Too many degrees - is there such a thing?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Loose_teeth in Toronto, Ontario

43 months ago

I have an MA in modern languages and am contemplating a combined double degree in library studies and digital humanities, with an ultimate goal of working in academic or rare books/ special collections libraries. Is there such a thing as too much education for academic librarians? Or perhaps would my time be better spent getting practical work experience (with only the library studies degree) and pursuing extra degrees while working? I'm leaning toward the latter but would appreciate any advice or wisdom from those who know more!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elly John in Kingston, Jamaica

43 months ago

Loose_teeth in Toronto, Ontario said: I have an MA in modern languages and am contemplating a combined double degree in library studies and digital humanities, with an ultimate goal of working in academic or rare books/ special collections libraries. Is there such a thing as too much education for academic librarians? Or perhaps would my time be better spent getting practical work experience (with only the library studies degree) and pursuing extra degrees while working? I'm leaning toward the latter but would appreciate any advice or wisdom from those who know more!

I would suggest you try to get practical experience. Also identify the opportunities for using the degrees that you have and that you are considering doing. I have two degrees and other diplomas, and my one regret is not having a practical skill, which i am now considering doing. Always think about your marketablity and the how practical the degrees are in advancing in this era.

Tiffany in Minneapolis, Minnesota

42 months ago

Elly John in Kingston, Jamaica said: I would suggest you try to get practical experience. Also identify the opportunities for using the degrees that you have and that you are considering doing. I have two degrees and other diplomas, and my one regret is not having a practical skill, which i am now considering doing. Always think about your marketablity and the how practical the degrees are in advancing in this era.

Elly John, what practical skill are you considering learning?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.