You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

danny in Plano, Texas

74 months ago

ok

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Jared Fellows in Idaho Falls, Idaho

68 months ago

John-Moore in Sparta, Tennessee said: Would I need CDL license prior to joining the IBEW lineman apprenticeship because I am only 18 and can not get them yet. How much do lineman make. Is it easy to find a job.

hey im 19 years old. you should let me know when you find out. what if i dont have a cdl license. but i applied through mountian states line constructors and still nothing. maybe i should go to a lineman college. i dont know you should let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

zack-n-aubrey@hotmail.com in Muscatine, Iowa

67 months ago

I have a few questions . First I was wondering if their were any classes I could take and the steps that I would need to make to go about starting some type of apprenticeship ? I know that in this field of work alot would have to be hands on and not just in a classroom. Just curiuos if I got the classroom hours out of the way and any other school I would need to take to make myself more acceptable to hire ? Apprenticeship wise ? I am really interested in this type of work and would definitely love to someday have a journeymans card in this field ! Any information you could give me would be a big help! Thanks for your time !
Zack Whitsel

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

frank in Manahawkin, New Jersey

61 months ago

if you are going to study for the test, make sure to look over algebra a few times. i slacked on the studying and the test wasnt as simple as i thought. i passed and have an interview, but just study

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jared Fellows in Shelley, Idaho

61 months ago

what types of other things are also on it if you remember. but if you dont thanks for the help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Greg cosenza in Clementon, New Jersey

61 months ago

i appreciate all the extra knowledge on the situation guys, much obliged.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

fred in Grady, Alabama

56 months ago

Gregory Cosenza in Voorhees, New Jersey said: Hi, I am very interested in becoming a linemen with "N.E.A.T" and was also told you need cdl for quicker acceptance. But i would like to know what Class of the cdl is required to help my acceptance process? Any help would be great I'm going tomorrow to acquire my papers to start studying.
Thank You for you consideration,
Greg Cosenza.

you should go for a class a cdl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

fred in Grady, Alabama

56 months ago

Jared Fellows in Shelley, Idaho said: so do i join the air force as a electrician or a lineman electrician. im working as a residential electrician and i dont care for it like a thought i would. but i did do some light pole work and underground wiring and thought i might be able to fit in linemans and i really think i would like working on the lines up on poles. so you should let me know what you think thanks.

You cant join the air force as anything they will give you a test known as a asvab test and it places you into what would fit you best you cant choose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Ethan Bird in Buffalo, New York

56 months ago

Hey iam 18 yrs old and iam intersted in becoming a lineman for local 1249 i was wondering what would be helpfull in were to go for test and were too start i am finishing school in may and would like to get started as soon as possible. Thank you and iam looking forwoard to the reply!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ethan Bird in Buffalo, New York

56 months ago

Hey iam 18 yrs old and iam intersted in becoming a lineman for local 1249, I was wondering what would be helpfull in were to go for the test and were too start.I am finishing school in may and would like to get started as soon as possible. Thank you and iam looking forwoard to the reply!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

shwnfld in clarence, New York

54 months ago

Hey i'm 18 yrs old and am graduating in June i am also looking for lineman apprenticeship. Last year ECC north campus taught a program for a lineman apprenticeship and im not sure if this would be a program that you would be interested in as well. i'm trying to get them operating again.thanks and i hope to hear from you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RDD in Tulsa, Oklahoma

46 months ago

I'm looking for an IBEW certified power linemans school, Ive completed every thing except this certification course but am having a hard time find one.

RDD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jstockw in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

40 months ago

John-Moore in Sparta, Tennessee said: Would I need CDL license prior to joining the IBEW lineman apprenticeship because I am only 18 and can not get them yet. How much do lineman make. Is it easy to find a job.

I don't know about your state. In Oklahoma we can get a CDL A with intrastate restriction at 18. This just mean you can only operate a CDL A vehicle in state. If you want to drive out of state while operating a CDL A vehicle you must be 21. I would suggest checking into this technicality in your state, it may be the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony Plunkett in Hampton, Georgia

35 months ago

I live in Hampton Ga and I'm thinking about being a linesman can anyone point me in the direction to get started? How long do you have to go to school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pedring1968 in Makati, Philippines

34 months ago

I am pederito from philipines. i wanna be a lineman but i don't know where i get this Scholar offering for line man school? can be anyone point me in the direction to get started?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Blud Etampon in Mableton, Georgia

34 months ago

Hello, I'm currently attenting Southeast Lineman Training Center (lineworker dot com). I put an application into SELCAT to get started with IBEW. When you first start out, do you apply for union employers, or does the union program find you a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

KILLAHCAM in Las Vegas, Nevada

33 months ago

fred in Grady, Alabama said: You cant join the air force as anything they will give you a test known as a asvab test and it places you into what would fit you best you cant choose.

