No LPN work, should I go back for RN?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Brenlar in Mason, Ohio

34 months ago

In Cincinnati: I got my LPN in late '08 and have done home healthcare (peds vent/trac/gj) part-time. Now that my husband doesn't travel w/work and kids are in school, I'm ready to work fulltime - preferably LTC. But no one will hire me! My home health work seems to count for nothing and because I don't have 1 yr LTC experience - I can't get in the door!!! So frustrating! I'm debating going back to regular brick&mortar nursing school to get RN (big$$$)? I've taken some online RN classes w/Excelsior, but w/o getting any clincal experience am worried I still won't get hired...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Shawntay Pritchett in Cincinnati, Ohio

34 months ago

Brenlar in Mason, Ohio said: In Cincinnati: I got my LPN in late '08 and have done home healthcare (peds vent/trac/gj) part-time. Now that my husband doesn't travel w/work and kids are in school, I'm ready to work fulltime - preferably LTC. But no one will hire me! My home health work seems to count for nothing and because I don't have 1 yr LTC experience - I can't get in the door!!! So frustrating! I'm debating going back to regular brick&mortar nursing school to get RN (big$$$)? I've taken some online RN classes w/Excelsior, but w/o getting any clincal experience am worried I still won't get hired...

I feel your pain! Currently there are no LTC's hiring full time. It's PRN only and anywhere you do get in they WILL treat you like crap. I usually dont attempt to steer pepole on which field of nursing to work in, but I would strongly advise against LTC's or at least do your homework and go to a facility that is majority geriatric because most LTC's are becoming full of former prison inmates, major behavior problems, and the drug addicted who have no regard for you or anyone else.

Brenlar in Mason, Ohio

34 months ago

Tks for the response. This is soooo frustrating! If not LTCs - where? How do nurses ever get started?!!!

34 months ago

Brenlar in Mason, Ohio said: Tks for the response. This is soooo frustrating! If not LTCs - where? How do nurses ever get started?!!!

I got my start at the Hamilton County Justice Center! That was an incredible learning experience. Try medical clinics, corporate health screenings, flu shot clinics or Google Non-Traditional LPN jobs. Submit your resume to Kelly Scientific Resources,Nursefinders,or TruStaff they will on occasion have great non traditional opportunites. Hope this helps & Good Luck on your employment search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Oh! I forgot to include dialysis nursing and Veterans Administration & to answer your original question, Yes Yes Yes go back to get your RN. I have been a LPN for 15 years & while I do love it....in this new weird employment area...the more education and skills you have to offer the better. If I could find full-time employment to pay for it I would be pursuing my RN degree online. Try not to get discouraged.

angy black female in Dublin, Ohio

29 months ago

try being black, or having an accent.Then you really cant get any work, they say when white america catches a cold, blacks get pneumonia.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.