When legal secretarial jobs are disappearing, you know things are getting bad.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 219)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Noelle in Pennsylvania

90 months ago

That was one thing about this field, you could always find a job...always lots of them advertised or you heard about them through word of mouth. Not anymore. (At least in the PA area it's bad...even in Philly).

I haven't been on these boards in a few months. Still no new job! I'm still STUCK at my horrible legal secretarial job. I had posted a while back about moving out of litigation and into corporate law/something in-house...well, that hasn't happened yet. I'm still tryin'!

In the past 3 months, I successfully landed just one interview...LOL! That's it. It ended up being for another law firm after all...ugh! I went on it anyway since I heard it was a decent place to work, and it was a different area of law which I hadn't done before. I felt that I had done well, but I knew by the HR woman's face that my salary may have been just a bit over what they'd be offering even though she said it was in their range (I even lowered my salary requirements before the interview). I know they were swamped with resumes (she told me this), and it would take them at least a week or two. She called me two days later to say I was being considered for the job and to discuss the job some more. Then, by the following week, she called again...to say the job was given to someone else (this was left on my answering machine). Well, at least she took the time to call...most times you just get the "rejection letter." So that's that.

And the job search continues on...........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Tampa, Florida

90 months ago

Noelle in Pennsylvania said: That was one thing about And the job search continues on...........

Mary's response: Life sucks all over. I'm in Florida. Been unemployed since April, didn't start looking until July because I would get a teaching job. I didn't. So subbing for $9.50 an hour. But Florida has always been bad market for legal jobs. At least you have a job.

For anyone on this website, I would suggest you don't give any indication of your name. It's too easy for attorneys and administrators to "come visit here", and you don't want a perspective employer seeing your name here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

JAC in San Antonio, Texas

90 months ago

Noelle in Pennsylvania said: That was one thing about this field, you could always find a job...always lots of them advertised or you heard about them through word of mouth. Not anymore. (At least in the PA area it's bad...even in Philly).

I haven't been on these boards in a few months. Still no new job! I'm still STUCK at my horrible legal secretarial job. I had posted a while back about moving out of litigation and into corporate law/something in-house...well, that hasn't happened yet. I'm still tryin'!

In the past 3 months, I successfully landed just one interview...LOL! That's it. It ended up being for another law firm after all...ugh! I went on it anyway since I heard it was a decent place to work, and it was a different area of law which I hadn't done before. I felt that I had done well, but I knew by the HR woman's face that my salary may have been just a bit over what they'd be offering even though she said it was in their range (I even lowered my salary requirements before the interview). I know they were swamped with resumes (she told me this), and it would take them at least a week or two. She called me two days later to say I was being considered for the job and to discuss the job some more. Then, by the following week, she called again...to say the job was given to someone else (this was left on my answering machine). Well, at least she took the time to call...most times you just get the "rejection letter." So that's that.

At least you got a call. Down here in Texas, they often don't even bother to send a rejection letter. Most legal secy jobs are gotten through word of mouth, or more so by knowing someone on the inside of a firm.

Good luck on your job search. Hang in there. You might think about leaving the field and working elsewhere. When you send out a resume, tailor it to the job you want to interview for and emphasize the skills you have that will fit that job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Noelle in Pennsylvania

90 months ago

Thanks for writing back.

I feel fortunate to still have a job in this job market/economy, but at the same time, I can't stand working there. There are many mornings where I feel sick to my stomach while approaching the building. I hate that trapped feeling, but I know I need to keep hanging in there until something comes through. It just surprises me how bad things have gotten in the legal area. Everyone always says how secure this field is, but it really isn't. This job market reminds me a lot of the way it was back in 2001, well, maybe it's much worse this time. I remember several friends in legal and some in the computer field who were unemployed for close to a year; others well over a year.

I'd love to get out of this field completely. It's something that I've been thinking about a lot lately. The only problem is what to do? Which direction to go? I've been keeping up with classes here and there, updating my skills, etc. I was pretty good with my savings, so I guess I could dip into that and go back to school part-time. I really don't want any debt when it comes to school, so I just need to choose wisely on the field. What's a safe job/field really...does such a thing even exist anymore?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

dh in Northern CA, California

90 months ago

Noelle in Pennsylvania said: Thanks for writing back.

