How do I break into the paralegal field?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Lost in Massachusetts in Massachusetts

56 months ago

I've recently been laid off from my Finance job of less than 2 years (I held the post for only 18 months prior to being let go--fun stuff). And I literally took that job right out of school, so I can't even say that I'm an experienced professional, because with less than 2 years of corporate experience under my belt, I am clearly neither. In hindsight, I do realize that Finance is just not my cup of tea and that the job I had was not very suitable to my skills, as it was essentially a glorified data entry position and hardly involved any logic or critical thinking.
Anyhow, I would like to break into the legal field, but have no idea what that would require, aside from a (preferably ABA-approved) paralegal certificate, which I do not have for now. Getting a degree from an ABA-approved school like Suffolk U. seem to be terribly expensive (25K for a Paralegal Certificate??). I wouldn't mind volunteering for a law firm just to get my foot in the door, but I don't even know how and where to begin, since the idea of simply walking into any random law firm--only to be immediately turned down for lack of legal experience--is fairly daunting, to say the least. If anyone has any sound advice on what I should (or should not) do to get started, that would much appreciated. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.