What exactly do LPN's do?.. their daily duties?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Seven in Cleveland, Ohio

37 months ago

I want to go to school to become an LPN. But I do not know what it is LPN's do exactly. What are some of their daily duties? What type of patients do they deal with?
*And I do not want to be an RN, so don't bother telling me to do that instead because of better pay. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Bonnie in Warwick, Rhode Island

37 months ago

Hi- I have been an LPN for 4 yrs. I have worked in nursing homes, worked for agencies and at a psychiatric hospital. There are alot of opportunities for LPNs, but mostly at Assisted Livings and Nursing Homes. Also, agencies have alot of per diem LPN positions and they pay higher, but you don't get health benefits. They are phasing out LPNs role in the hospital setting, although with the supposed nursing shortage, I think it is foolish. I administer medications, chart on patients, vital signs, admit patients onto the unit, contribute to their care plans, document on nursing interventions and outcomes. The only thing I don't do is the overall nursing assessment and I don't do IV meds. However, there are hospitals/nursing homes where an LPN would do IV meds. There are alot of different patients you may deal with- it all depends where you are working. I have worked with children that have seizure disorders. LPNs also work with kids with G-tubes and trachs- but that is not for me. Alot of work out there with the elderly for LPNs. Also, some home care. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.