I feel fortunate to still have a job in this job market/economy, but at the same time, I can't stand working there. There are many mornings where I feel sick to my stomach while approaching the building. I hate that trapped feeling, but I know I need to keep hanging in there until something comes through. It just surprises me how bad things have gotten in the legal area. Everyone always says how secure this field is, but it really isn't. This job market reminds me a lot of the way it was back in 2001, well, maybe it's much worse this time. I remember several friends in legal and some in the computer field who were unemployed for close to a year; others well over a year.

I'd love to get out of this field completely. It's something that I've been thinking about a lot lately. The only problem is what to do? Which direction to go? I've been keeping up with classes here and there, updating my skills, etc. I was pretty good with my savings, so I guess I could dip into that and go back to school part-time. I really don't want any debt when it comes to school, so I just need to choose wisely on the field. What's a safe job/field really...does such a thing even exist anymore?

Noelle, if you don't mind, how old are you? I left my last full time job at 39 to return to state university full time so I could finish my degree. I graduate this May, one month before my 42nd bday. I haven't contributed anything to my 401k or Roth IRA since leaving full time work almost 2 1/2 years ago. I have depleted my entire life savings because my monthly income at 20 hours/week isn't enough to live on. I have no regrets (other than that I didn't get a degree while in my early 20's and that I even got into the legal industry in the first place). I just felt that the misery I had going to the job every day wasn't worth it, that I was willing to give up anything, spend anything in order to be able to make a career change

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deborah James in Alameda, California

90 months ago

Noelle in Pennsylvania said: That was one thing about this field, you could always find a job...always lots of them advertised or you heard about them through word of mouth. Not anymore. (At least in the PA area it's bad...even in Philly).

I haven't been on these boards in a few months. Still no new job! I'm still STUCK at my horrible legal secretarial job.And the job search continues on...........

Hang in there. I know exactly what you mean. I've stayed at some really crazy places because "at least I have a job." Legal support positions have got to be the worst way to spend an 8 hour day around. There are so many neurotic personalities.

I think the health field is fairly recession proof. There's just a lot of competition now because of this crazy economy. There's another problem: I had an interview with an insurance company a couple of years ago. The guy came out and told me that he felt that people who'd worked around lawyers would have attitude problems and he's tried to keep his place of employ "civil...we don't yell and scream around here. Besides, if you've been working for lawyers for 20+ years, all you know is hearsay disorganization."

I'm looking to get out of legal as well. Keep sending out resumes, emphasize your ability to function under pressure, multi-task, etc...you know the drill.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary A in Florissant, Missouri

90 months ago

I have been out of a job as a legal secretary/assistat since last January. I also happen to be 55--not a good combination. Have had exactly 4 weeks of temping--it was a temp to perm job and then my father passed away the day after labor day--I took off a couple of days for the funeral, etc. The agency called the day of dad's funeral and told me I didn't have to go back there. Is that cold or what?????
BTW Don't bother with Robert Half Legal--they are crappy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Noelle in Pennsylvania

90 months ago

Hi, haven't been on here in a while. I'm home sick today with this horrible cold that's spreading like wild fire here on the East Coast. Everyone seems to sick right now...I knew it was just a matter of time before I got it.

Still looking, still no luck. I was hoping to get out of this place by the holidays, but I see that isn't going to happen. Oh well.

I'm in my late 30's (someone on here had asked me). I don't look my age--people take me for 10 years younger than I am. I guess that's a good thing, however it can be a mixed blessing at times because some people judge you because they think you are much younger and lack experience, maturity, etc. just based on appearance. I've been leaving my dates of education off of my resume because the age descrimination issue scares me. Even for someone in their late 30's. I had helped out an attorney once in my office who did employment law, and I was amazed at what still goes on today in many workplaces regarding age descrimination in the year 2008. It's unbelievable, really!

Now here's a new thing---lawyers dangling the bad job market/economy over your head. A friend of mine works at a different firm. She was telling me that where she works, several of the attorneys make comments to the secretaries about "how bad it is out there" when they open their mouths to complain about something (legitimate problems or concerns). It's sort of like they're saying, "there's the door, if you think it's so bad here, wait until you get out there...no jobs!" Needless to say, she's pretty disgusted where she works too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

You ought to be 55 and look it (LOL). I can't even get a job at a fast food place for $6.70 an hour! I put up with lawyers for 30 years and I would be perfectly happy to work at McDonalds. I am NOT going back to those slimy b********.
Mary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

90 months ago

Noelle, with your "youth", we would think you would get a job real fast? Are you both unemployed?

