Prospects for IT -> MLIS transition?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

JB in Washington, District of Columbia

36 months ago

Hi folks - I've been reading a bunch of comments and questions here, and appreciate how helpful everyone has been. I hope you don't mind me popping in with a few questions.

I have about 10-13 years in the IT industry as a technical writer, programmer, and project manager, and am reaching the realization that I'm tired of the field. I've been strongly considering a program like Drexel's MLIS, as I have a strong interest in information science and see library science as an interesting adjunct to that. I've been to the ALA annual conference for the last four years and have the sense that the job market is absolutely dire for 'traditional' librarians, but there's some life in the more IT-focused side of things.

I was curious if anyone had any general comments or thoughts on specializations in library/information science that a) were challenging, b) made best use of a technical background, and c) is likely to have some job availability in the next few years. It's a specific request, but I've seen some good comments so far on the state of the profession, so I hope you can help me out a bit.

Cheers! - JB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.