Librarian work in the USA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Nisa in London, United Kingdom

82 months ago

Hello I am training to become a (doing an MA) librarian in England and I would like to work in the US after I have finished. Could anyone tell me what the job situation for younger librarians, is like in the US. I would be particularly interested in working in Florida or California.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

hedi in Pécs, Hungary

57 months ago

hi Nisa,

you written your note for 2 yrs but i would like to ask from u.
I have a diploma in library (i did it in hungary). Unfortunatelly i hv not got a job since ages however i want to work for a library, i am very intrested in kids and school libraries.
so do you know how can i get a job in the uk? is it possible? what kind of recquirements are?

many thx for helping in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nisa in London, United Kingdom

56 months ago

hedi in Pécs, Hungary said: hi Nisa,

you written your note for 2 yrs but i would like to ask from u.
I have a diploma in library (i did it in hungary). Unfortunatelly i hv not got a job since ages however i want to work for a library, i am very intrested in kids and school libraries.
so do you know how can i get a job in the uk? is it possible? what kind of recquirements are?

many thx for helping in advance.

Hello Hedi,

I think it might be easy for you to get a job in the UK, but with the country still in recession, I am not quite sure. You can check out the cilip website, which deals with library issues and employment in the UK.

Here is the website address of interest

www.cilip.org.uk/

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Nisa

Kristin in Culpeper, Virginia

54 months ago

Hi Nisa,

The two states you mentioned (Florida and California) tend to have a lot of librarian job postings.

Here are some good sites to check for postings:

ala.joblist.org

lisjobs.com

www.ischool.utexas.edu/jobweb/Search.php?bClearSearch=1

Each state normally has its own library association and libraries post job openings to the association's website.

I actually came across your post as I'm looking to work as a librarian outside the US. I'm currently a children's librarian in Virginia but would love to work in UK.

Good luck!

Kristin

Marie in Ocala, Florida

46 months ago

Actually, Florida Libraries are laying off staff and cutting back. As far as Florida librarian jobs in general though, the Panhandle, Tallahassee & South Florida are your best bets.

Nisa in London, United Kingdom said: Hello I am training to become a (doing an MA) librarian in England and I would like to work in the US after I have finished. Could anyone tell me what the job situation for younger librarians, is like in the US. I would be particularly interested in working in Florida or California.

Thanks

Alice in Long Beach, California

46 months ago

Library jobs are hard to find in CA. I have been searching for 8 months and the libraries here are on a hiring freeze (also laying off.) There is a lot of competition out here; you will need to have years of experience and/ or an MLS degree. However, once in a while something will open up but, expect a line of other interviewees and be prepared for rejection. Best bet for jobs is up the coast, San Jose, San Fran, etc. Land any position you can (page/ clerk,) opportunities will open up for internal employees for promotion. For example, at my old job where I worked for 5 years, I moved from a clerk, to office assistant, then library associate (with B.A.)

Just had another interview today (the third with same school, praying to land it.)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.