I think my boss is addicted to perscription drugs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

76 months ago

After two years of no raise and no bonus, be pleasant, get looking for a job (use your cell phone number only); then give your two weeks notice when you get something better.

I also had a job after court reporting, I got paid $300 a week, (assistant secretary), the other secretaries were getting $450. After my one year, I got a $37.00 bonus and a $15.00 a week raise. I went and got another job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lynne in Decatur, Georgia

76 months ago

Oh, I'm not really upset with "Bill". I think he became addicted because of the pain. I think he's an excellent lawyer (when he doesn't take the pills) and he's always given me great reviews; its just the firm is being stingy. I already submitted my resume to some headhunters. I know things are slow now so I'll be patient. Wish me luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Anony in Los Angeles, California

76 months ago

Ya know, things like this should not be taken lightly. Not too long ago, I had a boss who ended up committing suicide. I thought something was wrong days before he was successful, and for the longest time I wished I had said something to his shareholders/partners. I know that there is advice here that "Your boss is not your problem.", but we are human beings first and workers second. This type of attitude saddens me. I would do anything to see my boss alive, well and happy today. His death had great affect on many of the people he left behind, including me. Not that you have to be responsible for saving him, but It never hurts to check in with the other partners, who in turn can check in with him. There are many programs for attorneys available today (sounds like he might be an attorney) to assist with issues such as these. Attorneys have high substance abuse and suicide rates. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Thank you, Anony. Sounds like you understand where I'm coming from. Like I said, "not my problem" worked for about a year and now, I'm getting too emotionally invested and its scary for me. I have wrestled with this situation for quite a while but what kills me is how can the other shareholders NOT know that something is wrong? I want to go to the managing partner so bad but I feel Bill is just a big joke around the firm and they don't care. They joke about his bathing, his appearance, his alertness, etc. Plus, he was like this before I come to work for him and he's been there for at least 8 years. I DID say something to a paralegal once, about how he looked so tired and he should rest, not knowing about the drugs back then. Of course, it got back to him and he wasn't pissed about it; he seemed more concerned that he was treating me bad. But I don't understand why I have to be the one to say something is wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

On second thought, yes we do have an EAP for things like this. I think I will gently say something to him about it after I get a job. I don't want to tell him he's the reason I'm leaving but I would feel better if I spoke to him about possibly getting some help. In the meantime, I'll keep pushing to get the surgery, as I have done with him many times in the past. Thanks for your post!

Anony in Los Angeles, California

75 months ago

Lynne in Decatur, Georgia said: On second thought, yes we do have an EAP for things like this. I think I will gently say something to him about it after I get a job. I don't want to tell him he's the reason I'm leaving but I would feel better if I spoke to him about possibly getting some help. In the meantime, I'll keep pushing to get the surgery, as I have done with him many times in the past. Thanks for your post!

Sorry I missed your reply until now. Yeah, I understand... my boss had strange things going on for years too and everyone ignored it, including me. Anyway, it's a hard call. Sounds like he already knew you were concerned and is in denial anyway. Maybe you are better off just moving on. My situation with my boss was really heartbreaking. He was a real nice man and I really liked him. Good luck

68 months ago

Hi, everyone! I thought I'd give y'all an update.

Well, I DID find another job! I saw in our daily legal newspaper that a firm had stolen away a whole section of attorneys from another firm. An equity partner I used to work with left our old firm to become a shareholder at the thief firm. I right away sent him my resume and then a secretary who defected over there called me a couple of days later so excited about an opening and rest is history.

I accepted the job on a Friday so my belly was in knots that weekend knowing I'd have to tell Bill I'm leaving that Monday. I had to take a sleeping pill Sunday night just to get some sleep.

But I never did talk to Bill about his problem. I didn't have the courage (but I was all too happy to give that HR a-hole my week notice). I just said I got a much better opportunity at the new firm. He was sad, we hugged and I got puppy-dog eyes from him for the rest of the week.

But wouldn't you know it, I have another sick attorney! He has Crohn's disease and is very private about it. He doesn't take painkillers but I've been warned about his explosive temper at what he preceives is incompetence. I've made some mistakes but he hasn't blown up at me YET.

But after he shared that he has the disease, I understood a little better why he would blow up like that. I'm not excusing that behavior but I bet its no fun living with pain. Thank goodness he has a wife and three little boys and SHE can tell him to take it easy/work from home or go to the hospital when he needs to.

All in all, I'm happy where I am now. I got an $8,500 increase (yes, I was woefully underpaid), my commute is shorter, and HOLY CRAP, I'm getting an honest-to-goodness bonus this year! WOOHOO!

To all those looking for a job, I wish you the best and good luck. Just keep your ears and eyes open and be NICE to your coworkers. You never know who can help you get your foot in the door to another great opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.