I Think I am About to be Eliminated

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Domestic Legal Underling in Severna Park, Maryland

55 months ago

My attorney told me in confidence yesterday that I should be prepared to be let go. She said she would give me a good reference. The problem is that the firm is not getting that much business. She suggested I keep my hours low (I am paid by the hour, not on salary). She's angry because she thinks I am more competent than the paralegal that they will keep, but the other one has seniority, has been with the senior partner for 15 years. I've only been at my job for two (hellish) years. Again, my attorney tells me I'm great, and she won't even let the more senior paralegal touch her work. I am so hurt and shocked. I'm 50 years old. I feel like I can't go learn another job again. Do I just stay until they let me go, or do I start looking? And how do I deal with my anger and frustration? I have literally busted my ass being a "legal assistant" and have been treated like a lowly underling by the senior partner and his paralegal; meanwhile, drafting emergency pleadings and other high-stress litigation stuff... sorry, I'm whining. But I am horribly depressed and almost want to just walk off the job, but I can't do that. I am just so hurt. Any advice to help me put this in perspective would help. Tell me to dust myself off and stop crying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

silldr in New Orleans, Louisiana

55 months ago

That is a pretty frustrating situation. If it were me, I would go ahead and start looking- that field is competitive and it may take a while to find a new job. unfortunately, in your case- most of the time seniority and having a degree will trump proficiency. i know it's hard to comfort yourself that it's not you, not personal. it's tough at any age to face going through the grinder of a new job, new people. can't just lay down and give up though! so, go look for a new job and it may be better! good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Domestic Legal Underling in Severna Park, Maryland

55 months ago

Thank you -- I did see two jobs today & applied for them -- although why I am persisting in working in this field is beyond me. No, wait a minute, I have worked in law offices where I felt reasonably okay... not miserable... you're right, this might be a good thing. After two years, I'm still uncomfortable where I'm working now (or, hanging on by a thread) and never did "adjust." So maybe it's all for the best.

Angellee in Tampa, Florida

55 months ago

I'm sorry to hear that. :( Whatever you do, do not just walk from your job! If you do, they will probably try to prevent you from obtaining unemployment because you "quit". You should make them lay you off. You might need unemployment compensation for survival until something else comes along. In the meantime, definitely start looking for another job. Best of luck in your search!!!

mary in Tampa, Florida

55 months ago

DO NOT WALK OFF THE JOB!!! Stay until they actually call you in and terminate you. I know it's hard. But you don't want to forfeit your right to unemployment.

While you are still there, if you can get an interview, get it; you never know. If it's been hell these last two years, then think of it this way - you are getting the opportunity to get out of hell. You might want to buy and real the book, "Who Moved My Cheese."

Look at it this way. You said it was two hellish years. You are competing with a Queen, and it's a competition EVERY day. (I know, I have been there.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

silldr in New Orleans, Louisiana

55 months ago

You're welcome. You could also try "administrative assistant" or "executive assistant" type positions. In general, they pay a little less but there are exceptions to that rule. And maybe getting away from lawyers would be nice! Again, best of luck. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LuLu in Chicago, Illinois

46 months ago

I feel your pain and hope you did find another position. I was a legal secretary for 15 yrs to one attorney then he was appointed judge and I lost my job when our office closed....as "Associate Judges" can not take their staff with them. So, the day he was sworn in to his "dream" job was the day I lost my job. That was three years ago and with the economic times I have struggled and lost most of my money saved up for retirement. I am working now only part time for two attorneys with no benefits, no sick days, etc...I have no health coverage now and barely making it on the little wage I am making. Seems wrong to be just "kicked to the curb" after being so loyal for so long....I am still looking and praying for a break. Good luck to all of us who need good jobs and there are MANY OF US OUT HERE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

factprincess in Clovis, New Mexico

46 months ago

Domestic Legal Underling in Severna Park, Maryland said: My attorney told me in confidence yesterday that I should be prepared to be let go. She said she would give me a good reference. The problem is that the firm is not getting that much business. She suggested I keep my hours low (I am paid by the hour, not on salary). She's angry because she thinks I am more competent than the paralegal that they will keep, but the other one has seniority, has been with the senior partner for 15 years. I've only been at my job for two (hellish) years. Again, my attorney tells me I'm great, and she won't even let the more senior paralegal touch her work. I am so hurt and shocked. I'm 50 years old. I feel like I can't go learn another job again. Do I just stay until they let me go, or do I start looking? And how do I deal with my anger and frustration? I have literally busted my ass being a "legal assistant" and have been treated like a lowly underling by the senior partner and his paralegal; meanwhile, drafting emergency pleadings and other high-stress litigation stuff... sorry, I'm whining. But I am horribly depressed and almost want to just walk off the job, but I can't do that. I am just so hurt. Any advice to help me put this in perspective would help. Tell me to dust myself off and stop crying.

factprincess in Clovis, New Mexico

46 months ago

Just a thought, being in the legal field I am sure you are familiar with court reporters and transcripts. Court reporters hire scopists to edit their transcripts. It's your business, work from your home at your own schedule. I am sure you already possess the skills, aside from reading the court reporting steno -- which shouldn't take but a short time to accomplish. The reporter sends you the text file with a wav file, you read through it and basically are proofing. Don't know... just a thought. If you are interested, type in Scope School. My sister did it and has made a good living scoping.
Good luck.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.