Getting a litigation paralegal job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

How did you get your start doing litigation paralegal work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Gertrude Dailey in Cincinnati, Ohio

76 months ago

I have recently graduated with a paralegal associates degree.
What steps or avenues can I take to land a job that offers a compatable salary as well as benefits toward a rewarding career with opportunites to grow in the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gertrude Dailey in Cincinnati, Ohio

76 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing litigation paralegal work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

There are some people out there that have paralegal responsibilities in their job duties at there place of work, but the possible salary is usually not included with out the degree, which serves as a negotiating tool for the position you may be trying to get.

Example:If you were to apply for the same position as I, who does have a degree, my chances may be better, but your work experience may also beat me out of the job, so it can go both ways sometimes. It just depends on what the employer is looking for. Was this a little helpful, I hope so.

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

76 months ago

Gertrude Dailey in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I have recently graduated with a paralegal associates degree.
What steps or avenues can I take to land a job that offers a compatable salary as well as benefits toward a rewarding career with opportunites to grow in the future.

I am a former Paralegal of 10 years. Getting the first job is tough. I would be applying in all avenues, legal or legal related. Insurance companies have not been affected by the recession, like other fields.

64 months ago

Getting your first job and what resouces you should attack to find the job postings:

Interesting enough, the paralegal school does not even inform us of a list of resources to attack. That is how helpful NOT the paralegal school is to you once you get the certificate.

SO these are the following resources I now know: (1) the paralegal association. They should have a Job Bank. (2) the legal newspaper with classified positions listed in back. (covers receptionist to attorney) (3) Lawyers.com- this is Martindale-Hubbel (the legal directory) on line. Go into the firms website under careers. As least you get a name of whom to sumit the resume to. (4) The newspaper in your area. (5) temp agencies in good times can get you started on legal assignments. (6) I got my start in Miami by hand-delivering my resume and cover letter directly to the firms. Walk in. Yeah - got 2 jobs that way. (7) the resource center for the paralegals at the school you just graduated from. Mine had a book of listings. Do not be surprised if a firm is advertising for receptionist or runner.

64 months ago

And as DLP as noted before: Use the good paper for your resume and cover letter.

And second, mail and fax both.

64 months ago

ONe more thing- while you are doing the job search, you are going to have to get a job, once you get your cover letter and resume prepared.

I mean a p/t job or f/t job doing anything that pays. In today's economy, that may mean delivering pizza.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

ONe more thing- while you are doing the job search, you are going to have to get a job, once you get your cover letter and resume prepared.

I mean a p/t job or f/t job doing anything that pays. In today's economy, that may mean delivering pizza.

Or working at night cleaning office buildings. Always a turnover in staff there- it should be easy- the cleaning part.

64 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: And as DLP as noted before: Use the good paper for your resume and cover letter.

And second, mail and fax both.

Additional comment: Buy the good paper only, mail in flat 8x11 envelope. It matters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Good thought, Cindy! I like that! It's all about presentation; also, standing out from the crowd positively.

I'd have mailed my stuff in matching business envelopes.

I used to do the same- until someone informed me about the "presentation". A nice flat cover letter and resume on good paper, arriving flat is way better presentation.

YOu got it.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.