What are typical lifeguard salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

madison in Madden, Mississippi

91 months ago

what are some of the salaries of a life guard

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

YMCA employee in Tampa, Florida

90 months ago

Aquatic facilities in the USA pay fairly well for lifeguards. Wages range from 6.50 to $18.00 /hour. The more certifications you have and the longer you've been in the field will greatly effect your pay. Swimming ability and teaching ability can help you gain a higher position as well.

If you are getting into the field of aquatics I would advise asking a lot of questions about how to obtain more certifications. ie: Swimming Instructor, Pool Operator, CPR/AED/o2/FA instructor, even official coaching certifications and Lifeguard Instructor Certifications. The more valuable you are and the more your facility spends on you will effect the amount the facility is willing to pay to keep you. Highly trained Aquatics professionals are in high demand. Especially in southern states.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ronald simpson parks director s.v.ny in Bronx, New York

90 months ago

rds with all c3rtifications necessary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

ronald simpson parks director s.v.ny in Bronx, New York

90 months ago

Spring Valley N.Y. not bronx looking for lifeguards

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

kyle in New Orleans, Louisiana

88 months ago

Host said: Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Getting the EMT B cert can help, but mainly thing that will really help is experience

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

luis in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

75 months ago

kyle in New Orleans, Louisiana said: Getting the EMT B cert can help, but mainly thing that will really help is experience

well i use to get 17.50 now that i got my emt b i get 28 an hour and i dont even watch the water u just respond as a first in any ems call within hour limits

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sunnybunny in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

74 months ago

I am lifeguarding for a special needs group with over 20 people, and i am only getting paid $8 per hour.I am the ONLY lifeguard and I drive to their location. I only lifeguard for one hour for 2 days a week. Am I getting ripped off? I am also certified in cpr, aed, and first aid. I have 2 years experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Liz in West Islip, New York

74 months ago

I work as a lifeguard for a unionized town. I get paid about $17.50 an hr and am guarenteed a 3% raise every year I stay with the Corps. I have my EMT-B, but that doesn't effect my pay at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Marc in Miami, Florida

72 months ago

luis in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: well i use to get 17.50 now that i got my emt b i get 28 an hour and i dont even watch the water u just respond as a first in any ems call within hour limits

I live in Miami - I have my EMT - How do I apply for a lifeguard job in Ft. Lauderdale.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brian allen in North Kingstown, Rhode Island

71 months ago

luis in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: well i use to get 17.50 now that i got my emt b i get 28 an hour and i dont even watch the water u just respond as a first in any ems call within hour limits

Currently a paramedic lifeguard for misq. rhode island . work fulltime for the town of south kingstown as a paramedic and relocating to florida boca , lauredale area. Hoping to find job as a lifeguard/medic or basic

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kyle Fredericks in Oceanside, California

70 months ago

Pool lifeguard in California 13. Beaches in socal start around 14 and go up. I wouldn't consider guarding anywhere for under 10, especially with an EMT cert...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Richmond, British Columbia

65 months ago

We get paid 17 starting and goes up to 23 with 500 hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

purolation in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

sunnybunny in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: I am lifeguarding for a special needs group with over 20 people, and i am only getting paid $8 per hour.I am the ONLY lifeguard and I drive to their location. I only lifeguard for one hour for 2 days a week. Am I getting ripped off? I am also certified in cpr, aed, and first aid. I have 2 years experience.

yes, they are ripping you off like crazy that is ridiculous tell them either increase your pay or give you more hours or tell them to go to hell

rob in Bronx, New York

46 months ago

im 25 just got thrown out of my house i am a certified lifeguard and need a job quick can i get some advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

nforest in Windsor, Ontario

41 months ago

In Southorn Canada where I live, the salary for a lifeguard or swimming instructor is $17.5 an hour and $20.6 for a pool coordinator.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hilga in Fort Collins, Colorado

37 months ago

i get paid $7.36 an hour, pretty low, its like 5 cents above minimum wage

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LGJ in Westwood, New Jersey

37 months ago

Hilga,
You can definitely find a better lifeguard job. Check out Lifeguardingjobs.com and search around. Paying a lifeguard 5 cents above minimum wage is a disgrace.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lifeguard Member in San Francisco, California

37 months ago

We have a great selection of Lifeguard clothes. Here is our website if anyone is interested.

lifeguard-tshirts.com/

Peace

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

needsanswerfast in Vancouver, British Columbia

34 months ago

Does anybody know what the wage is on the westcoast of cananda

toot in Sebastian, Florida

31 months ago

madison in Madden, Mississippi said: what are some of the salaries of a life guard

I've been a lifeguard on the east coast of florida for 7yrs now. I hold multiple certs. including EMT and I make $15/hr with benfits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

curiousitykeptthecat in Surrey, British Columbia

30 months ago

you have been in this profession for seven years and only make 15/hr so this brings up other questions like ... where is this approx like even states or Canada, and have you worked with the same company/rec center, and are your certificates transferable to any other area of public safety and health? One more i understand these are personal questions but how much would a life guard with your credentials make annually? i want to state that this is for grade twelve transition cred strictly for educational reasons. thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Willll in Stony Brook, New York

29 months ago

sunnybunny in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: I am lifeguarding for a special needs group with over 20 people, and i am only getting paid $8 per hour.I am the ONLY lifeguard and I drive to their location. I only lifeguard for one hour for 2 days a week. Am I getting ripped off? I am also certified in cpr, aed, and first aid. I have 2 years experience.

You ARE getting ripped off and you are in a bad position! As the ONLY lifeguard, you have no real help if anything goes wrong, and legally you are responsible. If you have to go to the bathroom and something happens while your gone, you'll need a good lawyer. Also the pay is bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

matt in Cincinnati, Ohio

26 months ago

i work at two pools in the suburbs. i earn slightly above minimum wage, about 7.90. jobs at amusement parts earn 10 aprox plus monthly bonuses. if you guard at one pool for a few years typically you will be offered a job managing where you can expect to earn 10-20 an hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

94kirkpatrick in Charlotte, North Carolina

17 months ago

I would say right away that you're getting ripped off. Your pay does depend on the company you're employed with, your experience, etc. But with your situation, you would definitely be getting ripped off. My question is, why did you agree to work for that amount of pay in the first place? I would have told them outright that I deserve to be paid more for such a vocational circumstance as yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

94kirkpatrick in Charlotte, North Carolina

17 months ago

rob in Bronx, New York said: im 25 just got thrown out of my house i am a certified lifeguard and need a job quick can i get some advice?

Find your local YMCA or Aquatic Center or a country club or your county's parks and recreation facility and apply to them all and then pick the highest bidder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.