SAS librarian in London, United Kingdom

80 months ago

Welcome guys and girls!
Please tell us something about your librarian lives and hobbies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tay in London, United Kingdom

80 months ago

Hiya
I too am in Erope and am part of the CUKDEC program. We are a group that belive the dewey decimal is a terrible way of maintaining ordered integtrity of book arrays. If we want to encourage creativity and free thinking in our young people we need a more chaotic and liberal approach. Pigeon holing of a book into a certain range is narrow minded and quite anti freedom, is not the basic premise of a library the free sharing of knowledge? Surely the very act of categorising books into some pre concieved system curtails the very liberty and freedom books are supposed to promote?

I hope CUKDEC continues to grow at the fast rate it already is.

Kind Regards
Tay

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

MrTony in Leeds, United Kingdom

80 months ago

Mr Tay - I like your thinking. I can see how this random book distribution could be used to expand the knowledge of the user of the library. I could see how somebody looking for a book regarding the detailed workings of a frog sprocket manifold pumping valve could have their attention caught by some other book and low and behold they then become an expert in a new skill such as uphill gardening or fudge packing. However I think the random approach is flawed. What if I had had an accident and was bleeding to death and wanted a book on basic first aid. Obviously I would want to find my book quickly before my head fell off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

HamptonWick in Hampton, United Kingdom

80 months ago

But think of thescientific advances that could be made by random selection of any book. Once in a while.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.