need advise about carrier Path in Linux

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

rashidraja in boonton, New Jersey

74 months ago

Hi - i started to work on Linux as a hobby 6 years ago then i studied cisco and MCSE 2003 and completed the Certifications
I also went through a Course in Linux System administration and since then i did some good work on Linux like
configuring web servers - cache servers - kernel tuning etc
server installations through kickstart etc -i have a good exposure to Red Hat Enterprise 5 , Centos -Fedora Core
but i don't have any real world experience in Linux - now i am trying my best to get a job as Linux Operations / Support or Linux Technician / Jr linux System admin - i am willing to relocate anywhere in the USA - problem is companies are not willing to hire any Linux System administrators at entry levels - i want a job and carry my studies towards RHCE and advance Linux skills - right now i am not getting any job in Linux even i do have very good skills in Linux
any advise or help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Rashid

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ludvig in Berkeley, California

73 months ago

Make something yourself that you think would be useful. Or, make a totally fake and useless set of servers, and just pretend it's real.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

gmoney8138 in Hermosa Beach, California

50 months ago

Like ludvig said make your self an environment. I would start off by deploying and getting familiar with lamp as well as learning scripting (bash or perl). I would use either xen or vmware as hypervisor wich will allow you to deploy anything you like. Youll be able to practice disk management raid, encryption, ect. It also a good idea to get the hang of virtualization as it is the future in system administration. You can practice storage aswell install freenas or openfiler on a vm and create a bunch of virtual disk. The sky is your limit just get curious. You should get familiar with security, like locking down ssh, and using iptables. i can go on on but just get curious and u will be fine. It always good to look at job posting and go to interviews even though you know you we wont get the job but u will get the feeling of whats in need in the market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.