Where to find entry level linux admin jobs?!?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

uberwebguru in Newark, New Jersey

32 months ago

I have noticed most of the Linux Admin jobs require several years of experience (5-10+ years experience) but where can one find entry level Linux Admin jobs for like fresh graduates or someone with 1-2 years experience.

Also what about internships? Where does one find those too?

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

guest in San Mateo, California said: No experience then no job.

Best of Luck.

With the above said, try pounding the pavement, knock on doors, get the word on the street that you are looking for work.

Americans are prerejected from IT due to H1B infestation and offshoring.

You are young and can change careers.

why the harsh comment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

guest in San Mateo, California said: Try to find a company with a LARGE IT environment such that you can work your way from a basic Linux systems administration job. AVOID "throw away" dead end "help desk" jobs with no opportunities for advancement. If you are EXTREMELY LUCKY and find a decent employer with a LARGE IT environment then get involved in the network administration as soon as possible with the company paying for your certs. Most likely it will be a Cisco shop and getting a CCNP and CCIE will definitely help.

Best of Luck.

I agree with you but where are those jobs at the companies with large IT departments?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

guest in San Mateo, California said: Well that is the problem.

Not many such jobs exist.

Why should I hire someone without any experience when I can get "brains for peanuts" being people with years of experience for close to minimum wage ???

Not every IT job positions are outsourced. I mean for serious mission critical businesses that operate withing the country and value integrity...they rather hire local talents.

Not every company is trying to save money that may end up biting them longterm. Outsourcing comes at cost as well. In some cases one can end up losing money or even losing a whole business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Renata in Menai, Australia

27 months ago

uberwebguru in Newark, New Jersey said: I have noticed most of the Linux Admin jobs require several years of experience (5-10+ years experience) but where can one find entry level Linux Admin jobs for like fresh graduates or someone with 1-2 years experience.

Thanks.

If you are interested in a volunteer position as a Linux technical writer please visit linuxcareer.com and specifically this job link: goo.gl/zx199 Such experience is always recognized by employers. It also provides other benefits. Have a look at the job details for more info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anna in Slovakia

15 months ago

uberwebguru in Newark, New Jersey said: I have noticed most of the Linux Admin jobs require several years of experience (5-10+ years experience) but where can one find entry level Linux Admin jobs for like fresh graduates or someone with 1-2 years experience.

Thanks.

Have a look at this job: jobs.linuxcareers.com/site/jobdetail/junior-sysadmin/262
For internships: jobs.linuxcareers.com/site/search?work_type[]=Internship

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.