I am 51, and yes, unemployed. I'm worried. I'm very stressed. I am doing substitute (almost every day for $9.50) an hour. But I can't find a part time for nights. I know Tampa is bad. But Missouri and Pennsylvania are bad too?

90 months ago

Mary A in Florissant, Missouri said: You ought to be 55 and look it (LOL). I put up with lawyers for 30 years and I would be perfectly happy to work at McDonalds. I am NOT going back to those slimy b********.
Mary

Many legal support staff personnel would be happier shoveling s**t if it meant not having to deal with lawyers. Everyone I knew who's still working as legal support staff hates it. As Noelle pointed out above, there are lawyers who try to use the poor economy as a leverage for their complete lack of manners and inability to use common sense. Unfortunately, in this economy it's not as easy as it once was to just walk out the door. With the recent closing of some very large firms, now the field is really inundated.

I keep hearing about age discrimination and know that is very real; however I've seen lawyers treat younger people badly. I've posted before about the guy who fired a lady in her 20s because she asked him to stop cursing and screaming at her. He told EDD that she was fired for insubordination in an attempt to get out of paying UI benefits.

They (lawyers) are just ill mannered, rude, and although I've seen several people post about how "smart" they are, I sure don't see that. I often wonder how they got through Kindergarten, let alone college, and "professional" school.

90 months ago

I think their Bar Association meetings have special classes on how to screw over their employees. Doesn't matter what firm, what city or what state--they are interchangable jerks. They are so arrogant they are stupid. I caught this last firm in lies, violations of civil rights, labor laws, etc. so many times it wasn't funny.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JAC in San Antonio, Texas

90 months ago

Deborah: The problem is that most never went to Kindergarten, therefore, they never learned how to play well with others!

Its even worse to date or marry one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Noelle in Pennsylvania

90 months ago

I live right outside of Philadelphia area, and I think the job market is pretty bad (even for legal). Even the major Philly newspaper has nothing. There have been weeks with not one legal sec job posted...not a one. I'm working now (been there 3 years). I've been looking since late Spring/early Summer. I've only landed 1 inteview from resumes that I mailed out...that's it! Agencies are useless. The last person I dealt with at an agency said he had nothing but some temp work...he didn't sound very positive. (I really dislike using agencies anyway.) I did lots of research and sent out cold letters. I answered some ads. I asked around. Nothing. Of course I keep my own list of big firms to stay away from (word of mouth info)...far away from...LOL! Then there's the money issue. I've lowered my salary, however, if I lower it too much, that can also work against me in an interview (they can easily verify my salary range based on experience, etc.).

Like many of you on here, I want to get out of this field as well. If I do return to school, I will still have to get another job before this one sends me over the edge...LOL! I'm sure I'll only get offers for legal ones.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Noelle in Pennsylvania

90 months ago

I forgot to mention. Those that are hiring are certainly being flooded with resumes. The one interview I landed back in the Summer was like that. The Office Manager told me she received over 200 resumes in response to the one ad after a few days. She admitted that she didn't even go through them all. I think I just got lucky that she saw my resume and called me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

san diego sucker in Farmington, Illinois

90 months ago

I relocated to Illinois and having spent my whole legal life (20) years there. I loved working there and can't find a job in Illinois ot save my life. I'm temping at a retail store for minimum wage because I finally had to do something!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Well, I guess I am a bit more fortunate. My last firm - very old, very big, very "want-to-work-there", the attorney (board certified) hated me. I did stay two years. I am now 50. Although I have a BS degree and a paralegal degree, I guess I am looked at as being used up. The plan: Do I go look for a better job with more responsibility, or do I work on teacher certification? I took a year (at nights and weekends) to work on a Florida teacher certification course (on line). Then I took the tests (given every three months) - so the tests took time.

That guy finally got me to quit. I did not get a teaching job. But I'm not working at McDonalds or retail or call center work either. I am doing substitute teaching ($9.50 an hour). At least I have flexibility. I just got the call today to start at an online tutoring company ($12.00). Hopefully I will get a teaching job next school year.

89 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said:

That guy finally got me to quit. I did not get a teaching job. But I'm not working at McDonalds or retail or call center work either. I am doing substitute teaching ($9.50 an hour). At least I have flexibility. I just got the call today to start at an online tutoring company ($12.00). Hopefully I will get a teaching job next school year.

