Applying for out-of-state jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

ptlib450 in Queensbury, New York

43 months ago

Hello!

I am interested in finding out anyone else's experience with finding a librarian job outside of your current area. I received my MLS in May of 2010 and so far I have not been able to find a full-time librarian position. I am making do with a part-time paraprofessional position at a public library and a part-time reference librarian position at another public library.

When I was in library school professors, mentors, etc. all seemed to reinforce the idea that anyone willing to move would have "no problem" finding a job. I have applied for literally dozens and dozens of jobs all over the country, and I am absolutely willing to move, but I have only received responses from local jobs, nothing from jobs outside of my area. My resumes/cover letters are well written, clear of typos, etc., so I don't believe that is the problem.

Anyone else had this experience, or had any success with relocating for a library job? I would be interested to hear anyone's comments, experiences, advice, etc.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

green giant in New York, New York

42 months ago

I think that these "so called" library job openings are non existing and they are just advertising them for legal purposes and/or to keep their HR jobs as well. I feel your pain and there are many others in the same boat as you. I feels like we are wasting our time trying to get a job that does not exist. I wish you luck in your searching. Something will eventually come along.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tlc03 in Hendersonville, North Carolina

42 months ago

Hi,

I've experienced the same problem. I got my MLS in December 2008 and I've applied for all kinds of jobs in- and out-of-state. I have heard that libraries sometimes would rather hire someone local so that they don't have to worry about any moving-related problems the person might encounter. I guess since there are so many people looking for lis positions right now, we're up against candidates who are local, which makes it tougher to compete. The problem is that my own local system hasn't hired anyone in a long time (and has actually made layoffs).

Best of luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nj in Clifton Park, New York

42 months ago

do you have library experience? what type of professional job experience do you have? i think that makes a large difference. if you just have the MLS/IS, it is prob not enough.

ptlib450 in Schenectady, New York

42 months ago

nj in Clifton Park, New York said: do you have library experience? what type of professional job experience do you have? i think that makes a large difference. if you just have the MLS/IS, it is prob not enough.

Hmm..well, I worked as a library assistant at a public library throughout grad school and still do. I get a lot of professional experience without the title. I also had a graduate assistantship at a research library for two years while in school and a semester internship at an academic library. I have also been working part-time as a reference librarian at a public library for the past year. I have a ton of computer/IT skills, and what I believe is a pretty valuable set of transferable skills from my previous career in fundraising.
I was told by a prospective employer recently that I had "great skills and a great personality" even though she didn't hire me for a job I interviewed for.

Well, guess I'm just venting now. Thanks for the responses everyone :)

nj in Clifton Park, New York

42 months ago

that seems to be enough experience. just a matter of time and numbers; the more apps the more chances. at least u r getting interviews; the next step is not far off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.