Academic Librarianship

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Borges in New York, New York

68 months ago

Hi! My goal is to become an academic librarian, and I'm applying to start the MLIS program at Rugers in the coming Spring. I don't have a second MA (though I plan to get one once I'm working after I get the MLIS), although I do have 1.5 years of law school education. Also, I don't have any extended experience at libraries, only as a student library assistant for a couple of semesters at law school.

How hard is it to get a job at academic libraries? What would you suggest that I prepare? Also, if I can't get a job at an academic library right off the bat, what would be your career path suggestion?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

annalaurabrown in Salt Lake City, Indiana

66 months ago

If I were you I would seriously reconsider doing this. If you can afford to get your MLS without any student loans or debt then you might still want to do it. I have very high loans and can only get a part time job even after two years of looking. the job market for academic librarians is very competitive and tough right now. There are generally I've been told for most of the jobs I have applied for at least 100 applicants for every job. There are may too many people looking for the number of available jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Borges in New York, New York

66 months ago

Hi Annalaurabrown,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. If I may ask a follow-up, have you also tried to get jobs in other fields of librarianship (say public, &c.) while you are searching for academic jobs?

Thank you,
Borges

Kathy in Green Bay, Wisconsin

66 months ago

My mind is going in two directions..... you have some law school experience.... why not combine the two? Take the academic library track and elective courses in Government Documents.

At the same time, think about working a special library specifically as a Law Librarian. Look for jobs as a part time paralegal. Get yourself into the firm and see where it goes...

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.