time and am available to type 7 days a week. If anyone has transcription to be done or can point me to anyone hiring, it would be much appreciated. I've taken a few jobs on oDesk but just can't compete with the $3 per hour buds from India. Thanks!!

mary in Tampa, Florida

39 months ago

What is oDesk?

mary in Tampa, Florida

39 months ago

For anyone here "getting an itch" to search for odesk and scams and whatever, DON'T. I just did. I went to one website, was immediately taken to "something", and then my Norton popped and told me an attack was just blocked.

PamelaMartinTN in Jackson, Tennessee

39 months ago

ODesk and eLance are where freelancers of every possible thing can look for gigs. Employers post the job and take bids on it. Which sounds fine but you have people in India, Bangledesh, Nigeria, etc bidding 56 cents an hour, $3 for an 8 hour audio file, etc. And don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge those folks for putting out bids. If I lived in a place where $3 USD was a fair wage, I'd probably bid that low too! But for those of us who live in the US, it just isn't doable. Can you get work on there? Yes! But it's very difficult to make a living at it.

C J in Houston, Texas

39 months ago

Yes, I agree that ODesk and Elance used to be good places to get contract transcription jobs, and I was a paid subscriber to Elance for years until entry of the foreigners. I complained to Elance that we (the US-based folks) couldn't win jobs unless or until we bid what the foreigners were bidding and that was impossible for me so I have cancelled my paid subscription to Elance. I don't think there's one contract website for US-based workers only and that's what we really need. I have found out from people who have posted projects on Elance that the foreigners are not doing the job that a US-based contractor would provide and therefore I have seen several projects posted recently where they specifically said on US-based providers should bid! FYI, a few other contract type websites are www.Freelancer.com and www.Guru.com -- you may want to check them out too!

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

38 months ago

Ingobi - the only one this is going to help is YOU!!! You got your e-mail in there so people can contact you directly to give you work. No pun intended, but American work. We need our jobs too.

nellieghinger in Katy, Texas

27 months ago

Pam in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Hello,

I too enjoy transcribing. I am a scopist and transcriptionist. If you are still looking for help, I am interested. I was also a legal administrative assistant for six years.

I hope to hear from you.

Pam

My name is Nellie Ghinger and have been entrusted with my grand baby to watch after my son killed himself. I need to care for her full time and need to work from home. I am a legal secretary with 30 years of legal experience. Would you kindly give me some pointers how I can get into the the remote legal transcription business?

I need to know that I need equipment but can you recommend some companies I can trust and where I can get some honest work?

Thank you.

Nellie Ghinger

Jess in Palmdale, California

26 months ago

Hi Everyone, Okay, before I go any further, I 'have' read through all of these posts; looks like a great many of us are trying to tap into the Transcriptionist role from home (understandable with the current economic climate). My question is to those in the know (since most of the posts here are from quite some time ago), do you think this is still a decent gig to get into today? FYI, I'm a well qualified legal secretary from the UK but like many other folk, unable to find work out there at the moment. Working from home (and without interruptions from attorneys etc) I feel would be ideal. I guess one very important aspect is, what is the best way to attract clients? All commments and advice greatly appreciated :). Many thanks in advance...

mary in Tampa, Florida

26 months ago

Jess, I market myself. I have a Bachelor's in Business and an AA in paralegal studies and in court reporting.

Got business cards printed at Staples (only two weeks ago). I made a Hello brouchure. I have went to our website(s) for attorneys. So far I have sent out 70 "leads." Includes my resume, my hello letter (what I have to offer you) and my business card.

I am offering myself for one-day work to 1 to 3 attorney offices. No, I haven't gotten any calls yet. However, I worked this way as a court reporter back in 1981, and I made enough to have two brand new Camaros.

Jess in Palmdale, California

26 months ago

Hi Mary,

Just wanted to say very many thanks for the info - I appreciate it and it's obviously pretty sound advice. I love what you say about back in '81 - well done you! Fingers crossed for you this time round also :)

Legal Secretary in Grove City, Ohio

26 months ago

dh in Northern CA, California said: Hi Julie in Houston - I agree with you 100%. I thoroughly hate dealing with the public. I had a summer job as grocery bagger once. Each of us baggers had to take turns spending an hour out in the hot sun collecting shopping carts in the lot and stacking them in front of the store. The other baggers didn't like collecting the carts; so I'd take their turn and end up out there my entire shift, which I didn't mind at all. I didn't want to deal with the customers.

Re transcription, I loved it. I didn't have to deal with clients and rarely dealt with attys. I had a lot of legal secretary friends who hated it, and I can see why-you just sit there and type all day. You really don't need to use your brain, but I enjoyed it. I didn't deal with the condescending behavior coming from attys, I didn't get last minute projects, and no one ever tried to get me to work overtime. I didn't have all that rush stuff the secretaries dealt with every day. The job was drama free, yet the pay isn't much less then a legal secretary putting up with all that BS. Yes, I agree with Annie's comment above that it's a "thankless" job. I think that being a legal secretary was thankless, unrewarding, and a substandard way to have to spend 8 hours a day every day. It's a sh@tty way to have to make a buck.

