Are maintenance manager job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most maintenance manager opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Allen Flanagan in Brockton, Massachusetts

76 months ago

It appears that job growth for Maintenance Managers is shrinking, however so is the qualified pool of candidates for these jobs. Companies are spending more time searching for a suitable candidate and outsourcing more and more of the job function thus diminishing opportunities for move ups from the rank and file technicians or mechanics. Todays maintenance manager needs a four year degree in engineering or business and must be willing to run his/her department as a business unit being responsible for cost and productivity. There are jobs out there today for Maintenance Managers but you must be educated, experienced and ready to lead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Duke Stripling in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

74 months ago

I have noticed in my area that despite the fact that salary calculators indicate the typical salary for a Maintenance Manager is $63000/yr companies want to hire me for $45000-$50000. As far as I am concerned with the experience, proactive management style, and energy that I bring to the table it offends me that they offer so little.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Harry in Farmdale, Ohio

63 months ago

Duke Stripling in Rio Rancho, New Mexico said: I have noticed in my area that despite the fact that salary calculators indicate the typical salary for a Maintenance Manager is $63000/yr companies want to hire me for $45000-$50000. As far as I am concerned with the experience, proactive management style, and energy that I bring to the table it offends me that they offer so little.

My total compensaton last year was close to 120K. I don't know how much time you have in the field, but my first job as a maintenance manager for a large industrial/manufacturing concern paid 35K per year. You cannot compare all maintenance manager jobs. For expample, their is no way you can compare an apartment complext maintenance manager with a industrial/manufacturing Maintenance Manager -- The latter is going to work with complext automation, PLC's, CMMS systems, Six Sigma, PM, (Vibration Analysis, Fluid Analysis, Thermal Imaging etc. etc. etc. -- So the title "Maintenance Manager" is used quite loosely depending on the situation. ALso, the top earners in the field typically have 20 or more years direct experience, and an impressive track record of accomplishments with a long list of impeccable references.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

kehring in Centerville, Ohio

32 months ago

@Harry, well put. I too have been in the bussiness of maintenance for 30 plus years. 6 figure incomes are available to those with the experience, education and references.

This type of salary is paid to those that manage a large maintenance department and the scope of the job is heavy on the manager side.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.