FRED FROM ALABAMA! you are a damn fool, as most idiots from alabama are. when joining the air force, or any of the armed services for that matter, the asvab is only to qualify to enlist and lists the jobs you are qualified to enlist into. they don't just pick the job for you based on your results. we live in AMERICA, not some communistic country, you dumbass. You get to pick the job IF you are qualified. so yes, joining as an electrical systems engineer in the air force is a great way to get yourself started as a civilian electrician, lineman, aircraft electrician, or any other career where you work with electrical wires and components. take it from me. PROUD USAF AIRBORNE RED HORSE (combat engineer) Electrical Systems Engineer for 10 years, and now in the reserves and working for a construction company as an industrial electrician making 70,000/yr and also on call as an aircraft electrician for $40/hr here at mccarran airport. all in all, i make about 120,000/yr. Can't really beat that. i know college graduates that dont make nearly as much. im sure fred from alabama's ignorant ass doesnt compare. do ya, freddy the fool?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

terrylj1967@aol.com in Canton, Ohio

29 months ago

I have been working for major power companies in Ohio since 1986. I worked for AEP as a transmission lineman for 15 years. Starting as a groundman and working up to line mechanic A first class. From there I went to First Energy/Ohio Edison. Sarting there as a class B distribution linemane working up to class A lineman and the last 6 years working as Line Serviceman/Troubleshooter. I recently applied for a lineman position in Florida for FP&L. They were very interested in me, but after 2 phone interviews I was removed from list of candidates because I did not have a journeymans card showing that i went through a 2 year program. I have been an IBEW member for 26 years. My question is, with my experience is there any way I can take a test to recieve a journeymans card without going through a two year apprenticeship. This has been very frustrating. I cant seem to find an answer. I called the Ohio Labor Board and just kept getting transferred around to different depts. Please......any help will be greatly appreciated...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

notchboiz1 in Pinole, California

28 months ago

Just so you all know Cal Nev JATC is currently accepting applications as of march 1 2012....Calnevjatc.org. I'm a 3rd step apprentice in this program and don't have any complaints. starting wage is around $30 hr and overtime is doubletime. Good luck gentlemen!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

steven in Eastland, Texas

27 months ago

I am from sweetwater,texas and western texas college in snyder offers a great electrical linemen class. its 2 years long but i just started and yall shld check it out. plus its cheep.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dan in Mosier, Oregon

25 months ago

I applied for a lineman apprenticeship in Feb and had my interview today. I busted my butt finding the time and the money to get my CDL and my flagger certification before the interview because it was told to me that they were very important. First aid/cpr/aed was important as well but I was unable to get that before the interview. What I took from the interview is that I am incredibly underqualified and will not place high on the list because I do not have any "experience". This aggrivates me because I did not recieve a straight answer on how to get the experience they were referring to. They were also not pleased that I took my CDL road test the day before my interview but that was the ONLY time I could be tested before my interview after it took me quite some time to make enough money to afford a vehicle to practice and take the test with. I am extremely demoralized at this point and would just like to know what suggestions anyone might have for me moving forward. I plan on signing all the books that I can as a book 4 groundman but would like to know if there is anything else I can do in the meantime while Im waiting for a call? I do not have the time or the money for lineman school, I need to work. ANY suggestions are greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

curtis in Fort Campbell, Tennessee

18 months ago

I have been in the active duty army for about 3 1/2 years and have decided that it is time to hang up the boots. I am very interested in the electrical field and specifically the electrical lineman career. As it stands I am looking into the Associated Electrical Contractors of Central Ohio(aeciec.org) Apprenticeship program for when I get out. It is a 4 year program with the end result being a certified electrician. My main question would be is this the best route to ultimately becoming a lineman, seeing as this is relatively close to my hometown, but any amount of advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to absorb as much information on this as possible to take the next step and better prepare my transition from soldier to civilian. THANK YOU

Maxwell Kombia in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea

10 months ago

I am a Linesman with Distribution maintenance in Papua New Guinea. I would like to be trained to a overeseas lines qualification especially in Australia or America Standard and get a linesman job in one of these countries. Please assist me in any line college the closest which is Australia or New Zealand.

Cheers

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.