Good luck with that. I know quite a few people who entered teaching as a 2nd or 3rd career and were very happy there. I don't think that the education field has as much age discrimination as the legal field. In fact, when I was very active in the PTA, the teachers and principals were very encouraging of parents who were thinking about going back to school to get credentials.

Janet H in St. Louis, Missouri

89 months ago

Hey, if Mary A gets back on here from Florissant - I think I know you! Maybe not - but you sure sound like the Mary I worked temporary with for a long time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MsFitz in Los Angeles, California

85 months ago

Deborah James in Alameda, California said: ___________________________________________________________________

I keep hearing about age discrimination and know that is very real; however I've seen lawyers treat younger people badly. I've posted before about the guy who fired a lady in her 20s because she asked him to stop cursing and screaming at her. He told EDD that she was fired for insubordination in an attempt to get out of paying UI benefits.

They (lawyers) are just ill mannered, rude, and although I've seen several people post about how "smart" they are, I sure don't see that. I often wonder how they got through Kindergarten, let alone college, and "professional" school.

I was recently employed by a WRONGFUL TERMINATION attorney, after a couple of weeks on the job I began to catch on. The attorney has some mighty big control issues - all of the women who were previously in my position were fired after as little as 2 weeks. In the year before I was hired 5 different women held the job. Being I am a single mother of 2 and the only provider I had no choice but to try and hold my job without quitting. I received (and copied) regular degrading and abusive notes/memos from him. It is something he treats all his staff to. In January, the office did remodeling. Or I should say I did remodeling - I packed, moved, reassembled desks and offices while still attempting to do my regular job. On January 28th the attorney distributed a wierd memo dated January 26th to all the staff making all kinds of accusations. One of which was that his personal mail was opened and the next person who opened it would be fired. It was my job to open mail no personal mail was opened but EDD mail was the day prior to the Memo. The next day I arrived at work and after lunch was told I was being let go. He did not report any of my earnings to EDD and now has declined my eligibility stating I broke a rule. EVIL Is the only word I have

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

You have something. File an appeal for unemployment. Be sure you do it in writing - make it a legal memo. Be sure to use FACTS for your appeal. You have evidence. Send them copies of all the documents you copies where he degraded you. Also tell them how he treats the employees, statements he has made to other employees. Also, tell them how he went through five secretaries in one year.

He didn't report your earnings? Doesn't matter. Your bank did. Copy EDD with a printout of your bank statements, which show the bank deposits.

You should win your unemployment without a problem. However, do you have enough credits to collect unemployment? If you don't, you won't get it.

85 months ago

I sent them a daily summary of events for the month prior to my termination. Although I don't think anyone read it - I hope that it remains with my file.

I was able to prove my wages by my W-2 form and I had each and every check stub I had received.

I have enough credits for unemployment. The attorney simply told EDD that I was not eligible because I had broken his rule - which he has the bogus memo to back him up. One reason he is doing so is because he hasn't paid and is past due on his account (has been for some time) with EDD. He has always contested the other women fired receipt of unemployment. In fact, I read some of the letters in which he left pertinent information out. He fired a woman with 4 kids, the month her husband died....in the EDD letter he stated she made a vast amount of personal calls - SHE WAS MAKING FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS!

I am filing the appeal. Thank you so much for your response. It does help.

85 months ago

I should think it would be easier. If you only work for someone for a few weeks, and they dump you - I think that's a good sign. They hired her, didn't like her, or she couldn't do the job, and they dumped her.

If they ask you at the appeal about the rule you broke, tell them you just started, that it was your job to open the mail and you were not provided with that memo, and you really don't recall opening any mail you shouldn't have, and he never said anything to you about it.

85 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: It may be tough because you didn't work for the SOB that long, but along with collecting UIB you may have a wrongful termination case. You may be able to prove a pattern of abuse because he treated other secretaries the same way he treated you. That pattern would make your case IMO. The question would be whether they would be willing to step up to the plate for you. The degrading memos are also damning evidence. Yeah. But the long and short of it is so many attorneys are primarily evil in that regard.

I think you will eventually collect your UIB. Best of luck with your efforts. Try to find another industry besides law if you can.