Did you work online or in the office? Just wondering as I am looking for an online legal transcription job and don't want to take a chance on the scam jobs out there.

Legal Secretary in Grove City, Ohio

26 months ago

nellieghinger in Katy, Texas said: My name is Nellie Ghinger and have been entrusted with my grand baby to watch after my son killed himself. I need to care for her full time and need to work from home. I am a legal secretary with 30 years of legal experience. Would you kindly give me some pointers how I can get into the the remote legal transcription business ?

I need to know that I need equipment but can you recommend some companies I can trust and where I can get some honest work?

Thank you.

Nellie Ghinger

Nellie, first of all, I am so sorry for the loss of your son. The poster on here "Mary" was very cruel when she criticized you in the manner she did. I, too, am a 30 year legal secretary and took a buyout from my firm when they started downsizing a year and a half ago. I am also looking for honest legal transcription jobs so, if you find out how to go about this, please let me know and if I find out any reliable companies looking for work at home legal transcriptionists, I will let you know. Good luck with your job search.

26 months ago

Hi to all: I have just joined this forum and read many of the posts going back years. I have a legal transcriping business I work from my home. The work is slow coming - but it comes. I have clients from across the country that I have done various projects for - whether it was transcription via digital recordings or communication through email, fax and telephone. I work with two digital audio programs and both are very good. I have a website that draws clients, like I said, from across the country. NELLIE, your question about the type of equiptment needed was a very good one. In addition to being able to receive audio recrodingings, I have a standard cassette transcriber as well as a micro cassette transcriber. I once turned down a job because i didn' have a standard cassette transcriber at the time - went home - bought one on ebay - recalled the client and told him I would accept the job - and he ended up being a very lucrative client - made back my investment over 5 times. Havine various equipment allows clients the flexability to use whatever they feel comfortable with while dictating. Both machines were bought off ebay so they weren't that costly. Business cards are very important - always have them in your wallet and post at various locations like grocery stores, libraries and community markets - you never know - do not just limit yourself to attorneys. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

I have to comment on my own post - I should have reread it before submitting - without spell check and a sticky keyboard -my spelling left a lot to be desired - sorry -

iceman_reman in Makati, Philippines

25 months ago

This is interesting. WE have lots of resources here in the Philippines - paralegal professionals. But I have not heard of Legal Transcriptionist.. hmmm... To think our labor here are cheaper than any country and the law in the Philippines are mostly copied from US... :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

delynmonet in Rosedale, New York

23 months ago

Has anyone signed up with Speakwrite? I am interested in doing legal transcription and wanted feedback on the company. Their site looks amazing and is informative. I just wanted personal comments on them. I am a legal secretary with 25+ years of experience in Trust and Estates, as well as Corporate Litigation.

My position is folding as my attorney is leaving to serve as Of Counsel and planning to eventually retire. I would love to work from home doing legal secretarial work. Legal transcription would be an advantage for me to get started.

syvmom in Florida

23 months ago

Delyn,

I've been with SpeakWrite for almost ten years now and they are a great company to work for.

Betty J in Yucaipa, California

23 months ago

Toni in Holtsville, New York said: Hi to all: I have just joined this forum and read many of the posts going back years. I have a legal transcriping business I work from my home. The work is slow coming - but it comes. I have clients from across the country that I have done various projects for - whether it was transcription via digital recordings or communication through email, fax and telephone. I work with two digital audio programs and both are very good. I have a website that draws clients, like I said, from across the country. NELLIE, your question about the type of equiptment needed was a very good one. In addition to being able to receive audio recrodingings, I have a standard cassette transcriber as well as a micro cassette transcriber. I once turned down a job because i didn' have a standard cassette transcriber at the time - went home - bought one on ebay - recalled the client and told him I would accept the job - and he ended up being a very lucrative client - made back my investment over 5 times. Havine various equipment allows clients the flexability to use whatever they feel comfortable with while dictating. Both machines were bought off ebay so they weren't that costly. Business cards are very important - always have them in your wallet and post at various locations like grocery stores, libraries and community markets - you never know - do not just limit yourself to attorneys. Good luck!

Toni: Sounds like you are very successful at this business. I'd love to know what your approximate income is from transcribing?

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

23 months ago

I accidentally posted my response to the airline thread, they are probably wondering wtf.
OMG

I posted "if they could outsource sigmoidoscopy, they would."

Janean in Ballwin, Missouri

18 months ago

syvmom in Florida said: Delyn,

I've been with SpeakWrite for almost ten years now and they are a great company to work for.

Hi, I just started looking into speak write and your comment came up in my search. Are you still working for them? I am just so leary and would appreciate any words of encouragement.

