Giving out personal information such as a ss# before going in for an interview ..........

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

starfish in Midlothian, Virginia

55 months ago

Just wanted to know has anyone else who is looking for a job experienced having to give out personal information before even going in for an interview? I have noticed that some companies mostly temp agencies asking for my ss# and sometimes even account information before they call me in for an interview. I know some companies want to do background and credit checks before they hire me which is fine however they ask for this information before the interview. I would think my Resume would be enough to get started. With this economy the way it is I am just a little nervous about scams. Recently there was a temp agency that wanted all this personal information and I have yet to give them my information and now I am not hearing back. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

yvidales@hotmail.com in Westminster, California

35 months ago

I am in California, and this is a very good question. I have the same problem, and I am researching for an answer. But as far as I remember, the employer must ask for SS# only after a job offer. As you said, agencies are asking for SS# even before any job offer, I think that is not correct. Nowadays, SS# is not included in job application format. By law, this number is not supposed used as identification mean. Medical institutions, or related business, are not using SS# as identification, this happened after a law related with this regard. Well, I will continue my research, I hope I have the luck in getting the right answer. But I do not know if this is only in CA, or in other states also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.