Actually - although its a mystery why I boast this fact proudly. I lasted longer than any of the other women before me...even the one he liked - but she quit. I was almost there a year. I guess I have to be proud of something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: I should think it would be easier. If you only work for someone for a few weeks, and they dump you - I think that's a good sign. They hired her, didn't like her, or she couldn't do the job, and they dumped her.

If they ask you at the appeal about the rule you broke, tell them you just started, that it was your job to open the mail and you were not provided with that memo, and you really don't recall opening any mail you shouldn't have, and he never said anything to you about it.

Actually I was trained about opening the mail... the office manager showed me a small post-it note inside my cupboard door which itemized the mail which was NOT to be opened. (Of course as soon as I received his memo I copied the post it) I never opened any of those items. He had been overly abusive over the last month - I had just broken down my desk to be moved right before time to go home, the next morning at 7 am construction workers were to arrive, everything is boxed up and I had just disconnected the main phone when he walks up and hands me a memo on a client. I believe he was trying to make me quit and when it didn't work he had to make up SOMETHING.

I can honestly say to the hearing judge what happened, I just hope there isn't any "law-buddy" favoritism.

85 months ago

MsFitz in Los Angeles, California said: Actually - although its a mystery why I boast this fact proudly. I lasted longer than any of the other women before me...even the one he liked - but she quit. I was almost there a year. I guess I have to be proud of something.

I also did that - and what the hell for???? When I started with Frank, I made a choice. I started a program for teacher certification and was intending to leave after I finished certification and got a job. Frank hired Sharon as "supervisor". And Sharon did everything she could to make me look bad - and manipulated me to give my resigation. I did get unemployment. Because of the economy I have not got a teaching job, am doing substitute teaching.

Don't consider it admirable that you stayed a year - because emotionally and physically you paid a price.

85 months ago

Thank you so much for your replies. I feel like I'm at my wits end with the whole circumstance. I was terminated on January 29th due to his not reporting my wages I am JUST NOW getting the ability to appeal the EDD decision. I have thought the situation and the what if's over so many times, it is helpful just to hear new ideas.

THANK YOU!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: I also did that - and what the hell for???? When I started with Frank, I made a choice. I started a program for teacher certification and was intending to leave after I finished certification and got a job. Frank hired Sharon as "supervisor". And Sharon did everything she could to make me look bad - and manipulated me to give my resigation. I did get unemployment. Because of the economy I have not got a teaching job, am doing substitute teaching.

Don't consider it admirable that you stayed a year - because emotionally and physically you paid a price.

Emotionally, I've been a basket case. When I first got the position I thought it was a wonderful sign and my children and I were going to be able to do and have things that most do. Then I find out that the last thing I have is security and there's nothing I can do about it. Everyday I was terrified he'd give me the ax. I think the only reason I say it with pride is because if I can put up with him a normal human being for a boss should be a cake walk! ha!

85 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Absolutely. Ultimately, you do what you must to hold on to the job. I did. That's how I was raised and I would do it again. But I am sure I paid the price and am still paying.

I don't buy peoples' bullshi!t that they won't put up with bad treatment and will walk out without having another job lined up. It's nothing but hot air. They're not as employable as they think.

I have walked out on a job before, back when I was young, dumb, and not a Mom who is the only source of income! I did learn something about myself through the process, I am not one to keep my mouth shut when people are being jerks, cruel, or just downright stupid. Before I would have said it was impossible for me to, now I know I can keep quiet. It took so long to get that job, and there are even less openings for ANYTHING, ANYWHERE!

You know that is another thing that blows my mind. The attorney knew I was a single mom, had met my kids at an "employee Baseball game." It's not enough he decided to fire me without reason or warning but to try and screw me out of my UI benefits just because he doesn't want to pay his own bill. I couldn't live with myself if I did something like that!

Mary in Florissant, Missouri

85 months ago

Good luck! I have been out of a legal secretary/paralegal job for 16 months. I was "laid off" in January 2008 and had a temp-to-perm job in August 2008. My dad had the nerve to pass away the day after (their thought) and they had the agency call me on the day of his funeral to tell me not to come back! There are NO jobs for legal secretaries in St. Louis, temping or otherwise. I am 56 and I can't find a job doing ANYTHING. Tried every fast food place, etc. Dunno what I'm gonnna do.