Thanks for your answer, in advance!

Janean

deb@debsprofessionalservices in Yuma, Arizona

18 months ago

This is showing up as in Yuma AZ - simply as that is where I am currently physically located. Deb's Professional Services office is in our motor coach. I will make some comments on various replies, etc.

Many years in both the legal and medical fields in addition to other arenas has given me the opportunity to meet a lot of people and to learn about myself personally and professionally. I love working with ALL kinds of people, I don't like doing the same thing constantly. I enjoy transcription. I have a B.S. degree and varied educational endeavors as well -- I am lucky because this eclectic experience usually resulted in me getting to do a variety of things while working on-site and not getting stuck transcribing only. I don't find it mindless and take exception as others have done above. I go beyond just transcribing and compare previous records i.e. medications etc -- also important in medical because so many drugs sound the same. I check previous dose etc and if it is different, and Dr. did not note change - I bring to their attention. Same if there are inconsistencies or things that appear not to have been addressed in the legal files.

I began transcribing when it was via shorthand only and have advanced through the years. Current clients use a number of different methods. One is via telehone msg - (not recommended). Some are still using cassettes and snail mail, most are using MP3.

If you are working from home - unless you are going to physical locations, it should not matter where you are -- you are VIRTUAL. Of course network your local area, state 1st. Suggest you look at forums (free) such as VAF-- www.virtualassistantforums.com and that you get your profile on LinkedIn and become active in those groups (there are several legal and virtual-related groups).

Legal Secretary seeking Change in Cedar Hill, Texas

15 months ago

I have been a legal secretary for 23 years and was layed off in Nov. 2012. I really want to get out of the legal field and have applied to a lot of administrative assistant positions from working for the City, School District, Hospitals, and State jobs; however, I never get any bites. My resume is very detailed with administrative duties that is posted in the non-legal positions I have applied for. It looks like I am stuck in the legal field. The last three legal positions I have interviewed for at law firms have been working for demanding female partners and frankly, I do not want to do that again. Been there, done that. Does anyone have any advice how to get out of this field?

dovey in Saint Louis, Missouri

15 months ago

Legal Secretary seeking Change in Cedar Hill, Texas said: I have been a legal secretary for 23 years and was layed off in Nov. 2012. I really want to get out of the legal field and have applied to a lot of administrative assistant positions from working for the City , School District, Hospitals, and State jobs; however, I never get any bites. My resume is very detailed with administrative duties that is posted in the non-legal positions I have applied for. It looks like I am stuck in the legal field. The last three legal positions I have interviewed for at law firms have been working for demanding female partners and frankly, I do not want to do that again. Been there, done that. Does anyone have any advice how to get out of this field?

I have been a legal secretary for 25 + years. I was laid off last year (2012) can't find a job - after working for 46 years - no one will hire me...the employers think I'm too old for work and I'm NOT old enough for Social Security. My last job paid well...(I earned every penny) but, my most recent job interview wanted to pay me 60% less than what I last earned. Attorneys believe all the money belongs to them...and the "help" are worthless. Senior attys are retiring and the law firms are NOT replacing them, hence, no need for legal secretaries. The law firm I worked for used to hire about 10-12 first year attys every Sept. The last 3 years they hired 1 or 2 a year. The young sharpe attorneys do ALL of their own typing, while the senior attys are still trying to answer their own phone. I think it best to find another profession. My friend's daughter just graduated from law school...she is working in Illinois for $30K a year...what do you think they pay the secretaries in that office - ($9.50). Ain't life grand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Betty J in Yucaipa, California

15 months ago

I'm so so happy not to be working directly with attorneys any longer. I did it for about 30 years and I'm so done. I lost my job almost 2 years ago. I'm now a life coach and I'm doing some legal transcription from home. I didn't realize the extent of my dissatisfaction with that work until I wasn't doing it anymore!

Val in Griffith, Indiana

11 months ago

dh in Northern CA, California said: I would NOT recommend taking a course on transcription - not legal. I don't know anything about medical. Unfortunately, it seems that there is less of a demand for word processors now.

It's too bad because I loved word processing. For legal secretaries who are sick to death of their jobs and of dealing with attys, WP would be a good way to go if only the demand were there. There is atty interaction, but not much as I experienced it.

It seems that it's the older attys who used the dictophones. The younger attys are very computer literate and type their own stuff. Any WP they need is usually revisions - changes penned into a document that was printed out.

Have you checked out SpeakWrite? They are an internet based transcript service. they serve the legal community all over the United States. Have very strict rules, but you can make a decent wage.

JANETKISSHO in SYDNEY, Australia

10 months ago

I had problems first but U started enjoying solving them. Therefore I love transcription outsourcing work now. www.outsourcehow.com/is-outsourcing-transcription-a-profitable-option-for-entrepreneurs/
this site shows how it is profitable for entrepreneurs

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.