85 months ago

Mary in Florissant, Missouri said: Good luck! I have been out of a legal secretary/paralegal job for 16 months. I was "laid off" in January 2008 and had a temp-to-perm job in August 2008. My dad had the nerve to pass away the day after (their thought) and they had the agency call me on the day of his funeral to tell me not to come back! There are NO jobs for legal secretaries in St. Louis, temping or otherwise. I am 56 and I can't find a job doing ANYTHING. Tried every fast food place, etc. Dunno what I'm gonnna do.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.

I know - I'm overly qualified to work at a fast food restaurant!

85 months ago

I worked for lawyers for 30 years--practically out of high school. I do not want to go back. I think I would clean portapotties first. Thanks for the encouragement. I have a couple of jobs I'm waiting to hear from, but one will take about a month. Hope I don't need to eat before then. LOL I am putting in a big garden and that will help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Sometimes life simply boils down to being practical. So you learn to keep quiet, primarily out of fear about your future. Sometimes you're better off holding on as long as you can until you're fired. As long as you didn't cause your firing, you are entitled to UIB. Yes, he had some nerve, all right. You also had a lot of nerve to attend his funeral instead of going to that agency's temp job that day.

I was fifty-five when I lost my job. While legal jobs have historically been tight around here, as with you I am sure my age worked against me. In any event, good luck with your job search.

You know what really gets me? I probably have enough nasty letters to prove a hostile work environment. It would have been easier for me to prove that if I had quit - instead I gave him the ability to invent his scheme and may lose my benefits. The only thing I did to get fired was give 150% - jump through hoops and do all my job duties with so much concern that everything be right - due to the fact that I feared I might be fired.

85 months ago

Mary in Florissant, Missouri said: I worked for lawyers for 30 years--practically out of high school. I do not want to go back. I think I would clean portapotties first. Thanks for the encouragement. I have a couple of jobs I'm waiting to hear from, but one will take about a month. Hope I don't need to eat before then. LOL I am putting in a big garden and that will help.

Well I hope you find something - while your there find me something too! LOL I keep telling my kids - Food is Highly Overrated! My 7 year old daughter has an idea I may be lying.

85 months ago

MsFitz in Los Angeles, California said: Well I hope you find something - ...

Ms. Fitz - I worked in both LA and Orange counties before moving to my hometown to go back to school full time and finish my degree. I just couldn't stand it any more. I'm almost 42, and I'm grading w/a degree in Economics. I can sort of relate to you. I have one kid - my daughter is almost 17, and I've been a single parent for 16 years. I do get child support. I also walked out on jobs when I was very young and then later took a lot of crap because I had to. I walked out on the first job I had right after moving here, then later I worked for the nastiest atty ever. By then I'd been here a year, my savings was a lot smaller, so I was stuck.

If you documented your atty's maltreatment and have photocopies, you may have grounds for a lawsuit. I agree with DLP above regarding the pattern of abuse with other secretaries. My best friend (a legal secretary), also in LA, has been involved in a lawsuit with her former employer for a while now, and the trial should be in the next month or two. Her atty told her that he loves going to court with cases like these because juries hate attorneys. Her atty deposed at least one former employee of this atty, and she had some damning testimony and was able to provide names and specific incidents of yet other employees.

Maybe you could speak with an atty and see if you have any options. Maybe there are other employees who'd testify on your behalf. Or maybe they would be too afraid. It's worth it to check it out. I hate seeing attorneys like that totally just get away with treating people like that. What I'm thinking is,"Tell me his name so I can go cut his brake line." My friend apparently has a very reputable atty who was referred to her by a court reporter who has owned an agency for 30+ years. He has the connections. If you want to set up an anonomous email add, I will try to get you his name if you're interested. Good luck

85 months ago

MsFitz in Los Angeles, California said: Well I hope you find something - while your there find me something too! LOL I keep telling my kids - Food is Highly Overrated! My 7 year old daughter has an idea I may be lying.

All of you be sure you apply for food stamps - and fight for them if you have to.

85 months ago

Thank you. Dad was 91. I too am overqualified for fast food, but after working for lawyers for 30+ years, it would be a treat to throw meat at people and make them go away. LOL Had a career--now I just need a job.

outtaworkfor a long time in Davenport, Iowa

85 months ago

Hey you guys I finally got a job i took a job as a receptionist secretary, its hard to be treated a bit less but its better than doing the restroom route, which I did, and while it is also a super honest living I have to admit I like working for the slimers.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Congrats!!!!! I have about 2 weeks of unemployment left. I have no clue what I'm going to do. You go girl!!!!!

85 months ago

I do get child support. I also walked out on jobs when I was very young and then later took a lot of crap because I had to. I walked out on the first job I had right after moving here, then later I worked for the nastiest atty ever. By then I'd been here a year, my savings was a lot smaller, so I was stuck.

I unfortunately do not receive child support of any kind for either my 13 year old son or my 7 year old daughter - never have. It definitely adds to the terror of the situation, even if it was $5.00 it would at least be that. When I started with the attorney my savings was 0.00. Luckily, once I realized what kind of person he was and found out about the other former employees I started putting everything I could away just to be at least slightly prepared. Unfortunately, it only lasted for three months - and if I had not received a Fed Tax refund we would be on the street.

Maybe you could speak with an atty and see if you have any options. Maybe there are other employees who'd testify on your behalf. Or maybe they would be too afraid. It's worth it to check it out. I hate seeing attorneys like that totally just get away with treating people like that. What I'm thinking is,"Tell me his name so I can go cut his brake line." My friend apparently has a very reputable atty who was referred to her by a court reporter who has owned an agency for 30+ years. He has the connections. If you want to set up an anonomous email add, I will try to get you his name if you're interested. Good luck

I did document the nastiness, I hope your friend isn't being represented by my former attorney employer who is a Wrongful Termination attorney. LOL

I don't know how to set up a private e-mail address - it might be an option. Right now - even if it simply made his life less than comfortable it would not hurt my feelings one bit! Thank you so much!

85 months ago

MsFitz in Los Angeles, California said: I do get child support...
I unfortunately do not receive child support of any kind for either my 13 year old son or my 7 year old daughter - never have. It definitely adds to the terror of the situation, even if it was $5.00 it would at least be that. When I started with the attorney my savings was 0.00. Luckily, once I realized what kind of person he was and found out about the other former employees I started putting everything I could away just to be at least slightly prepared. Unfortunately, it only lasted for three months - and if I had not received a Fed Tax refund we would be on the street...

I did document the nastiness, I hope your friend isn't being represented by my former attorney employer who is a Wrongful Termination attorney. LOL

I don't know how to set up a private e-mail address - it might be an option. Right now - even if it simply made his life less than comfortable it would not hurt my feelings one bit! Thank you so much!

Just go to Yahoo and set up an account with a bogus name, then send me the address. I woman from OC gave me her email address on this forum, and I responded to her with a bogus yahoo add. She wanted the name of a recruiter I used to use there. She also sent me her resume, and I forwarded it to a former coworker. I don't recall my friend's atty's name. Her atty is located out in the Ontario area. The atty she's suing is in Pasadena. I think she's working in LA now. The two of us used to work together on Wilshire near downtown back in '00 - '01.

theresa42 in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

85 months ago

everyone knows it's hard enough to find a decent job now, but add insult to injury, now all of the receptionist jobs are "must be bi-lingual" thanks , ALL of us need a job to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Even the legal jobs, many say bi-lingual preferred. If they do, then no point for "us others" to apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Not only bilingual--you also need at least a Bachelor's degree. I dunno, my nephew is going for his Masters and he's dumber than dirt.

theresa 42 in Stuart, Florida

85 months ago

i see alot of that too, don't they get it, it's only a receptionist position, not the company president position

85 months ago

The only thing that's good about finally taking the receptionist postion, okay besides finally getting a pay check again, is that they have a few secretaries that are not cutting the mustard and I'm on track to be getting another position so if you can suck it up and do the other tasks that you didn't use to do, at least its a position again!

85 months ago

I found out that your food stamps are quite difficult to get and you have to fight for them during regular work hours, but its sometimes worth it to keep food on the table

85 months ago

theresa 42 in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: everyone knows it's hard enough to find a decent job now, but add insult to injury, now all of the receptionist jobs are "must be bi-lingual" thanks , ALL of us need a job to.

I failed to mention that my replacement is bi-lingual - makes $1.00 more an hour than I did and has half the responsibilities I did.

85 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Even the legal jobs, many say bi-lingual preferred. If they do, then no point for "us others" to apply.

My 2 years of Spanish in High School and a year in College won't compete.

85 months ago

Heck no, not nearly the fluency that others do.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.